Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: do any of youzz read?????
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 02:32 PM
do any of youzz read?????

i know this may be asking alot of some of youzz but if you can indeed read and choose to do so, what are you reading?
i am hurting for some new books to read.
i like non-fiction only
youzz know what that means right?
help a brotha out literate peeps
LilOz
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 02:49 PM

I haven't read anything in a few years, but Angela's Ashes is a really good read.

here

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 06:08 PM

I read constantly, usually crime fiction (especially anything by James Ellroy, that motherfucker writes some crazy, fucked up shit. I highly recommend him, try American Tabloid, The Cold Six Thousand, or his non-fiction book about his mother's murder and how his life was one fucked up experience after another called My Dark Places), but I also dig a lot of History books and non-fiction about fucked up shit. If you haven't already, check out Stiff by Mary Roach, it's all about the different things done with cadavers and pieces of them. I also recommend the books by James Loewen, Lies My Teacher Told Me and Lies Across America. Both books are about the bullshit we're given as American History, very good reads, especially the first one. I'll list more stuff when I think of some.

Veritas odium parit
TTF
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 06:34 PM

I second Ellroy, 'My Dark Places'. Good fucking call tireiron. You caught my attention with 'Stiff' also.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 06:43 PM

Hell yeah. Stiff is fucking great, I got a bonus kick out of reading it in public, the cover has the feet of a cadaver with a toe tag hanging off with the title on the tag and the byline is The Curious Lives Of Human Cadavers, so people get freaked. On top of that, it's actually really fuckin' funny, so people get really creeped out when they see what you're reading while you sit there laughing.

Veritas odium parit
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 06:45 PM

I read 2-3 books a week but I read a lot of fiction. Non-fiction I read a lot of true crime. The Encyclopedia Of Serial Killers is an interesting read.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 07:02 PM

Non fiction? Sonny Barger's Hells Angel book was really good. So is Chuck Zito's book. Both of Howard Stern's books are good. My girlfriend just finished a book called "Death's Acre" written by one of the pioneers of forensic science. She said it was really good. The Biggie & Tupac book is long as shit but interesting (even if you're not a fan...I'm definitely not)

SAAAAARS
Posting Freak

Mood: madball

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 11:06 PM

i'm reading insomnia. well, i started it tonight. i'm taking a break and then i'm going to go finish it off. i want to read some good mystery/thriller/crime type of deals. those are the kind of books that i can't put down. if something doesn't keep me hooked, i won't read it all.

suggestions would rule!

newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 01:33 AM

- angelas ashes is incredible, as is the follow up ('Tis).
- "shake hands with the devil" by romeo dallaire was really good. it's an inside account of the genocide of rwanda.
- "american psycho" by bret easton ellis. they made a good movie out of it, but the book is definately way more involved.
- "river thieves" by michael crummey. a really good story based on actual events and people from 19th century newfoundland about the relationship of european settlers with the red indians.
- "grapes of wrath" by steinbeck. one of my favorites for sure. about the forced migration of farmers westward in the early 20th century
- "borstal boy" by brendan behan. another favorite, about his involvement with the ira and his time in borstal
- "a sense of freedom" by jimmy boyle. the autobiography of a man who forced much needed change in the scottish prison system.
- "get in the van" by rollins. amazing day by day account of his time in black flag. even if you don't like their music, this is incredible

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 02:05 AM

I have a hard time getting through books - too long, too easily distracted, not enought time. Over the past five years, I've read maybe a dozen...
- the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings (reread before the movies came out)
- Motherless Brooklyn (set in my neighborhood)
- The Bonesetter's Daughter
- Wind-Up Bird Chronicles (weird shit, but really good)
- Comprehensive Neonatal Nursing: A Physiologic Perspective.

I prefer reading magazines, but I'm a good six months behind on the ones I subscribe to - MacWorld, Sound & Vision, and Money.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 09:53 AM

Motherless Brooklyn was a fun book. Im reading The Bourne Ultimatum right now. Im about 3/4 of the way finished. The whole trilogy is great. Like Duane though, I can't say that Im an avid reader. As it is right now, I just read while Im on the train going to and from work. That's a total of maybe 45 minutes or less of reading.

Jeff trhe Greek

Mood: The Tossers

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 11:54 AM

The Perfect Heresy - (unsure)
Bloodline of the Holy Grail - Laurence Gardner
Genesis of the Grail Kings - Laurence Gardner
The Marian Conspiracy - (unsure)
Gods of Eden - (unsure)
Holy Grail Across the Atlantic - Michael Bradley
Grail Knights of North America - Michael Bradley
Fingerprints of the Gods - Graham Hancock
Mars Mystery - Graham Hancock
The Earth Chronicles (8-10 books) - Zecharia Sitchin
The Hiram Key - Christopher Knight, Robert Lomas
Uriels Machine - Christopher Knight, Robert Lomas
The Second Messiah - Christopher Knight, Robert Lomas
The Book of Hiram - Christopher Knight, Robert Lomas
Jesus the Man - Barbara Thiering
Jesus of the Apocalypse - Barbara Thiering

Don\'t blame me, I voted for Kodos.
SAAAAARS
Posting Freak

Mood: madball

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Duane
I have a hard time getting through books - too long, too easily distracted, not enought time. Over the past five years, I've read maybe a dozen...
- the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings (reread before the movies came out)
- Motherless Brooklyn (set in my neighborhood)
- The Bonesetter's Daughter
- Wind-Up Bird Chronicles (weird shit, but really good)
- Comprehensive Neonatal Nursing: A Physiologic Perspective.

I prefer reading magazines, but I'm a good six months behind on the ones I subscribe to - MacWorld, Sound & Vision, and Money.

the hobbit is my favorite book. that book seriously made my imagination go wild. i loved it. i've read it so many times haha.

Go To Top