Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

The Nation's #1 Anti-Obeisity Center?

CR83 - 1-14-2008 at 10:55 AM

The YM-motherfuckin-CA!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22612243/

Little Mrs. Reed83 goes to school at the local Y. They are an awesome group of people.

We had a family membership. It is a great facility but it costs $72 a month. At the time, I was the only one using it. I switched and pay $20 a month for my gym.

The Y had huge locker rooms. My gym does not.

BDx13 - 1-14-2008 at 11:26 AM

nice.
i've been thinking about joining our local Y recently.
beautiful facility, very reasonable price.

BDx13 - 1-14-2008 at 11:37 AM

Quote:

Many Y participants benefit from financial assistance, and even full membership fees usually are less than commercial health clubs. Yet a survey of 10,000 gym users, just released by the independent watchdog group Consumer Reports, found that health facilities at Y's and other nonprofit centers were generally better rated than big health-club chains.

CR83 - 1-18-2008 at 03:00 PM

I don't doubt that BD. There is also a large sense of community at our Y. It just doesn't make sense financially for us to belong to the Y near us. The pool is nice though. Pool or a pond.

BDx13 - 1-18-2008 at 03:06 PM

so did you find a gym member ship for your whole family that's cheaper?
ours Y is $88/mo for four, including babysitting and crap like that.
i paid that much for a single membership in brooklyn!

CR83 - 1-20-2008 at 09:56 PM

We don't go as a whole family. MRs. Reed83 goes to a "Curves" type of place but she's stopping her membership. We bought an elyptical machine for the basement that is getting some use.

We just don't use the whole thing as a family. If the whole BD Family is going to use it, $88 a month is a pretty good deal. Everyone is safe and getting healthy. Also, if it has a pool, all the better. The pool does wonders for the kids. Heck, one night a week could be workout for mom and dad while the kiddos hang at the day care center. Then another night of the week could be an all family swim.

BDx13 - 1-21-2008 at 12:08 PM

yeah, our local Y has an indoor and outdoor pool.
they also offer a babysitting service one night month.
not the usual 'we watch your kids while you work out' kind of babysitting, i mean, 'we watch your kids for three hours while you go on a date' kind of baby sitting.

of course, i still haven't signed up, but i plan to get to that this week.

CR83 - 1-21-2008 at 05:36 PM

Yeah, the "Kid's Night Out" thing is awesome. We have done that. What else is cool is that the people watching the kids are also some of the teachers from the school. They already know them and it makes it easier leaving them.

It has an indoor AND outdoor pool? Holy shit, that is awesome!