Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The scene in your hometown
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-16-2004 at 11:46 PM
The scene in your hometown

aztec_blood's post about the scene is rural georgia town gave me an idea for a topic... how would you rate the quality of the scene in relation to the size of the town you live in?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-17-2004 at 12:33 AM

i'm going first, but i'm gonna talk about the town i grew up in, West Chester, PA.

without a doubt, the scene in West Chester was way bigger than it should have been for a town of it's size. yeah, it's a college town, but all those people ever did was play lacrosse. and yeah, it's only 45 minutes from philly, but people don't leave the city to hang out in some silly little town. still, there was a respectable amount of hardcore going down in rural Chester County.

i knew the guys in edgewise from skating. members of dare to defy (and later, bad luck 13) lived in west chester (and when Jerry A from Poison Idea was in town to record the tales from the drunkside 7", everyone knew it). arik victor (owner of creep records) and i were in the same high school class. members of sick of it all came to our school a few times to pick people up before they played nearby shows (we're all friends at the unisound club). i used to work with dennis from 2.5 children (ok, they're punk rockers, but still). and we also had BAM, which is probably who West Chester is best known for now (Ted Web, aka Rake Yohn, and I were in German class together).

of course, there was nothing cool about this at the time. still isn't really, but it does make for an interesting historical sidenote. i guess the point of this rambling post has become (attn aztec_blood, and all you other po-dunk-town-livin-in-mother-fuckers), make the best of what you got cause it's better than nothin. and when you're a fat old man (or woman), you can look back at the people you know from your youth and get a good laugh what has become of you all.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

Mood: Teenage Fanclub

[*] posted on 9-17-2004 at 02:42 AM

Laredo consistantly pulls great bands out of its ass, and have constantly been a "best stop of the tour" kinda town. The kids here arent great in number, we average about 30-60 kids a show, but holy shit, they have heart! Dancing from first to last band.
the difference between our scene and other small market scenes, is that we rock better than you!
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-17-2004 at 03:42 AM

current scene Austin....
sucks...no really suck live music capitol of my ass
spoiled ass rich kids with their arms folded, tight pants and shirts but trying not to cover their belt buckles....
too many shows, too few kids, so fuck em all...
good local bands go unnoticed.
good touring bands go unnoticed,
oh but what's that dillinger escape plan is playing again, rad it'll sell out in 10 minutes,
I saw them when they played inside at emos and no one cared...a year later, they were gods
fuck Austin...but Laredo rules and the best shows I've played in Texas have been there.

best scene was when I was living in a small ass town in Missouri called Joplin...
there were so many true kids who loved music and it was their only escape from redneck football jock mentality
we would rent out the park once every month or so, and get 15 or so bands to play for free....
so many kids would come out, from punk to hardcore to crust to death metal, to acoustic weird techno shit,
anyone who wanted to could play and everyone hung out and watched all the bands and supported
but it was the only thing these kids had...everyone knew everyone and either got along or fought and then got drunk and got along....no fashion bullshit, because everyone was a reject....
remember that punk ideal if you were weird you were welcome....
not if you shopped at a certain store...
anyhow,
The whole scene will mellow out again, and these kids will move on to the next big thing,
rave music, or n suck boy bands, all that shit needs to come around again
and collect these little ones that have strayed form their flock.
hardcore is from the heart not the pocketbook
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 9-17-2004 at 09:01 AM

ST CATHARINES:

Was big on the rap rock mid to late 90s with bands like Meat The Cleavers & Pimp. Cleavers were fucking great though and the best live show around, too bad they broke up way back then while Pimp lasted til 2004.

Jude The Obscure, Alexisonfire, The Legendary Klopeks etc etc this is what we have now. Shitty metal and a great punk band with a set that tries to mimic a Bad Luck 13 show but comes nowhere close.

We've got Bedlam Society and about 10 other promoters here who bring shows every weekend and during the week as well. Lots of bands play here including SNFU, Biohazard, Ramones, Darkest Hour and of course all the cheap emocore you can handle plus a lot of great small touring bands.

Shows can usually be well attended depending who you put on the gig and Red Square is an awesome little commie bar to do gigs at, pretty damn cheap too compared to doing a Toronto show which costs 10 times more and you get the same crowd either way.

WELLAND is just around the corner and everyone goes to those shows to support their local bands. With dudes like A DAY AND A DEATHWISH and IN THESE WALLS plus others like Murder Thy Maker, Ceremonial Snips & Dead Only Better...who wouldn't go to their shows. The only problem in Welland is the shows are usually at Lions Clubs or CAW Halls not bars which is good for all ages & any US bands who want to play, but the dudes who run the shows have no clue and get pissy when people mosh.

