Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: get your oi downloadin on
Barnesey

[*] posted on 3-21-2008 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
Quote:
Originally posted by Barnesey
Cool, you're just promoting it. Make sure to hit as many messageboards as you can. I could care less at this point, too many shitheads do this to even give a fuck anymore.

Not to be the asshole here, but doesn't your website claim to re-release all this old stuff since it's too good to be forgotten? And how many people on this board (aside from me) knew that you put out the ALD album? So aren't these links helping that when one of the few people mentioned as good was ALD?

I realize that running a label takes money that I don't have to drop on production/promotion, especially in the age of downloading, so I definitely don't mean to sound like a total dick here. But a lot of shit comes in and out of press, and you should keep in mind that not everybody knows that. Hell, I plan on downloading the YDL stuff... it's semi-"in press", since Vulture Rock has the vinyl out, but I don't have a record player. And I'll probably take the Uprise stuff up there, even though rumor has it that Rob Daly is putting out the whole discography soon... and I'll buy that, too.

Bottom line is that downloading is reality, and you don't need to call someone a dickhead for acknowledging it and posting some links. The real question is how many sales you lost out due to downloading. You lost some, but you'll also gain some when someone who downloaded it goes and sings the praises of the "awesome band ALD I just heard". Does it even out? Probably not, but you knew that when you decided to release the thing.

And I'm surprised that Andy and/or Mark wasn't the first to complain, since one of those links has a bunch of Thorp/SG albums, including at least one Ducky Boys album... all of which I've bought.

I guess the reality is that you don't have to download the band's entire discography to check them out. There's a thing called myspace which most of these bands including A.L.D. are on. Like I stated above, I don't know why I even bother getting mad because everyone downloads anyways. How many of these people will go out and buy an A.L.D. cd or buy it off Itunes? I can tell you next to none. I put out this stuff so the the music is available again or for the first time and the bands can make a little coin. Maybe I can let them shake you down for cash? I've even paid A.L.D. even though I couldn't get paid by my distributor. It's not alot but I've paid them and they appreciate it. I've been working at record labels for at least 10 years now and I'm pretty sure I'm aware of the whole downloading phenomenon but it still bugs me when I go on a messageboard and entire albums that are still for sale are up. What can I say about the name calling? I have a big mouth and I'm pretty vocal on the internet and in the "real word" so I have no problem with accounting for my actions there as well. With all this expertise on the record label world, maybe you should start a label or just take over mine? With this attitude there will be no more record labels or record stores. That's fine if you support that but I actually like having them around. You contradict yourself in saying that people will buy it from this downloading and then go on to say that they will probably not buy it. We could argue about downloading till our heads spin and it will not change anything but it's my opinion. I'm not saying all this for people to barge my site and buy cd's, it's to provoke thought.

Live Fast Die Young
Push It To The Limit \'Til The Coffin Calls
Barnesey

[*] posted on 3-21-2008 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Oh, and no mention of the fact that VR still sells the Combat Ready CD?

John doesn't have the best reputation of having agreements between bands amongst other things.

Live Fast Die Young
Push It To The Limit \'Til The Coffin Calls
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-21-2008 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barnesey
Quote:
Oh, and no mention of the fact that VR still sells the Combat Ready CD?

John doesn't have the best reputation of having agreements between bands amongst other things.

Or releasing accurate pressing info! But hey, it does look like he makes about a hundred "test presses" for every release. Now every record collector can get one!!!

As for the other stuff, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. And I never claimed to have any business expertise and certainly no knowledge of running a label. It's a good point about myspace, but there are very few bands that I'll buy something from just because of 1-2 good songs.

I'm not so sure that I contradicted myself, but I didn't re-read my comments yet. There are three issues with how downloads affect labels, but nobody ever mentions them.

(1) How many people download an album and then buy it to support the label because they like it?

(2) How many people would have paid for the album but just download it for free instead?

(3) How many people download the album but never would have paid for it?

Most people fall into 3, which actually doesn't "hurt" labels, since they never would have seen that money no matter what. 2 is the one that really hurts labels. 1 helps, but I really doubt it offsets the losses from 2. So yeah, I agree that downloading hurts labels, but not usually the way people claim (downloaders in category 3).

But let us know if you sell a few copies of ALD and Pittbull this week, since they've both been mentioned in threads on this board. We'll find out if the Thorp boards support the labels or are just giant douchebags. :)

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 12:11 AM

Hey, I just saw this thread 6 and a half years later! I'll admit that I grabbed one of the albums because I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

File sharing is going to happen. I file share. That is, I'll give someone a copy of something I bought if they ask me for it. I don't see it as being much different than dubbing a tape for someone in the 80's or burning a CD for someone circa 2000. I won't upload something and then try to post it on the internet for everyone to have like I'm some sort of self nominated music Santa Claus.... that's what so many people do now.

