Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Repost: The best unheard record of 2008
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 06:19 PM
Repost: The best unheard record of 2008

From Lind's blog on myspace. Thought some of you might be interested.

============

September 18, 2008 - Thursday

Our newest record, The Truth Can Be Brutal, was released on June 24, 2008 to positive listener reviews. But you won't see a ton of reviews of the CD online or in magazines. And you probably won't see many interviews either. And we won't make many top 10 lists for the year. Why? Because you have to pay for those things and that's something we don't have the means or the patience to do.

It's true. Next time you're in a local record shop or book store pick up a "punk rock" magazine and flip through the features section. Get a good look at who is getting coverage and who is getting rave reviews. And just know that these accolades are not based on merit alone but on the value of the dollar. This is how it works: a band or a label buys an advertisement in a magazine and then the magazine will throw them a review or a feature. But they won't get a poor review or a critical feature because the publication needs the future advertising dollars. It's essentially payola. In my opinion all this really does is maintain the status quo. No band is ever gonna get called out on the carpet for substandard work if the magazines and "critics" are afraid to step out of line. And this also allows any band or record label with a little bit of money to dictate what will be heralded as the next big thing.

I'm very proud of the arrangement we have as a band. We signed with Sailor's Grave because Andy is an honest guy. And we've been lucky to have our CD sell based on the word of mouth of those that have heard it. The saying is that you get credibility when you don't get paid and we're happy to be a credible band in the underground. Please keep up the word of mouth. We appreciate it a great deal.

But now it's time to try to take some of this back. I want to launch a music and politics blog that works off of donations. No advertising dollars will be accepted. Bands and issues will be covered based on merit alone. No publicist will make a band any more worthy of coverage than the next. Advertisements will be given for free to bands that deserve them. Donations will be accepted and the difference will be paid for by me out of pocket or through some sort of fundraising efforts. I want to take this back to where it belongs one person at a time and I'm looking for like-minded and interested people to join me in the cause. This is not to say that popular bands won't be covered. But popular bands will be covered because they're good and not because someone is dictating to us that they are good.

I'm looking for people with well thought out opinions. Articulate writers. And people that know how to build websites. If you're interested then drop me a line. I hope to get this moving quickly and develop it as we go.

-Mark

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
MarkV

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 06:59 PM

I have to disagree with Mark, it's not always good reviews. I have firsthand proof of that.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 07:17 PM

I like the idea.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 10-20-2008 at 07:20 PM

i like the idea as well..

jsinn

Mood: B4B

[*] posted on 10-21-2008 at 07:36 PM

hell...I give bad reviews as often as good...

but my opinion is just that...mine...

I have a philosophy for reviewing...sit back, crack a beer, put aside every preconceived notion, thought, idea, etc... I may have and just listen...take it in...

I either like it or don't...sometimes I have to revisit to be sure...a drive in the truck is good for that. captured audience...
I did a EULOGY RECORDINGS new release review...they were 2 for 6 with me...I dug Know the Score and Wisdom in Chains, but wasn't fond of Years Spent Cold or Until the End, and blasted Set Your Goals and Fallen From the Sky...and see, I'm sure I'll get called out on that...

Again, opinion...'tis all...what do I, or anyone who has an opinion know? just an expression of what we like and don't like...

Mark, I'll be honest...I reviewed your new CD. It just wasn't for me...but, again, that's just me and I have my taste like every one else has their own tastes...BUT, my kids loved it and thought I was "stupid..." (recent AMP Magazine, I think?)

All of this, including, what my kids thought, made it in the review.

I do get what you're saying. You, of all people, know the music industry is a shady place, at every level. There are a lot of publishers and editors with agendas based on advertising revenue. I've worked in TV news for a while now and we had a weather radar sponsored by the local hospital...yeah, never a bad story about that hospital on our air...

I found a good home where I write in that they allow me to pretty much write what I want, but then again I don't get paid. But, that's not why I enjoy writing for them. I dig what they do and love the freedom they allow...money corrupts honesty...we all know that...

Your idea is a great one...I think it will give everyone an opportunity to speak their mind...kind of what I see on this blog...go for it...I'd love to see it, read it, and contribute as well...

Good luck to you man...
I commend all you stand for...

Jason
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 10-21-2008 at 08:05 PM

I like this idea. SUcks he is put in this boat with his band/s but its a great idea.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.

Go To Top