Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pro Pain
Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 05:58 AM
Pro Pain

Anyone here into these guys? I was always a big Crumbsuckers fan and when Gary started Pro Pain, I actually liked 'em better than the Csuckers.

Anyways, they are kinda like the Motorhead of the hardcore-meets-metal scene, they just keep on plugging away and putting out albums year after year.

I got a promo of their forthcoming album "No End In Sight" and HOLY SHIT is this album fucking GREAT. I get so many promo's from various people whom I know, anymore it's almost impossible to give each and every one of them an actual honest chance. And I'm sure there has been more than a few albums I have unjustly not gotten into just due to not having the time to give 'em a "proper" listen.

Pro Pain are one of those bands that I always thought were worthy, but around the "Round Six" release, for some reason, I lost touch with what they were putting out.

Anyways, I honestly don't know the release date for this album, but I can not recommend it enough. Gary Meskill is sorta starting to remind me of Rob Lind in that he is mixing up the super catchy clean vocals with the gruff vocals.

I think if you liked Ramallah's "Kill a Celebrity", this new Pro-Pain is a definite must have..........I was singing along to at least half the songs on the album right after the first listen. And they seem to just keep getting better...........

Anyways, just a personal recommend for the fellow-Thorpsters........
bombidol
Posting Freak

Mood: Wisdom In Chains

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 06:01 AM

Fucking love Pro Pain. CAN YOU FEEL IT.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
SS76
Posting Freak

Mood: RAMALLAH

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bombidol
Fucking love Pro Pain.

Silence is golden but violence is platinum.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 08:25 AM

THE STENCH OF PISS!!!

I saw them at Club Baby Head in Providence opening for Testament when the first record came out.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
SS76
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 08:43 AM

I saw them with M.O.D. at the EL N GEE the following year. There was death on the dancefloor!

Furly
Posting Freak

Mood: Not your band.

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 10:19 AM

My first real show was Pro-pain in 93 at Salibury beach.

BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 11:04 AM

Don't love them and I don't hate them. I am however glad they exist.

MM.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 12:59 PM

I saw them with DRI back in like 93 or something.
It was good.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 01:03 PM

I saw them back in 91 or 92 or so. I don't remeber too much about the show I know it was at FLASH'S in Lakewood Ohio. HTey were not the headliner but and I don't think I even stayed to see the headliner anyway. I was drinking Robotussin back then so I don't remember too much.

O it was PRONG that headlined

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 06:57 PM

They aren't bad, but nothing special in my eyes. I'll take the Crumbsuckers any day of the week.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 8-2-2008 at 05:07 AM

Glad to see some Pro Pain love around here! For me, it kinda goes like this:

Got into the Crumbsuckers (though I was a late-comer, I actually had "Beast On My Back" before I had "Life of Dreams" - back in those days, I bought albums blindly. I sorta went by the label they were on, by the cover art and by shit I would read in the underground rags. I can't tell you how many times I had "Life of Dreams" in my grips, ready to buy, but put it back down in favor of Voivod or Holy Terror or Carnivore :tumble:)

Anyways, around 87/88 the B.O.M.B. ads were everywhere in rags like Power Metal and Thrash Metal, they all showed that funny little snorkel-guy-anteater sucking up crumbs and the guys in the band had these goofy-assed contraptions on in their pics. To make a long story short, I got BOMB, actually really liked it and went back and got LoD's and loved it. Not too long after, Crumbsuckers split and I remember reading about a band they were starting post-Crumbsuckers called Heavy Rain. As far as I know, Heavy Rain never did shit and next thing I know, I'm watching Headbangers Ball and "Pound For Pound" comes on. So I immediately run out and buy "Foul Taste of Freedom". LOVED IT. Holy shit, what a great album. "Truth Hurts" came next and I liked it, but it was not quite as good as FToF. I bought "Contents Under Pressure" when it came out, and honestly, I didn't really like it.

Next up was their s/t album and I thought it was GREAT. "Don't Kill Yourself To Live" and "Love/H8" are still 2 of the greatest songs in this style ever recorded. I think I got "Act of God" next, and many think this is thier peak, but I didn't like it as much as the s/t. After AoG, I sorta lost touch.

Anyways, I got the promo for this newest one maybe 2 weeks ago and I sorta filed it away in the "I'll make time for this one later" category. I got the promo for the last Pro Pain "Age of Tyranny - 10th Crusade" and never did get around to spinning it (until recently), but for some reason, I ripped this new album and put it on my Ipod to listen to on an out of town trip I had to make last week.

After my first listen, I was already singing along to several of the songs. I was sorta scratching my head, as about 3rd track in, there are all these "clean" vox. I was thinking "damn, is that GARY?" And then I remembered back to songs like "Johnny Black" from the first record and it was the same voice, only better. And there are all these little guitar-fills that are catchy-as-genital-warts all over these songs. Last Pro-Pain I was really into was pretty much chug-chug-chug. So this was definitely an unexpected sound for me. But it's definitely still Pro-Pain, only better in all ways.

I guess the comparison that immediately came to mind was how Ramallah's "But A Whimper" is, for the most part so in your damn face and how "Kill A Celebrity" is partially in your face and partially very melodic and introspective. You have your balls-out stuff like "Let The Blood Run Through the Streets" and then some melodic stuff like "Where We Stand". And then some upbeat, almost Blood-For-Blood-ish punky stuff like "Go It Alone" (which actually reminds me over "Goin' Down the Bar").

If you can't already tell, I'm a fucking HUGE Blood For Blood/Ramallah/Sinners & Saints/White Trash Rob fan, and this Pro-Pain album was like the breath of air I have been waiting for when it comes to this style of music.

I did some "googling" for reviews of it last night and didn't really find anything except for something where it said someone from some band (can't remember who) described this new album as Pro-Pain's "Master of Puppets" and Gary said he thought it was their greatest yet. 9.9 out of 10 times I don't agree when bands say this kind of shit, but in this case, I think I might have to agree.

I guess I have just become so disillusioned with "hardcore" and "metal" (and especially the mixture of the 2) that, out of nowhere, hearing an album I think is this damn good is a breath of fresh air.

Way too early to tell if this album, over time will compare to albums like "Urban Discipline" and "Kill A Celebrity" but so far, this one is a definite must have.

If any of you Thorp-sters wanna check it out, drop me a U2U and I'll hook you up :thumbup:
SS76
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-2-2008 at 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle
I'm a fucking HUGE Blood For Blood/Ramallah/Sinners & Saints/White Trash Rob fan, :thumbup:

Don't kill yourself to live is probably my favorite song too. Even my wife loves that song.

SS76
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-2-2008 at 08:15 AM

http://www.myspace.com/forbiddenbrothers4life

Rob sings on a couple of these songs....worth checking out. I like em. This is the bitter end my friend!

Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 8-3-2008 at 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shootingscars
Quote:
Originally posted by Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle
I'm a fucking HUGE Blood For Blood/Ramallah/Sinners & Saints/White Trash Rob fan, :thumbup:

Don't kill yourself to live is probably my favorite song too. Even my wife loves that song.
Awesome! That song is fucking great. "Out of my way, I'm comin' Like a Freight Train right on through ya, and if you thumb a ride, I'll take you home"!

Go To Top