Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: record collecting ?
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 03:21 PM
record collecting ?

I am in the process of collecting SOIA, MURPHY'S LAW, H2O, ROLLINS BAND, and a few others.

It has taken me over 4 years or so to build up the nerve to do it again since my old house and the dreaded basements floods ruined my collection. I have narrowed it down to more specific bands that have meant something to me and not just to have a collection. My idea is to frame the colored or limited vinyl and hang them on display in my "guy" room. Wether that is a finished basement(that doesn't flood) or some type of hangout room. Someday I will have the money to do this and right now is not the time. However I would like to be ahead of the game. Get the records over time and plan the making of these frames.

SO here is what I am getting at. DO any of you know where I can find them already made? Like when a band has a gold record they have it framed. I want somehting like that but of course not that elaborate. Something with a felt backing that will not ruin a record and displays it properly. THe cover on top and the record beneath it. Hanging on the wall.

If anyone knows of a store or anything that can help with this idea please let me know. I am considering making them myslef if I can't find them, but I would not know where to look to find a felt molded backing at

Also I want to add that I am not expecting the record to be in it. I only want the frame for it.

-clevo

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Spoiler
Posting Freak

Mood: All that scene philosophy never meant a goddamned thing to me

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 03:32 PM

check here http://hobbyframes.com/Records.htm?gclid=CMiVs_2J45MCFRdinAo...

FNSRecords

Mood: music.

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 05:14 PM

I;ve been wanting to do the same with some of my choice records and test presses, the problem is that $20 each is the cheapest I could find.

I've planned on buying my own shit and doing it myself.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FNSRecords
I;ve been wanting to do the same with some of my choice records and test presses, the problem is that $20 each is the cheapest I could find.

I've planned on buying my own shit and doing it myself.

^^^^^^^^ Ya me too. I breifly looked at some wood that was routed specifically to make frames and it wasn't too expensive. All I would need to do it cut them to size at a 45 degree angle. I may end up doing that if I can't find them pre-made.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoiler
check here http://hobbyframes.com/Records.htm?gclid=CMiVs_2J45MCFRdinAo...

^^^^^^^ That is axactly what I was looking for. I like the fact that the matt is already molded and all i need to do is buy them. $40 is alot for each so I may need to narrow my selections down more but I'm likin them. THANKS!

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 06:07 PM

you can definitely find pre-made frames specifically for 12"s and 7"s but they are definitely expensive.

one thing to keep in mind...
if what you're framing is valuable, you gotta treat it like you would proper art - quality UV or 'museum quality' glass or at the very least, make sure direct sun doesn't hit it. that shit will fade the print (cover), and would significant affect resale. (museum glass is THE SHIT, but it's wicked expensive.)

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 06:22 PM

Theres a store called MICHAELS CRAFTS that has 12x12 frames and they are $6 each. Unfortunantly thats not big enough for cover and vinyl.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 09:13 AM

One warning about those frames. The mats NEVER correctly fit the record and jacket. There is no pressure in the center of frame, only the edges, so theres nothing to press it to the glass and hold it in place in the mats. I did this with a record, took 30 minutes to assemble the loose shipped frame, get everything in it, close the corners only to flip it ove and have the record and jacket slip behind the mat. You'd have to glue the record to the backing to get it to properly stay in the die cut mat. Maybe your record will fit in perfectly and balance perfectly...maybe not. Just somthing to think about before you drop the money on it.
Furly
Posting Freak

Mood: Not your band.

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
One warning about those frames. The mats NEVER correctly fit the record and jacket. There is no pressure in the center of frame, only the edges, so theres nothing to press it to the glass and hold it in place in the mats. I did this with a record, took 30 minutes to assemble the loose shipped frame, get everything in it, close the corners only to flip it ove and have the record and jacket slip behind the mat. You'd have to glue the record to the backing to get it to properly stay in the die cut mat. Maybe your record will fit in perfectly and balance perfectly...maybe not. Just somthing to think about before you drop the money on it.

maybe a peice of construction paper or cardboard on the back side to keep it in place. That's what I do with pictures and such.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 09:48 AM

Well, theres already a board backing it, the problem is the frames width. A 12" sleeve and jacket weigh a bit more than a photo and the frame is quite larger to hold both side by side. You almost need a pice of macenite board or somthing, but then the frames weighing 40lbs
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 10:14 AM

any custom framing shops near ya clevo?
there's a couple here and there around here...
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
any custom framing shops near ya clevo?
there's a couple here and there around here...

Custom frame shops cost a fortune!!

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 10:39 AM

depending on what you're having framed, it's totally worth it. done right, the frame can enhance the item, be it a record or a print or a photo or whatever. that elvis painting i posted up a while back cost over $300 to frame (there's not even any glass!), but it looks so dope, it was totally worth it.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 10:39 AM

painting is 10" square, 17" with the frame.

Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 11:20 AM

that is purty
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
depending on what you're having framed, it's totally worth it. done right, the frame can enhance the item, be it a record or a print or a photo or whatever. that elvis painting i posted up a while back cost over $300 to frame (there's not even any glass!), but it looks so dope, it was totally worth it.

I definitly agree. I have an oil painting of the cover art for my bands 1st CD and its professionally framed and its awesome. I was just saying its really expensive becuase hes talking about framining A LOT of records. I like to take really simple stuff like prints or even just stuff I print out and just slap it in a cheap frame with a white back ground becuase it can make something look pretty impressive!

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 12:33 PM

yeah, that's true.

if you're interested in JUST the cover, you can probably find stock 12" frames online cheap.
urban outfitters used to sell some specifically for framing album covers.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 02:15 PM

that elvis jawn looks very nice
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
yeah, that's true.

if you're interested in JUST the cover, you can probably find stock 12" frames online cheap.
urban outfitters used to sell some specifically for framing album covers.

^^^^ Ya I can get those at my local record shop but I want to dispay the vinyl because of the color and label of the vinyl.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent

^^^^^^^ Thanks for the heads up. I was seriously considering ordering a couple, but now I'll wait and find somewhere that has the molded backing for HOLDING the record and cover in place. That really sucks about that. Well if ANYOEN runs accross something please post it.

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 09:32 PM

This doesnt help at all, but I have this hanging in my basement....

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 09:33 PM

Just realized that the picture is kinda dark. Its for Aerosmith 'Permanent Vacation' 5 Million copies sold

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-9-2008 at 07:31 AM

where did you get that? I bought that on tape when it came out. Used to skate and remember having thsoe songs in my head bcause of MTV.

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 6-9-2008 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
where did you get that?

When I worked at Newbury Comics one year as our Christmas present they made a deal with a few record lables to get RIAA Record Awards. I dont remember all the lables, but there was a list of bands/records that we could pick from.

I got Aerosmith because I thought that the novelty of having a record award would wear off eventually and I figured I would give it to my mom cause shes a huge Aerosmith fan. Guess that the novelty never wore off becuase its still hanging in my house.

One of them I could have gotten was 'Nirvana - Nevermind' and I probably could have resold that for quite a bit. I think 'Iron Maiden - Killers' was on there, but it wa a gold record, not platnum.

My friend got 'Megadeth - Peace Sells' and a couple of years after he quit Dave Mustain came to the warehouse for a visit so I brought it in and he signed it. He just kept saying "Whos Al Fontaine and how did he get this??" He was all freaked out because aparently the bands pay for those awards! Al joined the army a couple of years ago and now the Megadeth one is hanging at my house too. Only thing that sucks is that for some reason the Megadeth one is CD and Cassette only and doesnt have the vinyl in it so its a much smaller plaque.

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

Go To Top