Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Should teachers be allowed to carry guns?
May as well, all the kids are doing it.
--- 6 (40%)
Absolutely not. --- 9 (60%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Should teachers be allowed to carry guns?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-15-2008 at 06:26 PM
Should teachers be allowed to carry guns?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080815/ts_nm/texas_guns_dc

HOUSTON (Reuters) - A Texas school district will let teachers bring guns to class this fall, the district's superintendent said on Friday, in what experts said appeared to be a first in the United States.

ADVERTISEMENT

The board of the small rural Harrold Independent School District unanimously approved the plan and parents have not objected, said the district's superintendent, David Thweatt.

School experts backed Thweatt's claim that Harrold, a system of about 110 students 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth, may be the first to let teachers bring guns to the classroom.

Thweatt said it is a matter of safety.

"We have a lock-down situation, we have cameras, but the question we had to answer is, 'What if somebody gets in? What are we going to do?" he said. "It's just common sense."

Teachers who wish to bring guns will have to be certified to carry a concealed handgun in Texas and get crisis training and permission from school officials, he said.

Recent school shootings in the United States have prompted some calls for school officials to allow students and teachers to carry legally concealed weapons into classrooms.

The U.S. Congress once barred guns at schools nationwide, but the U.S. Supreme Court struck the law down, although state and local communities could adopt their own laws. Texas bars guns at schools without the school's permission.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-15-2008 at 06:27 PM

Fuck ya, only in Texas.:thumbup:
Fuck the little gangstas
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-15-2008 at 08:06 PM

at first I was like hmmmm then I realised it wasnt anything like Philly schools.
A Philly freshman wuld be able to take that gat off the teacher in a hot minute.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 8-15-2008 at 09:11 PM

ya.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 8-16-2008 at 02:10 PM

Yes.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
bombidol
Posting Freak

Mood: Wisdom In Chains

[*] posted on 8-16-2008 at 02:47 PM

fuck no. Teachers are supposed to be setting an example.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 8-16-2008 at 04:33 PM

no

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-16-2008 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bombidol
fuck no. Teachers are supposed to be setting an example.

so we should as a society just accept that kids are going to have guns, and we should be prepared to shoot them...

this does not lead to a healthy society
this just encourages the wild west mentality...
bombidol
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-16-2008 at 05:50 PM

I just think someone needs to start drawning the line somewhere. Kids shouldnt have guns in the fucking first place, more work needs to be put in in that regard. I mean if teachers start getting guns, the the janitors will want em next, soon every member of staff in the school will be packing. Soon after anyone living in the neighborhood of this school is going to get a gun because theres a potential hotbed of violence just waiting to kick off around the corner.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 03:35 PM

the whole time i was in school i never seen a gun at school.

bombidol
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 04:10 PM

No guns in my school either but I did get a hit off a taser.

defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 04:49 PM

I went to high school in the eastern most par of east LA
we had approx 6000 kids on my campus...
gangs yes
guns nope

you would be chillin at lunch and see 1 dude just running as fast as he could and then 15 cholos come out of now where chasing him...
but no one ever died...

shit I can't remember the last shooting at a school in LA, DC, NYC, Chicago, or Baltimore...

it's always the little backwater suburban ICP listening fags that do dumb shit
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by defstarsteve

it's always the little backwater suburban ICP listening fags that do dumb shit

yes sir.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 10:12 PM

Why does a scool of 110 have cameras and need guns itn the middle of nowhere?

"We have a lock-down situation, we have cameras, but the question we had to answer is, 'What if somebody gets in? What are we going to do?" he said. "It's just common sense."

Who? Who the fuck is going to go attack a tiny school 150 miles away from anything? Get a fucking grip.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
xoversux

Mood: DYS SSD

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bombidol
I just think someone needs to start drawning the line somewhere. Kids shouldnt have guns in the fucking first place, more work needs to be put in in that regard. I mean if teachers start getting guns, the the janitors will want em next, soon every member of staff in the school will be packing. Soon after anyone living in the neighborhood of this school is going to get a gun because theres a potential hotbed of violence just waiting to kick off around the corner.

exactly, fix the problem at the source not triage.

XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 09:26 AM

If teachers feel that there should be a form of defense in the school then they should hire some cops or armed security guards to patrol the school.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
bombidol
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 10:38 AM

Fuck that. All the teachers should be trained in ninjitsu. And pro wrestling.

CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 12:49 PM

I say no. We had two shootings, well one shooting out in front of my highschool in 93 and then at a football game.

It was pretty crazy but I never felt in danger. Just dickheads trying to be 'hard'.
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
If teachers feel that there should be a form of defense in the school then they should hire some cops or armed security guards to patrol the school.

even my daughters middle school has security gurads...
are they packing?
I don't think so, but they have pepper spray and shit...

teachers need to teach, kids need to learn
anything else is bullshit
ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 02:11 PM

Steve put it perfectly.

