Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: the new GUNS AND ROSES
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joemaconmovies
i can't argue with your amazing logic. fuck! sorry to bother you, gavin.

see?????
there's the shot
like always
gotta take a personal shot esp. when you have nothing else to say

look back on the way you have acted on this board at times
says alot

you come at the king....you best not miss
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

Mood: pissed off

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 06:24 PM

ok

joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin
Quote:
i can't argue with your amazing logic. fuck! sorry to bother you, gavin.

see?????
there's the shot
like always
gotta take a personal shot esp. when you have nothing else to say

look back on the way you have acted on this board at times
says alot

sorry

MarkV

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
Quote:
the guitarist for nin also played on it. guitarist and drummer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shootingscars
I think robin finck(sp?) the guitar player from nin was in gnr for awhile.

None of NIN's drummers have been a part of it.

"Josh Freese was a member of Guns N' Roses from 1997 to 2000, replacing Matt Sorum and signing a 2-year contract. He recorded the song "Oh My God" for the End of Days soundtrack and pieces for the Chinese Democracy album, supposedly having co-written the music to the title track. He left the band in 2000.......Freese toured with Nine Inch Nails on their 2005-2006 With Teeth tour after the illness of drummer Jerome Dillon. Freese contributed live drum tracks to the songs "HYPERPOWER!" and "Capital G" on the Nine Inch Nails album Year Zero, which was released in 2007. Freese continued touring with Nine Inch Nails throughout 2007 in support of Year Zero, mainly outside of the U.S. In 2008 he worked with Reznor in the studio on The Slip and signed on for more extensive touring with the band through 2008."

Joe- You could have just written "Josh Freese."
However, I don't think it's really the same thing as Finck who played in NIN before (and now after) GNR. Josh did GNR 5 years before NIN. He also never played a show with GNR. He's a hired gun/session guy and incredibly prolific. He's no longer in NIN, either. He's also played with A Perfect Circle (actually a member), Vandals (actually a member), that Black Light Burns or something like that (the newish band with Wes Borland), the Replacements (new tracks), Paul Westerberg, Devo, Chris Cornell, Rob Zombie, Good Charlotte (recorded), Offspring (recorded), NIN, GNR, No Doubt, had a solo record and I know I'm missing some. Those are just off the top of my head.
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 06:50 PM

yah, you're right. i shoulda just written his name. but he did record on parts of chinese democracy and he's played live with nin and i think he's listed as a nin member as of right now. so, i mean, technically i was right. he's not as full on as the guitarist but he's a nin drummer who did record with them. i'm not sure why i put all that, probably because i wasn't sure who he was.

MarkV

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 07:17 PM

He's not in NIN now. The kid from Lost Prophets is the new drummer.
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 07:44 PM

i read that wrong. i confused the touring into '09 with him still being in the band. my bad.

Panic Records

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 10:51 PM

I haven't been home all day. I went and saw that movie Rocknrolla...it was pretty good. I'd say if you've seen the other Guy Richie films...then you already know what to expect. Anyways, this thread isn't about that, it's about the new GNR.

Not my jam.

Here's my review of the record, take it as you will...it's just my opinion. I like music that other think is HORRIBLE and also HATE music that other think is "Inredible". One of those records would be the new "Guns N Roses".

My Review:

An honest review of Chinese Democracy.

I'll preface it with Axl's own words from "This Is Love"...

"I just can't let it die"

Throughout this record Axl sounds like he is dying and after years of people laughing and waiting for this record to come out...the halirity ensues as Axl is unable to let Guns N Roses die. His one claim to fame, his one and only. He should have buried this band in 1997 after the departure of Slash, Duff and Izzy.

In 1987 when Appetite For Destruction came out. People were floored and that record became one of the biggest selling records in Hard Rock/Heavy Metal. And for good reason, good songs, good structure. Use Your Illusion was a great follow up and had a lot to live up to and did an incredible job of displaying that. Guns N Roses was a band that knew their shit.

Chinese Democracy, has become one of the most anticipated records of all time. Not because people were expecting greatness, but because people knew that Axl Rose was out of his mind and was a laughing stock. Proof is in the pudding, Axl Rose is out of his mind to tarnish the legacy that was Guns N Roses. Slash and the boys aren't even dead yet, but they will turn in their graves when they do die, over this one.

Track by track it gets worse and worse. The songs are stuck in this limbo of being a bad Soundgarden or a bad Staind. There's no continuity to the record. On some songs, like "If The World", it starts out with Axl trying to be soulful with his meow and just sounds embarrassing. The song "Scraped" Axl turns his meow into the sound of two cats in my alley getting it on. After the out of tune choir of meowing, it goes straight into that Soundgarden groove. Only thing is, Soundgarden did it when Grunge was huge, Axl, you missed the boat.

