Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thinking about writing a graphic novel/comic
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-10-2008 at 04:41 AM
Thinking about writing a graphic novel/comic

Anyone got any tips on the writing process or resources about it?

I'm not much of an artist... but this thing is going to be like post-apocalyptic with kung fu and spiritual/messianic stuff mixed in.

xChino_Martinezx

Mood: not waving, drowning

[*] posted on 8-10-2008 at 01:13 PM

kun fu panda vs terminator vs buddha? :frog:

just kidding, man, your idea sounds really cool actually, I love post-apocalyptic stories... my advices would be:

brainstorm: sit down and write everything that comes to your mind when you think of your story, don't mind if you end up with a hundred pages full of loose ideas, then you can read them all over again one by one and start joining them into the plot, don't reject anything, all ideas are good, some will be better and more atractive, but all your ideas are good and you must take them into consideration...

always carry something to take notes with you to every place you go, bro, 'cause some of the greatest ideas come all of a sudden, you could be in the supermarket and bang! a brilliant part of the plot or a character idea comes to your mind and you need to write it down right away, don't wait until you get home 'cause you'll remember it, but partially and you could lose some important details and in a good novel, every small detail is important... so ALWAYS write down EVERYTHING you think of as soon as you think about it... if you're in a restaurant and think of something, you ran out of paper on your notebook, grab a napkin and write on it, don't let any idea escape...

get an english dictionary and a synonymous/antonyms dictionary when, this is important because sometimes we have the perfect word, but we are uncertain of it's actual meaning or spelling and it's also really good to use synonymous words to avoid repeating words too much, the key to a novel is an extense vocabulary and some fancy words all always impresive when rightfully used...

don't get frustrated if one day you sit down to write and your mind is totally blank! it will happen sooner or later, that means you need a break, get up, go grab a snack, go outside, take a walk, breath some fresh air and relax a little bit until the inspiration comes again, then you can continue with your writing... also choose a good place to write, a place where you feel confortable and calmed, look for your personal peaceful spot... don't sit in a loud place or a place where others can distract you...

I think that's it, at least, that's what I used to do, except all my dictionaries were in spanish 'cause that's my native language, haha...

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 8-10-2008 at 03:48 PM

i had some stuff on this somewhere directly related to comics/garphic novels..........i see if i can find it this week.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-10-2008 at 11:23 PM

I think DC has put out a book about how to write comics. I may have to pick that one up.

I'm essentially going for a mix of like... the old TV show Kung Fu with Mad Max plus Islamic messianic end of the world type stuff. Nothing so overt that I'm shoving my religion down anyone's throats... but you know, it might give it a different sorta take.

Part of the apocalypse thing will involve like ecological disaster plus maybe a WWIII and nukes sparked off by the war hungry leaders of the world. Be they Western powers or Eastern powers. That sorta thing. Maybe our current affairs have set the stage for it all, you know?

godabandonedme

Mood: Darkbuster

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 03:21 AM

I just finished the series "Y". Fuck that ending sucked. My girl is into that shit an I'm gona start reading the "Preacher" next. Read the first one an it's ok. But damn I'm pissed at the ending of "Y". Fuck

\"Leave the gun....take the canolis.\"
bombidol
Posting Freak

Mood: Wisdom In Chains

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 04:17 AM

Dave, email me at mahbrain at gmail dot com and I'll give you a hand. Writing comics is what I do on the side.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 07:19 AM

yeah when is your comics coming out bombidol?

bombidol
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 09:13 AM

Launching November 22nd here and England but who fucking knows when with Diamond Distribution (World comic distro)
We will be doing mail order to certain stores before its out all over the world though so if you are tight with your local comic store tell them to mail me in early november and I can mail a box to them.

Diamond take like 5 months to get a comic out and they dont even have ours yet as its going to print in a week or two. I'm waiting on Mark Millar (Wanted, Civil War, Chosen, Wolverine, Spiderman etc etc) to deliver the introduction he is writing for us then its off to the print shop.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 03:14 PM

I'm liking Millar's Old Man Logan. Cool stuff.

bombidol
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 03:54 PM

yeah its decent, nothings really happened though to be fair. its essentially going to be 6 issues of nothing until wolverine gets in a fight. the selling point is McNivens art though, its crazy good.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 04:44 PM

Well, I think the selling point is more the "What If" the villians killed all the heroes thing really. I'm eager to see where it goes.

joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

Mood: pissed off

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 09:55 PM

i'm trying to create my own superhero character or group or graphic novel type deal to make a movie out of.

Go To Top