Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boston Phoenix review of "The Truth Can Be Brutal"
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-2-2008 at 04:31 PM
Boston Phoenix review of "The Truth Can Be Brutal"

On The Truth Can Be Brutal, Mark Lind and the Unloved blend three-chord punk with pop-rock sensibilities and spit lyrics that fall anywhere from making political and class statements to overcoming personal hardships. In other words: they’re the Ducky Boys with some new faces and familiar names — Lind on vocals (Ducky Boys), Jeff Morris on guitar (Bruisers and Death & Taxes), Mike Savitkas on bass (Death & Taxes), and Jay Messina on drums (Ducky Boys). And I mean that as a compliment. Lind’s social commentary is reliably, meticulously strewn about The Truth. On “Dagger,” he wonders how dropping bombs on the Middle East would jibe with Jesus, positing the Messiah’s response: “Won’t you take this dagger from my heart?” In “An Open Letter to Boston,” a nostalgic Lind admits that he’s “just a rat on your city streets” over a beer-soaked 12-bar blues-rock crunch. It may all be very familiar, but it’s reassuring and refreshing to know that some people never change.

http://thephoenix.com/Boston/Music/64098-MARK-LIND-AND-THE-U...

DeathByForce

Mood: H2O

[*] posted on 7-2-2008 at 05:10 PM

That was a very neutral review. Jesus. That offered almost NO insight.

\"rap isn\'t music\" - mozart
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-2-2008 at 06:17 PM

It's funny how some people see reviews. One board I posted this on has people interested. Others are indifferent. I personally don't put much stock in reviews to begin with.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 7-2-2008 at 06:36 PM

Well, it gives a kind of non-commital overview of the album and band. It's what I would call a reservedly positive review, but doesn't really give any kind of overall idea of how good an album it is. While I'm already a fan of yours, Mark, in whatever avenue you pursue with your songwriting, I'll still have to wait to see where this one stacks up compared to the rest of your output. I ordered mine at the end of last week and expect to see it here any day now, which was kind of why I was interested in reading this review, hoping to get another insight into the album while waiting, but this just kind of tells me what I was already expecting. I suppose it's good to know that you haven't taken this record in some uncharted direction that would sound completely different from what I can count on from a Mark Lind related recording, but this review seemed to be more of a space filler than a worthwhile read.

Veritas odium parit
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 01:33 PM

It was an odd review. I got my copy in the mail this morning and I love it. Once again you also included liner notes about each song which is something I've really enjoyed on the last two solo albums.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
It's funny how some people see reviews. One board I posted this on has people interested. Others are indifferent. I personally don't put much stock in reviews to begin with.

And you really shouldn't. I think we can all agree you have been at this long enough that you needn't worry.

As always, great job on the album.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 02:14 PM

Thanks, guys. I am looking for some quotes to post online from people that bought the CD. If you got one then let me know. I'll just need your first name and your hometown to credit you.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 04:56 PM

"No "scene" bullshit, no whiney emo crap, just good straight-up punk rock and roll."

-Mike
Toronto, Canada

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’

Go To Top