Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A question about nationality
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-2-2008 at 10:26 PM
A question about nationality

So I was having a conversation with my little brother today and he informed me that when he's old enough he wants to get a tattoo symbolizing Canada. He's only 15, and has lived in the U.S. since he was only a few months old. I don't really think of him as being Canadian because he's spent his whole life in America. He says it's because he loves Canada and was born here. He goes out of his way to tell people he was born here and now it seems he wants a tattoo to cement that idea. His love for Canada doesn't come from any political or social ideology, I think part of it is because he looks up to me a great deal and I'm a big patrot.

So here's my question; in your opinion, is he Canadian or American? I think of somebody who moved to Canada as an infant and grew up here as being Canadian, which is why I think of him as American.

On a side note, I don't know if he'll really do it or not. I hope not as he really doesn't strike me as a tattoo kind of a guy.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 4-2-2008 at 11:23 PM

He's an expatriate. They're generally ultra-patriotic, regardless of nationality.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 4-2-2008 at 11:24 PM

I think part of it is because he looks up to me a great deal and I'm a big patrot.

^^^^^^^^^^ YOu said it. He probably looks up to you. If you voice your opinion he may very well listen as well. O and yes he is Canadian. He was born their so that would make him a citizen. However he is American in culture.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 4-2-2008 at 11:26 PM

That being said in my opinion Canada and America really are not that drastically different. YES I KNOW they are, but really when you look at it. Compared to many other countries we share many of the same ideals and coexist pretty good compared to other neighboring countries.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 4-2-2008 at 11:35 PM

At some point you will attempt to invade us though. Don't worry I don't take it personally, we've just got all the shit. (and all my shit's buried.......)

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-2-2008 at 11:50 PM

I think of one's nationality as where they were born, so I'd consider your brother Canadian (and I'm sure he'll be excited to hear it!). What if we call him Canadian American?

My grandfather was born in Germany, and moved here when he was seven, but I always considered him German. Plus, he had the eccentricies, bowleggedness and faded recollection of the native language to prove it. In fact, my family still belongs to the local German club.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 12:35 AM

we will invade canada before iran

we get more oil and gas imports from canada then anywhere else...
you guys are a lot closer and it wouldn't be nearly as tough... not that you guys are wimps, but damn those iranians are crazy

and if not can someome let those fuckers who run your country know I want to move there and will bring my money and business with me...

they won't let you in unless you have a job...
but I do have a job
you bastards

he's a canadian and I wish I was too...
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
So I was having a conversation with my little brother today and he informed me that when he's old enough he wants to get a tattoo symbolizing Canada. He's only 15, and has lived in the U.S. since he was only a few months old. I don't really think of him as being Canadian because he's spent his whole life in America. He says it's because he loves Canada and was born here. He goes out of his way to tell people he was born here and now it seems he wants a tattoo to cement that idea. His love for Canada doesn't come from any political or social ideology, I think part of it is because he looks up to me a great deal and I'm a big patrot.

So here's my question; in your opinion, is he Canadian or American? I think of somebody who moved to Canada as an infant and grew up here as being Canadian, which is why I think of him as American.

On a side note, I don't know if he'll really do it or not. I hope not as he really doesn't strike me as a tattoo kind of a guy.

I look at it like this...if one of my childhood friends moved out of Philly to another city/suburb when they were in even lets say 4th grade...I would not consider them a Philadelphian. Yeah, you were born here but you didn't become who you are today because you lived in Philly.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 06:45 AM

I grew up and live in Upper DArby PA, yet people would say I am from Philadelphia.
I was born in America, and have Irish , German, English, Scotish, and PA Dutch blood. My last name is Quinn so people assume I am Irish. Me and my family really don't celebrate any of the cultures of our family's heritage. I dunno, I'm an ugly American with a bad attitude. I was in CAnada for a little while 10 years ago. It was clean and everyone I met was super nice and they all smoked weed. I liked it alot. Some of my friends wanted to stay, but like Defstar said, they are selective as to who they let in, and my friends had criminal records so it was no.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com
Quote:

I look at it like this...if one of my childhood friends moved out of Philly to another city/suburb when they were in even lets say 4th grade...I would not consider them a Philadelphian. Yeah, you were born here but you didn't become who you are today because you lived in Philly.

Yet I've heard my dad say numerous times of our family who were from South Philly "you can take them out of South Philly, nut you can't take the South Philly out of them".
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 08:12 AM

What about if a pregnent woman is on vacation in Italy and her baby is born. Is that baby Italian?

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
O and yes he is Canadian. He was born their so that would make him a citizen. However he is American in culture.

That's the way I see it. He constantly says he wants to live up here but can't right now because he's too young to move on his own. But he doesn't know what it's like here, as he's never been here for more than a week or two at a time. I think he believes it to be a whole different world or something. It's not that different from the U.S. Only real difference is that instead of seeing all the Mexicans he sees every day in Florida, he'll be seeing them replaced with Arabs up here. Plus he'd hate the cold winters.

As for you Yanks that want to invade, remember the war of 1812. We'll torch the White House again.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 10:15 AM

He's totally Canadian.

Answer to xHonusx is "Yes, that baby is Italian"
bombidol
Posting Freak

Mood: Wisdom In Chains

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 10:35 AM

That baby is set for fucking life. US and Italian passport. Which means they get to choose between being american or european. No hassle travelling anywhere in the european union and a sweet ass exchange rate from Euro to USD. I wish I was born in the states but still had my Irish parents. Set the fuck up.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
Quote:
Quote:

Yet I've heard my dad say numerous times of our family who were from South Philly "you can take them out of South Philly, nut you can't take the South Philly out of them".

That just isn't the case for the people I know. 95% of the kids that I knew that moved out have turned into some retarded ass suburbanites. The last time I hung out with this one kid I knew he almost got us killed when we were picking up weed down the way and a Puerto Rican kid was chasing another PR with a knife and the fucker yelled at the window "GET HIM!!!"...I wanted to fucking kill him and needless to say havent talked to him since. And other similar things have happened with others that I know. Not only do they loose their accent but they lose their street smarts.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 05:10 PM

Quote:

I agree 100%. It may be different for nationality but where I'm from if you moved away when you were a few months old then you were just born in my neighborhood/city/region...not from there.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JUICE MAYNE MSHC
Quote:

I agree 100%. It may be different for nationality but where I'm from if you moved away when you were a few months old then you were just born in my neighborhood/city/region...not from there.

That's the way I see it.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
As for you Yanks that want to invade, remember the war of 1812. We'll torch the White House again.
I'm perfectly ok with that minor consequence.

Veritas odium parit
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Quote:

i'll bring the matches
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 07:09 PM

Had a feeling that would be the response.:bigsmile:

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by defstarsteve
Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Quote:

i'll bring the matches

I'll bring potato salad
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 08:21 AM

^I'm with them.

Nationality isn't even something I think about. I just don't care.

That whole North American Union thing is going to go through in a few years and the US, Canada and Mexico will all be the same. BTW Discipline, I think your little brother has to see more Cubans than Mexicans in Florida.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 10:00 AM

I see plenty of mexicans in norristown......
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 07:25 PM

^But Florida man, that's where ALL the Cubans go.

bombidol
Posting Freak

Mood: Wisdom In Chains

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 07:29 PM

yeah man, just watch scarface.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top