I'd choose doing shows in St Catharines & Welland though over Toronto any day.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
SAAAAARS
Posting Freak

Mood: madball

[*] posted on 9-17-2004 at 09:15 AM

my town is kind of lacking for a scene as of late. a couple kids have been working their asses off to try to help us out, but no where near as many people as their should be are appreciating it. last year this time, this place was thriving.

outbreak's ryan o. has been putting on shows in maine again and it's really helping out, but it's all in southern maine. about a two hour drive. not complaining, but it doesn't really count as my town. oh welllll.

newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 9-17-2004 at 01:26 PM

we played st catherines a couple times. once was at the mansion house. weird gig, we opened for chore (who were beyond fucking awful. kinda like a sleeping pill plugged into an amp) for like 12 people. some old guy at the bar was really into us and said he used to roadie for teenage head way back. that was pretty cool. next time was an all ages cant remember what the place was called. there were 4 bands i think. the only one comin to mind at the moment was dr. dirty sanchez who were really entertaining. the scene here is pretty fucking lame overall at the moment. theres the usual dozen punks who still think its 1985 and an ever changing group of 40 kids, most of which dont care about anything before 1995. theres probly about 4 or 5 decent punk/hc bands and a whole lot of shit
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-17-2004 at 01:44 PM

I live in Toronto Canada and there are 4 million people in this city and we have the most pathetic scene ever. Just a bunch of faggots who would not know what hardcore was if it walked up and punched them in the face. Fuck this city and its hardcore scene.

I go to Detroit and NYC for shows when the mood so strikes me.

Only band from here worth a mention is A Taste For Blood. They are fucking sick, but will never get the supprt they deserve because people are too busy ass fucking the faggots from No Warning.

Just so you know I am not talking shit over the internet those bitches know who I am and cower in fear when I am around.

MM.
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-17-2004 at 01:49 PM

I grew up in a town in Connecticut called Southington. Nothing ever happened in this town that was remotely cool. I cant say I was really part of a "scene" when I lived there anyway. I knew of one kid in my high school who listened to hardcore and was a little different from everyone else. I remember him trying to sell me a demo tape of his band. It sounded cool, but I wasnt really into that music yet. Now he plays in Bury Your Dead.

When I started going to shows there was a place in the town next to mine that was a little trashier so I guess the cops and the community didnt mind that there were shows there. The place was called the Hanover House and it was in a semi sketchy area. The place was small, dirty and the sound guy would wore Shai Hulud shirts with a leather vest over it and he'd drink himself to oblivion. The place was awesome. Of course... like most places, it didnt last. The family who owned the place sold the building to someone who wanted to build a family resturaunt.

Now I live in NYC and I cant really say that Im part of a "scene" either. I just sorta go to shows, stick with my small circle of friends and that's about it. Ian/NYHC25 getting pretty involved in hardcore around here, but it seems like NYC doesnt really have many bands or places to hold DIY or all ages shows. If there are those shows going on then I dont know about them. Ive been busy lately anyway so Im a little out of touch. It seems as though kids mostly come out for huge shows with Terror, Sick of it All, Madball, American Nightmare (when they were together) and the smaller shows have maybe 30 kids or less. Even then you get more Long Island or New Jersey kids than NYC kids.

The shows are alright though. Even though I hate New Jersey I think they get better shows and the kids in New Jersey are more enthusiastic.

blessedxcursed

Mood: Force of Change

[*] posted on 9-17-2004 at 02:12 PM

Albuquerque, NM.... we go up and down in terms of good shows and bad shows... there's some awesome kids here, and there's some that will be gone in a year... show turn out are usually 35-100 depending on the band...

this blessing, this curse recordings
www.thisblessingthiscurse.com

Out Soon: Ramallah \"Kill a Celebrity\" 12\", Steel Trap \"cold.broke.dead.\" 7\", R\'N\'R \"Playtime\'s Over\" CD
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 9-17-2004 at 07:52 PM

Mansion House is dead and Chore is officially the worst band ever from Canada hahaha I saw them in Toronto once and it was fucking horrible.

A TASTE FOR BLOOD is fucking awesome but you gotta check out URBAN BLIGHT, THE KILL DECIBEL & IN TIME for sure, HIT AND RUN & FULL RECOVERY are also fucking awesome bands. IN TIME has got to be my favourite TOHC band.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
mary

Mood: HARDCORE!!!