The problem with file sharing is that people are so brazen about it. It is crippling record labels and bands. That's just fact. Would people be so brazen about going into Best Buy and stuffing Blu Rays down their shirt? If other bands had supported Metallica when they went after Napster then this wouldn't be the culture we live in. But it is and kids have grown up with the reality that music is free so they aren't going to change now.

Some of the justifications are hilarious - "they have enough money" for example. Well, so doesn't Steven Spielberg but you don't waltz right into a movie theater and take a seat like it's your right to see one of his movies. We reap what we sow. It won't be long before there is no new music and it will be the fault of those people that indulge in this behavior. I can afford to make records because I'm 37 and single with a decent job and no kids. It's a tax write off for me at this point. But if I was 18 again then I wouldn't even bother. I'd just find something else to do with my life. That's what we're in for with what would have been the next generation of bands. Even some long standing bands will just quit because it's becoming a losing venture. Why bother?

It will be interesting to see if opinions have changed in the last 6 and a half years.

Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 12:48 PM

my justification is that i got burned for thousands of dollars over the years on shit releases. i buy everything that i like, but i know that is the minority. the file sharing debate is kinda pointless because in a few years everyone will be streaming and simply owning music will be like owning vinyl. the whole thing was lose-lose from the start. if other bands had supported Metallica, too many bad tastes would've been left in people's mouth. the streaming model was right behind the smart phone craze. the whole file sharing thing was just an unexpected bump in the road.

the blame belongs to the industry for being out of touch and naive. if some 19yr old kid could make it happen, then the label guys could've used their millions to preempt Napster. instead of fighting Napster, they should've made them obsolete. they could've. but nope, they bent over, spread wide and let iTunes fill the hole.

the real problem is the internet has allowed so many people to get subpar quality music out there that the bar has been lowered. it's actually a turn off to kids for songs to have good production and strong songwriting. especially in rap. it's like the more off beat and retarded the rapper sounds, the better. shit like Kendrick and Future would've been thrown off the stage 15-20 years ago.

why bother?

same reason that DRI were homeless and eating at soup kitchens in San Francisco. same reason Metallica was dirt poor the first few albums. same reason Jon Fogerty kept going after he got raped for all those Credence songs. love of music. personally, i would rather be dead than entertain the thought of any kind of life where writing, performing and listening to music wasn't in my life.

i think the 2nd biggest problem with music is that too many people see it as an alternative instead of a calling. recording software and the internet has made it incredibly easy for ANYONE to give it a shot, so now we have a legion of "musicians" who are doing it because they can, not because they should.

*2 cents deposited*
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 08:03 PM

Quote:

It won't be long before there is no new music and it will be the fault of those people that indulge in this behavior.

I think the opposite is true for bands who embrace new forms of content creation and distribution. Stand up comedy is having a boom because of podcasting, and virtually all of that is free content which drives sales for live events, merchandise and records. Wisdom In Chains podcast is a prime example, they get hardcore icons in for long form interviews, which aside from being entertaining as hell is great for preserving/growing the culture. Or there is the Louis CK route of putting up a new special direct sale for $5, dude made a million dollars in the first ten days. Enough people will always pay for quality product to justify the endeavor.

Personally I stopped file sharing a while ago, but I also stopped purchasing as many records because there is so much garbage made these days. Either way you ain't getting my money for putting out shit album after shit album because you made something good 20 years ago.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 08:25 AM

I hear ya on both sides of this argument, but all I have to say is nobody was bitching in 1986 when everyone had a double cassette deck with high speed dubbing and we were all dubbing all of our friends tapes, records and CDs. I know it was a much smaller scale but kind of the same, and I dubbed the hell out of that shit.

having said that, I still spend way too much on music for my current budget. I collect stuff here and there. (Damn you Sheer Terror and your multi color vinyl). I like having stuff. I like the artwork. I like to read the lyric sheets. I like amassing a collection of my favorite artists stuff.

But I download torrents of course. A lot of TV shows, comics, and such......and then a fuck load of music. I use dropbox like a madman swapping music with a friend out on the west coast. He's my main source of good stuff anymore.

However, I do go out of my way to support artists I like in a live setting by going to see them perform. I buy merch and stuff.

I miss the hunt.
the days of hopping the El to go downtown and browse certain cool record stores that carried the music that appealed to me. Hunting for oddities in used record shops, happening upon a random treasure. Did it every pay weekend for years.

I'm going back to bed.
mike_

[*] posted on 8-11-2014 at 05:09 AM

Speaking of Oi and downloading. Do yourself a favor and check (and legally download) songs by this band:

http://thelowerorders.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/thelowerordersoi

:love:

If it bleeds, we can kill it.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top