Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RAYS vs PHILLIES
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 09:42 AM
RAYS vs PHILLIES

Will you be watching? I will, but supposedly this will be the least watched series ever. Each team deserves to be here and it should be a great series.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 10:27 AM

I dont really care about either team... I like the Phillies because they are an old time team, but Roco Baldelli from the Rays is from Woonsocket, RI and his Uncle was the mayor and a good friend of my grandfather so I'm torn.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
Will you be watching? I will, but supposedly this will be the least watched series ever. Each team deserves to be here and it should be a great series.

They say that every year that NY or Boston isn't in the series, its E.astern S.eaboard P.ropoganda N.etwork BS.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 10:42 AM

I will be watching.
With beer.
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 10:47 AM

I won't watch. Baseball just doesn't do anything for me. I want the Phillies to win though. Fuck any team in FLA.
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
I will be watching.
With beer.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 03:01 PM

I probably won't watch, because televized sports bores me. But I for the Phils. I lived there for 7 years, they are "my team."

MarkV

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 04:23 PM

Quote:

Ratings will probably be awful. Neither city is really a big market; Fox must be totally bummed.
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
Quote:

Ratings will probably be awful. Neither city is really a big market; Fox must be totally bummed.

I would say Philly is a big market.

MarkV

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 04:42 PM

Philly's actually the 4th largest, behind NYC, LA and Chicago; it's actually larger than Boston, but the Sox pull much bigger ratings.
I'm looking for a breakdown of markets by sports ratings.
MarkV

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 04:44 PM

This is from 2 years ago, but it's interesting, esp in regards to Tampa.
http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/36.html
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Philly's actually the 4th largest, behind NYC, LA and Chicago; it's actually larger than Boston, but the Sox pull much bigger ratings.
I'm looking for a breakdown of markets by sports ratings.

How do you know that the Sox pull bigger ratings?

MarkV

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 05:03 PM

Than the Phillies?!?!
They've won 2 titles in 4 years, been in the ALCS in 03,04,07 and 08. The Sox are one of the hottest sports' properties in the world right now, from a media and a merchandising angle.
When a team gets hot like that, the nation takes notice. Look at the pats over the past 8 years or so. Same thing.
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 05:22 PM

Yes!!! The Phillies!!!

They are a smaller market than Philadelphia and even with their success, they are not like the Cowboys in the NFL where they have a ton of fans outside of their market. For the Phillies you have fans in much of eastern PA, most of NJ (esp. s. Jersey) as well as Delaware. And the Phillies have been in top five, top ten in attendance even over the last 14 seasons when they haven't made the playoffs. It is not as lopsided as you think

So your statement about the ratings being awful is because of the Rays and their fair weathered fans, not the Phillies. Unlike Boston, who has been spoiled, Philly fans are dying for a world champ.

MarkV

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 05:40 PM

"they are not like the Cowboys in the NFL where they have a ton of fans outside of their market."

Huh??? First off, most of New England, outside of certain areas in CT, are all Sox fans. Portland ME and Pawtucket RI both have Sox minor league teams and are definitely, "Sox Country." Boston's a 4 hour drive to the next MLB team, NY. Philly's, what, within a 3 hour drive to Washington, Baltimore, 2 NYC teams and Pittsburgh? Second, I believe the Sox are the top selling merchandise team in the US right now. There's been tons of articles in the past few years about not being able to go to other cities without finding a lot of sox fans. (There was a very popular interview with Hank Steinbrenner earlier this year regarding this.) Partially due to lots of people relocating from NE and partially due to the HUGE college student influx who come to Boston for 4-6 years and then move on. Lots of those kids, esp in the past 5 years have adopted the Sox. I know out here in LA, not only were there a lot of people wearing Sox shit at games all season, but there's 4-5 "Red Sox bars" in LA county that are PACKED during Sox and Pats' games.
Plus, throw in the Dice K factor, and the Sox current popularity in Japan.
If I get a chance later on, I'll try to pull actual Neilson ratings for Phillies national games vs Sox games.
Before 03 or so, I'd have said the teams had pretty similar fanbases. Now, no way.
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 06:33 PM

I don't see much Sox fans from where I've been enough to make an assessment (much of PA, NJ, DE). And CT, ME, RI combined don't have a population more than PA.

Phillies have had more fans come out to their games, though Fenway is smaller than CPB, but the Phillies have a larger population in the surrounding area. The only way that the Sox would have noticeably higher TV ratings would be by their national fans. And I see more Yankees merch and hats around and on TV than I see Red Sox hats. But you seem to think the Sox have it by a large margin.

"Second, I believe the Sox are the top selling merchandise team in the US right now."

I do not believe that for a second. It has to be the Yankees.

Quote:

Philadelphia will carry the ratings.

MarkV

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 06:56 PM

I'm a life long yankees' fan, and the Sox have definitely given them a BIG TIME run for their money in the past 5 years. I'd like to think it's the Yankees, but it's definitely real close. The Yankees, much like the Cowboys you sited, are a team that's synonymous with, not only baseball itself, but America.

PA is 12.5 million. NE is 9.5. But, my point was, that a LARGE majority of that 9.5 are sox fans. PA has 2 MLB teams, plus, the proximity to the other teams I mentioned.

Plus, there's no way you could prove to me that on 10/20/08, there are more Phillies' fans in the US than Sox fans. Not at all.

I'm glad you're confident that Philly will carry the ratings, since all the national experts (both sports and media) are predicting the worst ratings in recent history.
MarkV

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 07:00 PM

Just out of curiosity, would you make the same argument for the Eagles over the Pats? Or even Sixers over the Celtics?
MikeCore

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 07:43 PM

Two words:

GO PHILLIES :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 07:52 PM

Eagles over the long time, absolutely. Patriots over the last the five years have the edge but Eagles fans are rabid and follow the team more loyally during the down years than the Patriots. Boston has always been more of a baseball town than a football town.

Celtics are one of the most storied franchises, so is Philly but Celtics win in a landslide.

Flyers and the Redwings have the two most hardcore fanbases.

And yeah, over the last couple of years the Sox have been the leading baseball team in the league but I was just pointing out that the Phillies aren't that far behind the Sox.

jsinn

Mood: B4B

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 08:34 PM

phillies...

spent my formative years learning skateboarding at Love Park, City Hall, Penns Landing, and South Street with the Spikes Skates crew...

and spent even more time sneaking down to Philly for shows either on the SEPTA or in cars packed with too many people...

and...when's the last time Philly won a championship in anything???

PHILLIES!!!!
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-21-2008 at 06:25 AM

3 generations of Phillies fans in my family are dying for a world sereis victory.
28 years is a long time.
pops is 73 and I'd like to se him see another.
junior is 11 and hasn't seen anything great happen in this city.
we want this.
MikeCore

[*] posted on 10-21-2008 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jsinn
phillies...

spent my formative years learning skateboarding at Love Park, City Hall, Penns Landing, and South Street with the Spikes Skates crew...

and spent even more time sneaking down to Philly for shows either on the SEPTA or in cars packed with too many people...

Wow, we might be twins :smilegrin: I didn't hang out with the Spikes Skates crew but did my fair share of Love Park/City Hall and South Street. PATCO was my Saviour...LOL.
godabandonedme

Mood: Darkbuster

[*] posted on 10-21-2008 at 02:36 PM

Phils are going to wreck shit. Awsome. New Welch Boys AND a championship? Good stuff.

\"Leave the gun....take the canolis.\"

Go To Top