If a teacher carries, it is a gun in the school and that could be taken by someone who wants to kill people and used against them. I don't remember any teacher I had that was physically threatening. That would open the door for more shootings.

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
mikeoffbase

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 06:12 PM

Anyone who has passed the back ground checks, taken training courses, and has taken the time to leagaly obtain a concealed carry permit should be allowed in my opinon, at the schools discression.

There are people around you all the time with concealed carry permits, and you have no idea who they are.

The same would be true inside the school. How would you even know who's carrying? You don't. It's that simple, and you never will , untill nut case busts in and starts playing shooting gallery.

This would certainly be a deterrent for someone considering going on a spree. Schools are the perfect place for these nutcases to go now , because they know they will encounter no resistance. How many shootings do you hear in Police Stations? How about Military bases? Now how about schools and post offices that are "gun free zones"?

The only sane alternative in my opinion would be to hire police to be on duty, at great expense to the school district.

The other alternative, is the "please don't hurt me" approach.

I don't know about you, but asking a nut on a shooting spree to "please don't hurt me" isn't a great plan.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 07:04 PM

More police the better and not some rentacop bullshit. Real fucking police to protect the children and teachers.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeoffbase
Anyone who has passed the back ground checks, taken training courses, and has taken the time to leagaly obtain a concealed carry permit should be allowed in my opinon, at the schools discression.

There are people around you all the time with concealed carry permits, and you have no idea who they are.

The same would be true inside the school. How would you even know who's carrying? You don't. It's that simple, and you never will , untill nut case busts in and starts playing shooting gallery.

This would certainly be a deterrent for someone considering going on a spree. Schools are the perfect place for these nutcases to go now , because they know they will encounter no resistance. How many shootings do you hear in Police Stations? How about Military bases? Now how about schools and post offices that are "gun free zones"?

The only sane alternative in my opinion would be to hire police to be on duty, at great expense to the school district.

I don't know about you, but asking a nut on a shooting spree to "please don't hurt me" isn't a great plan.

Your argument of people not knowing you're carrying is null and void. If the school allows teachers to carry guns the student body is just going to assume that every teacher is packing.

And the last big school shooting was at Virginia Tech U. So, what do you want to do open a can of worms? First let the teachers carry, then the college students are allowed to carry. So now everyone has guns. What does that solve?

I understand the logic that if everyone has a gun the odds are more people will be less willing to rob a stranger, go on a shooting spree etc., but the only thing you're doing in my opinion is giving more nuts guns, and more guns for people to steal, etc,. I could only imagine how many incidents there would be in school type areas where someone tries to snatch a gun from a teacher.

mikeoffbase

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeoffbase

Your argument of people not knowing you're carrying is null and void. If the school allows teachers to carry guns the student body is just going to assume that every teacher is packing.

And the last big school shooting was at Virginia Tech U. So, what do you want to do open a can of worms? First let the teachers carry, then the college students are allowed to carry. So now everyone has guns. What does that solve?

I understand the logic that if everyone has a gun the odds are more people will be less willing to rob a stranger, go on a shooting spree etc., but the only thing you're doing in my opinion is giving more nuts guns, and more guns for people to steal, etc,. I could only imagine how many incidents there would be in school type areas where someone tries to snatch a gun from a teacher.

See, that's where your logic is flawed. You don't go giving every "nut" a gun. There's an FBI background check, State Police back ground checks, saftey courses etc. etc. that you have to go through, (at least in my state) before you'll be issued a permit, at the local police chiefs discression. I'm sure you've never bought a gun, but you have to go through an FBI background check before you walk away with one from a dealer, and even a private sale has to be transfered thtrough a dealer. Felony record, restraining order, history of mental illness, etc. etc. will disqualify you.

No, not every teacher is going to carry, nor should they. There are plenty of people around you out in the general public carrying right now. How many get guns snatched away from them? Do you even know who around you is carrying and who isn't?

No, you don't. Neither would anyone else. I'm not saying every teacher should carry. God knows, many probalby couldn't meet the qualifications for a concealed carry permit anyway.

...and yes, legaly qualified , trained , and permited college students should be allowed to carry on school grounds in my opinion. If you are willing to jump through the hoops and pass the background checks. I"m all for it. Your second amendment rights don't end at the schools property line IMO.

The problem with most of the anti-gun crowd, is that they have little to no expeirince with firearms, or the people that carry them legaly on a daily basis. Somehow you guys seem to put the gangbanger with a gun he bought on the street, in the same lot with people who've followed the laws, jumped through the hoops, paid through the nose, qualified, passed background checks, and obtained a licence to carry. Big big differnce between the two.

Again, there are people around you with lawfully concealed weapons. They don't flash them, they don't flaunt them, but BELIVE ME, they are there. Again, do those weapons get snatched away from them? The answer is no, they don't.
mikeoffbase

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 10:51 PM

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/free-concealed-carry-gun-clas...

Apparently, this is already going on in Utah.

How many gun snatchings have been reported there?

The article is almost 2 years old.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top