Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FINALLY! One gets what he deserves.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 12:29 AM
FINALLY! One gets what he deserves.

Fla. Girl's Killer Gets Death Sentence

By MITCH STACY, Associated Press Writer 25 minutes ago

A former mechanic convicted of raping and murdering 11-year-old Carlie Brucia, whose abduction was caught on a car wash security camera, was sentenced to death Wednesday for her murder.

The jury that convicted Joseph P. Smith recommended that he be executed, and the judge agreed. Smith, 39, showed no emotion Wednesday as Judge Andrew Owens read the official sentence.

Last month, Smith had tearfully apologized during a hearing, saying: "I take responsibility of my crimes. I don't understand how this could have happened. ... Every day I think about what I did and beg God for forgiveness."

He said he had taken heroin and cocaine in an attempt to kill himself before he abducted Carlie in 2004. Smith said he didn't remember much about that day and asked Owens to spare him for the sake of his family. His attorney, Adam Tebrugge, argued that Smith could lead a productive life in prison and be a positive influence on his three daughters if he was spared.

Owens discounted those arguments Wednesday. He said Carlie suffered "unspeakable terror and physical suffering" at Smith's hands.

Carlie's body was found four days after her disappearance on the grounds of a Sarasota church. News of the crime shook the community, and hundreds turned out for memorial services.

Carlie's stepfather, Steven Kansler, buried his face in his hands as Owens read details of the crimes before sentencing Smith.

"I thought I'd feel a lot different," Kansler said afterward. "But it still hurts. It doesn't change anything. I just feel that Carlie has been heard. Her soul is gone now. Now it's just a matter of time to wait to watch Joe Smith die."

Absent from the courtroom was Carlie's mother, Susan Schorpen, who is in jail in Pinellas County on drug and prostitution charges. She has said the pain of losing her daughter led her to institutionalize herself three times and take drugs to numb the pain.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 3-20-2006 at 06:09 PM

yeah, i've been keepin tabs on this case and I was hoping he would be sentenced to death. Now they need to get on with it sos he dosent prove a drain on an already strained economy. it's cheaper to kill em than to feed em, we need more death penalties handed out!!!!! seriously, fuck these animals, it should be slow and painfull too, fucks.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-20-2006 at 07:28 PM

I generally don't trust the justice system enough to manage capital punishment, but in cases like these I have a knee jerk reaction to just see 'em shot on the spot. Not sure a trial is even in order sometimes. If something like this happened to my kid I'd be like Sam Jackson in "A Time to Kill."

Endgame

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 12:05 PM

bury that fuckin shit bag quick

Go To Top