Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Shit that pisses you off about Hardcore/music

bombidol - 10-19-2007 at 05:56 PM

Madball's inability to write a chorus.

next?

XHonusWagnerX - 10-19-2007 at 06:00 PM

Madballs popularity vs. older bands that are so much better.

gangs and crews scaring people out of going to shows.

Boston Beatdowns.

Bands that dont use Def-Star.

CR83 - 10-19-2007 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX

Boston Beatdowns.

bombidol - 10-19-2007 at 06:05 PM

I like madball, I just havent heard a fuckin chorus out of them in years.
Dont really get Gangs or crews here in Ireland thankfully. No one would stand for it.
Boston Beatdowns? FSU or whatever the fuck it is? Again, wouldnt happen here. There would be murder.
We use Def-Star so agreed. everyone should use them. anyone who doesnt is a sap. They need to start doin hockey jerseys though!

DAK - 10-19-2007 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisReed83
Quote:

Boston Beatdowns.

Word

bombidol - 10-19-2007 at 06:08 PM

Agnostic Front trying to be Hatebreed.

Wisdom in Chains lack of Irish dates.

the new bad ass guitar i illegally imported from the states not working properly. (not related to HC, but still annoying me)

Jamey Jasta not showing me his no-thumb.

joemaconmovies - 10-20-2007 at 12:19 PM

bands with ego problems / acting all fucked up when life is treating them pretty good. i have a specific example in mind but won't say who.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-20-2007 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bombidol

Hahaha that bugs me too! I also hated when I saw him with a DMS hat in an ad for something in Alternative Press.

I will also add to my list....

Everlast and Danny Boy from House of Pain being part of DMS.

So many bands that I think are purely METAL bands being considered Hardcore!

bombidol - 10-20-2007 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Hahaha that bugs me too! I also hated when I saw him with a DMS hat in an ad for something in Alternative Press.

I will also add to my list....

Everlast and Danny Boy from House of Pain being part of DMS.

So many bands that I think are purely METAL bands being considered Hardcore!

Big fuckin time.

Discipline - 10-20-2007 at 02:14 PM

The watering down of the genre.

Bands being the exact opposite of what hardcore used to be about, becoming the people hardcore was rebelling against.

Metal bands calling themselves hardcore.

Bands caring more about releasing 42 versions of the same 7" than caring about writing quality music.

Wannabe "tuff guys"

Gangs and crews getting over the ridiculous.

The existance of 20,000 different hardcore "labels," most of whom only release one 7" and then disappear.

The whole retro "posi" scene.

The stupidity that sXe has become. (I'm not edge, but I remember when it used to mean something, rather than being the stupid fad it has become)

98% of the bands that have come along in the last 10-15 years.

Most of the younger fans who seem to absolutely nothing about what hardcore is supposed to be about.

Trends- be they fashion, musical style, etc (Remember hwen all the bands had their own sound? What a concept.)

I probably forgot a few dozen. I'm a jaded old man.

DaveMoral - 10-20-2007 at 05:08 PM

Straight edge is a fad? I thought it was pretty much dead in the water...

The "posi" think bothers me too. I mean, most of the "posi" bands talked more shit than other bands and were bigger assholes.

JawnDiablo - 10-20-2007 at 05:39 PM

calling anything hardcore irritates me anymore....

clevohardcore - 10-20-2007 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Agnostic Front trying to be Hatebreed.

Wisdom in Chains lack of Irish dates.

the new bad ass guitar i illegally imported from the states not working properly. (not related to HC, but still annoying me)

^^^^^^^^^^ This is so funny on soooo many levels. thanks for making my laugh. I needed it.

clevohardcore - 10-20-2007 at 06:09 PM

everything is being called "HARDCORE". Clothing to auto commercials are now "hardcore".

People that hate on hardcore bands becasue they are still really good but they hate on them just to hate on them.

People that now think metal is better than hardcore because of?... I don't fucking know why.

bands like avenging sevtyfold and if I lay dead etc thinking they were once hardcore but now claim "metal" because it sells more now. GOOD FUCKING RIDDANCE TO YOUR SHITTY BAND.

Good Charlottes repping hardore and nailing NICOLE RICHIE. YOUR A DOUCHBAG WANNABEE WITH WEAK ASS FUCKING INK ON YOUR ARMS. GO POSE IN MORE "STAR" AND "OK" MAGS WITH YOUR SLUTTY GIRLFRIEND. YA SHE PREGNANT. WHO FUCKING CARES?

clevohardcore - 10-20-2007 at 06:10 PM

People hating on MADBALL. Seriously, that shit has got to stop.

bombidol - 10-20-2007 at 06:12 PM

Man, I love Madball. But seriously. Choruses.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-20-2007 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
People hating on MADBALL. Seriously, that shit has got to stop.

