Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: soundgarden
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

Mood: pissed off

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
The old singer died but his drug addictions prevented the band from touring for many years. The way I see AIC, it's always been Jerry Cantrell's band since he writes all the songs and sings lead on about half the material. I see it as his right to replace Layne Staley and carry on. He did the solo thing for a while out of respect to the other guy but unless he pulls a Lazarus, they ain't getting back together. haha

The new guy is like this 6 foot tall black man. So needless to say he isn't just some lookalike/soundalike that is out there trying to play a role. He does his own show and he has won the crowd over each time on his own merit. I think I've seen them 4 times now and this guy just keeps getting better and better. He sorta sounds like Layne Staley but not in a rip off way. He hits the notes. He also plays the guitar on some songs which is something they were lacking before.

Here are a couple of links to videos of him playing with them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO8bI5lK0lY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSIkYHq6N-c

They're recording a new record now. Their MySpace page has weekly video updates.

i didn't know layne was keeping them from touring. i have cantrell's first solo album and it sounded a lot like aic so i figured it was basically his band. i see what you're saying about the new singer. guy's good. i'll check out the myspace page.

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 11:21 AM

The last AIC album started as a Cantrell solo album. They just wheeled Layne Staley in there at the end to add vocals and called it AIC.

If you check out some of the videos from their last album you can see how unhealthy Layne Staley was even then. Somehow he managed to hold on a few more years but there are all sorts of rumors about him losing his fingers and stuff from poor circulation. There is one video from their last record where they have him laying down throughout. That's because he couldn't stand up. They also have another where he is holding on to a microphone stand that is bolted into the floor. You can tell by watching that he is using it to hold himself up. It's really sad.

joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
The last AIC album started as a Cantrell solo album. They just wheeled Layne Staley in there at the end to add vocals and called it AIC.

If you check out some of the videos from their last album you can see how unhealthy Layne Staley was even then. Somehow he managed to hold on a few more years but there are all sorts of rumors about him losing his fingers and stuff from poor circulation. There is one video from their last record where they have him laying down throughout. That's because he couldn't stand up. They also have another where he is holding on to a microphone stand that is bolted into the floor. You can tell by watching that he is using it to hold himself up. It's really sad.

i had heard those rumors. i had heard he lost his arms and legs too. that is sad though. i imagine watching it is even sadder. what was their last album with layne. cause i have boggy depot by cantrell.

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 12:15 PM

It's self titled and it has a 3 legged dog on the front cover.

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 12:31 PM

I like Soundgarden. In fact, Im similar to Mark in that Im kinda a sucker for the Seattle bands from the 90s. That's the shit I was listening to in Jr. High and High School. Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands.
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 12:42 PM

nirvana was mine, though i got into them when i was in high school which was years after kurt killed himself. i think i was in 8th grade and the first cd i got was nevermind.

SS76
Posting Freak

Mood: RAMALLAH

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 12:42 PM

Jerry Cantrell's Degradation Trip VOL. 1 and 2 is the BEST thing since AIC. With robert trujillo and mike bordin as his backing band, you can't go wrong. He even sounds like layne in most of the songs.My favorite next to facelift. Try this link if you've never heard it.
http://wolveswarriors.blogspot.com/2008/06/jerry-cantrell-de...

Silence is golden but violence is platinum.
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joemaconmovies
nirvana was mine, though i got into them when i was in high school which was years after kurt killed himself. i think i was in 8th grade and the first cd i got was nevermind.

actually, i bought muddy banks when it first came out which was '96. so, i got into them 2 years after kurt died.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 02:22 PM

Quote:

^^^^^^^^^^ where can you see some of the old LANE vids with him like that? Missing fingers and laying down?

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 02:29 PM

You can't see him as missing fingers. I think you confused the rumors with the videos.

If you watch their Unplugged video he is very unhealthy. There is a DVD called like Bank Heist or something that has all their videos on it. Check Amazon for a track listing and then check YouTube for the last few videos.

There is one that they had to do as an animated video.... supposedly because Layne couldn't work.

joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 02:48 PM

that unplugged show he looked like he was ready to die. i didn't know that was done towards the end of their career.

MarkV

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 06:46 PM

Shootingscars- He doesn't so much sound like Layne, it's that he did lead on a ton of AIC's stuff, and doubled Layne almost constantly, so his voice was really always in the mix.

I was really bummed on them using the AIC name, as Mark can attest to. I saw them (and met them) at the Dimebag memorial out here a year or so back, and they were absolutely phenomenal. I'd also venture to say the dude is taller than 6 foot. He and Cantrell were both taller than me.

Clevo- I have the Unplugged DVD and the other one, which is all their videos and you can watch the evolution of his drug addiction. He goes from kind of normal, to sickly, to healthy (he kicked dope during Dirt) then it gets worse and worse. The last 2 videos (Heaven Beside You and one other) are the ones Mark's talking about. He is literally laying down in one the entire time and is propped up on a bolted mic stand in the other. He's also wearing leather gloves.

He def didn't lose arms and legs. Not sure about fingers. I suspect the gloves were to cover needle scars. His addiction crippled that band. They were really poised to be megastars around Dirt and he kept falling off the wagon. They started touring that record (did Lolapalooza) and then came off the road. They had to put the 3rd record on hold several times as well.
SS76
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 07:27 PM

ok, not sooo much like Layne, but more like Layne than say, Choke or Ice Cube. But I see what you mean.

MarkV

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 07:31 PM

HAHA
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 01:11 AM

JAR OF FLIES is one of the greatest pieces of music I have ever heard and I am not a great fan of the band. I just love that record. Shit made me cry once listening to it. Sounds gay, but whatever. That is some deep shit they laid to wax. The music is perfect.

I saw them at LOLLAPALOOZA in 93 and they were very good live. IF it wasn't for RAGE and TOOL kicking ass they would have been the best live act there.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
MarkV

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 02:29 AM

That was the only time I saw them with Layne.

Jar of Flies is incredible.
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 08:28 AM

how many albums do they have, not counting unplugged?

SS76
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 08:41 AM

Damn. Jar of flies is one of the only ones I don't own. Never really got into it, but I was a completely different person when it came out.Maybe I'll give it another try.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 02:48 PM

I still remember seeing AIC on the Clash of the Titans tour with Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer. They got booed off the stage in less then 20 minutes. Layne came back out to flip off the crowd and tell us all to fuck off. It was pretty funny.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 04:42 PM

LP's
Facelift
Dirt
Self Titled

EP's
Sap
Jar of Flies

MarkV

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 04:51 PM

Then there's also the box set which is several discs worth of rarities, b sides, demos, etc.
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 05:00 PM

i meant studio releases that weren't b-sides or demos. so only 3 full lengths and 2 eps huh? i thought they had more

MarkV

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 05:05 PM

I got that part. I was just mentioning the box set.
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 07:17 PM

oh.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top