[*] posted on 9-19-2004 at 09:13 AM

there?s no scene in this german town....

only people talking about hardcore without knowing anything about it and pretending that there is a scene...

right now, only one good, and still existing, german hardcore band comes to my mind....

kind of sad...
RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

Mood: Fuck U All

[*] posted on 9-19-2004 at 09:29 AM

Not too many in lansdowne. Most of the shows in baltimore are downtown (10 minutes away)... and most of the time you see a crazy number of people at them shows... them mother fuckers come outta no where

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 9-19-2004 at 08:33 PM

CLEVELAND, OH

I grew up here. Seen my shows since 89 on. Skated and kicked it with many people around here. Great times. when I came around shows were dying out. Too many fights and shit. We had a big skinhead gang back then. Best shows then were DOA, Integrity, Murphys Law many times, Bosstones, Circlejerks 10year anniversary, A.F.-one vioce tour, SICK OF IT ALL many times, Biohazard, Warzone. Many times etc.
Then people move or get in trouble. Straightedge was the rebirth of hardcore in Cleveland. Man, so many fucking shows it was great. Unbroken, Undertow, Endpoint Integrity etc. Mid 90's shit was off the hook. earth crisis ONE LIFE CREW many times. 25 ta life MURPHYS LAW. Many many shows. this continued until about 2001 Now shows are not packed anymore. A.F. Murphys law and Ensign ON A FRIDAY NIGHT only drew about 85 people. A big band comes through like hatebreed will always draw the crowds, but other bands like E-town or subzero will draw alot less.
SAAAAARS
Posting Freak

Mood: madball

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
CLEVELAND, OH

I grew up here. Seen my shows since 89 on. Skated and kicked it with many people around here. Great times. when I came around shows were dying out. Too many fights and shit. We had a big skinhead gang back then. Best shows then were DOA, Integrity, Murphys Law many times, Bosstones, Circlejerks 10year anniversary, A.F.-one vioce tour, SICK OF IT ALL many times, Biohazard, Warzone. Many times etc.
Then people move or get in trouble. Straightedge was the rebirth of hardcore in Cleveland. Man, so many fucking shows it was great. Unbroken, Undertow, Endpoint Integrity etc. Mid 90's shit was off the hook. earth crisis ONE LIFE CREW many times. 25 ta life MURPHYS LAW. Many many shows. this continued until about 2001 Now shows are not packed anymore. A.F. Murphys law and Ensign ON A FRIDAY NIGHT only drew about 85 people. A big band comes through like hatebreed will always draw the crowds, but other bands like E-town or subzero will draw alot less.

only 85 people?
what the fuck is wrong with kids

cool as aids

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 02:41 PM

houston should have alot larger scene.....but there are no kids really coming out for the good shows...only the faggot metlacore shit...it sucks...cuase i wish there were bigger draws for some of the heavier bands, but the people that do come out are family

GAMC

STRAY DOG RECORDS MOTHERFUCKERS :www.myspace.com/straydogrecords

UNDER ONE FLAG 7\" OUT SOON!!
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 01:20 AM

I have no idea. Went to see this crazy metal core whatever you call it show just to go see candiria and the place was fucking packed to see bands I never heard of.
Death is out to get you, poop decapitation, 18 bleeding converging sevenfold, slit wrist.
those bands have the shittiest names ever. that was like 2 months after the Murphys law AF ensign show. I could not fucking believe it. Not dropppin names but before AF played I bought a AF shirt off Roger and I asked how he is? He said He'd be alot better at home with his family instead of here. He ment the turnout was fucking lousy. Always a nice guy to talk to if you get the chance.
xDTYMx

Mood: skarhead

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 01:16 AM

LONG BEACH NY - not quite queens not quite long island. its an island with bridges going to both and i live on the queens side of the island. only band to really make it out of here is cipher and there phenominal if you havent heard them definitely check them out and no im not hyping a shitty band. But even tho besides me and a handful of friends are the only people around my neighborhood that are really into hardcore the local scene is nonexistant. but living a half hour from any decent venue is fucking great. long island has a huge diy all ages scene thats constantly bringing in posi bands and a really fun crowd and "the downtown" which is a pretty good venue that other then the metalcore faggot shit usually brings in some great up and coming as well as staples in hardcore on a regular basis.. and what can i say for nyc besides the fact that its been awhile since a period of anything more then 2 weeks has gone by where i havent been able to goto a decent show.

.. i put the bottle to my head and pulled the trigger for the last time...

DEATH TO YO MOMS SQUAD!!!!!!!
Mikey216

Mood: Human Demise

[*] posted on 10-2-2004 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
CLEVELAND, OH

Yah our city pretty much sucks for shows now. Only huge bands draw more than 100 kids. The most recent shows that I booked brought in between 25-75 kids. As far as local bands, if it isn't a Ringworm show, nobody shows up.

Cross me again and we\'ll see... you\'ll be the one to fucking pay!

Go To Top