Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: H.R. on a boat
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 08:13 AM
H.R. on a boat

Take a second and think about the legacy he's left on the world of punk rock, and beyond. People (including us, on occasion) toss around words like "legend" pretty casually these days, but the man born Paul Hudson and known to the world as H.R. is the genuine article. As the voice of Bad Brains he helped create hardcore punk, and wrote some songs that will genuinely live forever.

And hey, guess what - HE'S PLAYING ON OUR BOAT.

That's right - on Monday, September 8th , H.R. will play a rare solo gig. Anyone who's ever seen the man live knows that you can never predict what will happen when he's given a stage & a microphone, but you know it will be an experience you won't soon forget. This is certain to be a special night, and is not to be missed without a notorized doctor's note, or due to reasons of incarceration.

GET YOUR TICKETS HERE!

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
xoversux

Mood: DYS SSD

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Take a second and think about the legacy he's left on the world of punk rock, and beyond. People (including us, on occasion) toss around words like "legend" pretty casually these days, but the man born Paul Hudson and known to the world as H.R. is the genuine article. As the voice of Bad Brains he helped create hardcore punk, and wrote some songs that will genuinely live forever.

And hey, guess what - HE'S PLAYING ON OUR BOAT.

That's right - on Monday, September 8th , H.R. will play a rare solo gig. Anyone who's ever seen the man live knows that you can never predict what will happen when he's given a stage & a microphone, but you know it will be an experience you won't soon forget. This is certain to be a special night, and is not to be missed without a notorized doctor's note, or due to reasons of incarceration.

GET YOUR TICKETS HERE!

I hope you didn't write that.

He's probably going to sing 3 songs, run around in circles then jump off and swim to timbuk tu.

To quote our own Rev Paulie (I think he said this about him):
.....it's not like he built a club or something....

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 08:56 AM

I remember he was touring and releasing records around 1990. Always playing Clevo and no one ever went.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoversux
I hope you didn't write that.

He's probably going to sing 3 songs, run around in circles then jump off and swim to timbuk tu.

To quote our own Rev Paulie (I think he said this about him):
.....it's not like he built a club or something....

No... I didnt write that. I'm on some mailing list for a concert promotor and I got an email about the show and thats what it said. I'm guilty of copying & pasting, but thats all!

I don't doubt that he will do something nutty and not worth paying $25 to see, but I will say that when I saw Bad Brains at CBGBs the week before they closed it was awesome & he was as good as anyone should expect him to be 30 years after they started.

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

xoversux

Mood: DYS SSD

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX

I will say that when I saw Bad Brains at CBGBs the week before they closed it was awesome & he was as good as anyone should expect him to be 30 years after they started.

I've seen them several times and I would have to say that 50% of the time they were amazing.

Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 10:00 AM

i'd love to see BB...

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 03:07 PM

He must be on a solo tour....

September 10th, 2008 8:00P

HR (from Bad Brains) @ The Living Room

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

Chris Trips

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 03:23 PM

HR solo usually was kinda lame...seen it many times

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 03:58 PM

He was supposed to do a solo show here last....Fall, I think it was.... Anyway, his band showed, his tour manager showed, he never did. I was surprised that he was booked here in the first place, but I really wasn't surprised at all when he never showed up. I felt bad for the band he had, they must've been taking a lot of abuse on that tour for his bullshit, when it became obvious that he wasn't going to show up at all they asked a few of us to keep the crowd from kicking the shit out of them. The tour manager promised that he would get HR to come back within a few months and play a free show to make up for it, but of course that never happened either.

While he has definitely earned a place in the Punk and Hard Core hall of fame, I think he's way too far gone to be much more than a parody of what he used to be.

Veritas odium parit
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 04:01 PM

If people keep paying him, he'll keep booking shows and singing to canaries while wearing motorcycle helmets.

Sounds like a pretty smart dude to me.
dummkopf

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 04:27 PM

hr solo is half as bad as hr in the bad brains these days. makes much more sense for him (and the audience) to play his freaked out reaggea tunes without the burdon of having to 'cover' (pun intended) old school hardcore songs as well. obviously this is what he wants to do and it shows as it is good for what it is.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dummkopf
hr solo is half as bad as hr in the bad brains these days. makes much more sense for him (and the audience) to play his freaked out reaggea tunes without the burdon of having to 'cover' (pun intended) old school hardcore songs as well. obviously this is what he wants to do and it shows as it is good for what it is.

I know its not like it was in 1982, but I was psyched when I saw Bad Brains at CBGBs and I thought they were really good. The songs were up to speed, the vocals were more than okay and at no point did it come off like 'covers'.

Thats just my opinion though.

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

Go To Top