I love Ball of Destruction and a few songs here and there, but I just cant get past the image and the tough guy stuff.

bombidol - 10-20-2007 at 06:19 PM

Just dont buy into the tough guy shit. most of these bands are soft as butter. Neck tattoo's dont make you a hard man.

MyOwnWay - 10-20-2007 at 09:19 PM

I dont consider Madball "tough guy". They back it up. "Tough guy" bands are all talk. Madball's the real deal. End of discussion.

Danny Boy and Everlast are La Coka Nostra which is different than DMS.

Now for my interjection to the conversation. The thing that pissed me off most are the people that dont like Hardcore thats out now. Theres so many good bands people dont look for anymore or bother to try. Theres tons of shit bands, theres always been tons of shit bands. But classics and new comers are playing some incredible Hardcore right now.

clevohardcore - 10-20-2007 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MyOwnWay
I dont consider Madball "tough guy". They back it up. "Tough guy" bands are all talk. Madball's the real deal. End of discussion.

Now for my interjection to the conversation. The thing that pissed me off most are the people that dont like Hardcore thats out now. Theres so many good bands people dont look for anymore or bother to try. Theres tons of shit bands, theres always been tons of shit bands. But classics and new comers are playing some incredible Hardcore right now.

^^^^^^^^^^ this is true. there are some really fucking awsome bands now a days.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-20-2007 at 10:22 PM

Quote:

Ive seen pics of both Danny Boy and Everlast in DMS hats in addition to the La Coka Nostra stuff.

As far as Madball goes... I wont disput that they are real 'tough guys' but I just dont like that to push its way into my music. Why should I even know how tough a guy in a band I like is? Why do I want guys in bands I like to spend time in jail? Wether its all talk or totally backed up I think its all bullshit!

DANNY BOY

DaveMoral - 10-21-2007 at 09:53 AM

I'll say this about Madball, they are growing up and have pretty much left that whole tough guy thing behind. It'll always be with them because of 5 albums worth, but Legacy and Infiltrate the System aren't really like that. I think after Freddy's time with jail he got some perspective on all that thug shit.

Now, here's my gripe with Everlast and La Coka Nostra and DMS. Dude is a Muslim, and neither of those things are places a Muslim should be rolling. That's like an insult to me personally to see him rolling around with those cats when he sang about being Muslim on Whitey Ford Sings the Blues(though it was in such a way that you wouldn't know if you weren't in the know).

Discipline - 10-21-2007 at 10:42 AM

Quote:

I love finding new bands that are good, it's just hard to find any I like. I find most of the newer bands to be either shitty or generic, or both. A lot of the time I find a new band I like, it's dudes who've been around a long time in other bands. Prime example would be Skinheads Still Scare People. Great band that just put out their first record. The dudes in the band are Mike from KYI and Vinnie Value from NRSV/Warzone. So it's a new band done by old school guys.

tireironsaint - 10-21-2007 at 04:24 PM

People's inability to realize that 99% of what gets called Hard Core these days is anything but.

People who sit and defend to the death these Metal bands who sing the same songs over and over about being from the streets and being tougher than anyone else while playing endless metallic breakdowns as actually being Hard Core. Yes, Madball fans, I'm lookin' at you.

Gang bullshit.

Crew bullshit. Oh wait, I think I already said that one.

Bands claiming to be Hard Core while pandering to MTV and mainstream bullshit.

Total lack of any knowledge of the history of the genre that is on display by 99% of the younger kids who believe that they are coming up in the same scene I did.

Absolute ignorance of the people who try to claim that Hard Core has nothing to do with Punk Rock.

Like Discipline said, I'm always lookin' for new bands that are good, it's just ridiculously difficult to find any. I also agree that the best new bands seem to have a connection to great older bands, Slumlords would be my prime example of that. Unfortunately, Slumlords are also an example that those type of bands flare up and then disappear all too often. Maybe it's just my interpretation of events, but they seem to get fed up after being back in the midst of all these morons out there today.

barc0debaby - 10-21-2007 at 05:08 PM

I'm starting to get pissed about all this tough guy talk in general. If you are a violent person, sell drugs, rob motherfuckers and other acts of so called "toughness", then that lifestyle is of course gonna reflect in your music. Its what you know and its what you relate to. The stereotypical tough guy image has been created and cultivated by mere spectators to that lifestyle as much as it has been by active participants. I would never classify myself as a tough guy, even though I've been involved in alot of shit "tough guy" music talks about, from grand theft to selling crack, and associating with people that will bury you in the desert for a couple grand without thinking twice about it. But I also bust my ass for days on end proudly serving this country at sea. I enjoy a song about bustin heads, and I love listening to shit like Madball, LCN, Icepick as much as I do AF, Bad Brains, or Circle Jerks, but I can't relate to alot of the older bands as much as I can to this so called "tough guy" music. Drugs and thugs are just a normal aspect of everyday life and it seems like this in hardcore is often labeled and ostracized by people who are outside of the influence of the lifestyles that inspire "tough guy" music.

barc0debaby - 10-21-2007 at 05:11 PM

Plus, why anytime "tough guy" music is brought up, 95% of the time no band except for Madball is mentioned. If "tough guy" music is so rampant why don't I hear of all these so called "tough guy" bands? I can only think of just a handfull of these bands.

Discipline - 10-21-2007 at 05:41 PM

When I think of tough guy shit, I think less of Madball and more along the lines of Skarhead, Fury of Five, Vietnom, etc.

MikeCore - 10-21-2007 at 05:56 PM

The scene and what it's become in general.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-21-2007 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
Plus, why anytime "tough guy" music is brought up, 95% of the time no band except for Madball is mentioned. If "tough guy" music is so rampant why don't I hear of all these so called "tough guy" bands? I can only think of just a handfull of these bands.

Because Madball is the most popular band of that genre.

DaveMoral - 10-21-2007 at 08:45 PM

I don't think Madball really belongs there so much because of their music, but guilt by association with the likes of Skarhead.

More and more "tough guy" has nothing to do with DMS and everything to do with FSU and some of the shitty straight edge "tough guy" acts like xTyrantx with "Courage" Crew.

upyerbum - 10-22-2007 at 07:39 AM

Hardcore has become a sound. Much like "alternative" which used to be a blanket term to describe a myriad of sounds and attitudes has become a specific sound. The kids just have to get over the fact that what's new to them isn't new in anyway, and stop trying to change it and just roll with it. If you want to start some hippy metal band fine, just call it hippy-metal not hardcore. I have the same rant relating to punk rock, but really I don't make a distinction between hardcore and punk rock, its all punk as far as I'm concerned. I can remember people bitching that bands like AF were ruining punk, and it was too metal, 20 years ago, so I guess i could throw the Emo kids a bone and say I'm just old and cranky, but I won't.

MyOwnWay - 10-22-2007 at 10:53 AM

Quote:

I asked about this because I was curious, for some reason.

Big L, Slaine and Danny Boy are DMS. The only association LCN and DMS have in that regard. So we were both right.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-22-2007 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I asked about this because I was curious, for some reason.

Big L, Slaine and Danny Boy are DMS. The only association LCN and DMS have in that regard. So we were both right.

cool... good to know!

MikeFromInhuman - 10-22-2007 at 11:23 AM

These things piss me off:

- the lack of moshing at shows
- the lack of singing along at shows
- the lack of stage diving at shows
- the lack of printed fanzines

M.

clevohardcore - 10-22-2007 at 11:24 AM

SKINHEADS STILL SCARE PEOPLE

I heard the demos but had no idea the record was made. That shit is awsome. What is the label? I got to get that.

Discipline - 10-22-2007 at 03:07 PM

Koi records. Got my copy in the mail today.

Gooch - 10-22-2007 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
The watering down of the genre.

Bands being the exact opposite of what hardcore used to be about, becoming the people hardcore was rebelling against.

Metal bands calling themselves hardcore.

Bands caring more about releasing 42 versions of the same 7" than caring about writing quality music.

Wannabe "tuff guys"

Gangs and crews getting over the ridiculous.

The existance of 20,000 different hardcore "labels," most of whom only release one 7" and then disappear.

The whole retro "posi" scene.

The stupidity that sXe has become. (I'm not edge, but I remember when it used to mean something, rather than being the stupid fad it has become)

98% of the bands that have come along in the last 10-15 years.

Most of the younger fans who seem to absolutely nothing about what hardcore is supposed to be about.

Trends- be they fashion, musical style, etc (Remember hwen all the bands had their own sound? What a concept.)

I probably forgot a few dozen. I'm a jaded old man.

I think the old dudes 10-15 years ago were probably saying the same about the scene then.

Discipline - 10-22-2007 at 09:44 PM

Most likely.