This record is an embarrassment. I'm surprised I sat through it, actually, I'm not. We love to watch car wrecks and buildings being demolished. Guns N Roses is dead. Axl kept legacy on life support for 9 years. The docs are in the room saying "we tried everything we could, but not even this record can save the damage that you've done to the band." RIP Guns N Roses.
SS76
Posting Freak

Mood: RAMALLAH

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 01:33 AM

I can't wait to see Rocknrolla.Its worth more discussion than gnr will ever be.

Silence is golden but violence is platinum.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 07:23 AM

I'm going to guess this album has the suck and not even bother.
MikeFromInhuman
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 12:19 PM

Im not sure if I ever mentioned this before, but the guitarist for GUNS N ROSES, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal produced and engineered the fist two records from INDECISION "Unorthodox" and "Most Precious Blood" and the first two INHUMAN records, "Evolver" and "Rebellion". He also did a lot of local Hardcore and Metal bands demos as well, first in a basement in Bensonhurst,Brooklyn and then in Staten Island NY.

Back then ( mid-late 90's) he was doing solo guitar work on
indie labels and even then we all thought he was an amazing musician and a really nice/cool guy.

So cheers to Ron!

morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 12:24 PM

Kinda off subject but holy shit, how many bands has Josh Freese played in?

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 12:38 PM

Dude may be a genuis, but he still wears a kfc bucket on his head.
Panic Records

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman
Im not sure if I ever mentioned this before, but the guitarist for GUNS N ROSES, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal produced and engineered the fist two records from INDECISION "Unorthodox" and "Most Precious Blood" and the first two INHUMAN records, "Evolver" and "Rebellion". He also did a lot of local Hardcore and Metal bands demos as well, first in a basement in Bensonhurst,Brooklyn and then in Staten Island NY.

Back then ( mid-late 90's) he was doing solo guitar work on
indie labels and even then we all thought he was an amazing musician and a really nice/cool guy.

So cheers to Ron!

Ron may be a stand up guy. Might even be another couple of them in GnR. But that record is horrible. He should have taken hints from Inhuman and Indecision back in the day and wrote some bad ass core.

What's up Mike!

I'm liking this board, it's full of older core guys.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 03:04 PM

I don't think Axl needs to let GNR die; I think the people that jock Slash/Duff/Izzy need to let that die. It is what it is and no one has any control over that. You have the choice to buy it or not buy it.

I've listened to it a few times now. Still undecided for the most part. Some of it is great. Some of it is pretty bad. But one thing I'm sure of now is that it fits in with their back catalog. I'm about 50% of the way through shuffling their entire discography of studio recordings on my iPod and it all flows and sounds the same. It isn't suffering from having new players on it.... maybe it suffers a bit in the songwriting area but not in the performances. But then again, there's a reason they did The Spaghetti Incident in 1993..... it's because Izzy Stradlin was their big songwriter and he quit in 1991.

Let's also not forget that it took the other members of the original line-up years to put together something decent. Izzy had the best post-GNR record with that "Ju Ju Hounds" cd he did but his career also went south quick. Duff played in Neurotic Outsiders with Steve Jones and that was decent but not GNR quality. His solo stuff sucked. Slash's Snakepit and Blues Ball were atrocious. It wasn't until 2003 or 2004 that they pulled Velvet Revolver together to have a decent release. So they're not exactly running circles around Axl.

Eh. The past is gone. Take or leave what's here now. Even the Illusion CD's weren't that good in retrospect.

MarkV

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
Dude may be a genuis, but he still wears a kfc bucket on his head.

That's Buckethead. Different dude than Bumblefoot.

I agree pretty much entirely with Lind.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
im gonna give you an example

i was praising that tim armstrong solo record
i love that record
so someone on here, maybe disipline i forget, came on and said he hates tim armstrong and that he is a piece of shit and whetever

now, did i take that as a personal insult?
no
why the fuck would i?

and that's exactly what you did here

Damn right I said that. Bringing it up again makes it personal now Gavin. It's on now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:tumble:

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
I don't think Axl needs to let GNR die; I think the people that jock Slash/Duff/Izzy need to let that die. It is what it is and no one has any control over that. You have the choice to buy it or not buy it.

I've listened to it a few times now. Still undecided for the most part. Some of it is great. Some of it is pretty bad. But one thing I'm sure of now is that it fits in with their back catalog. I'm about 50% of the way through shuffling their entire discography of studio recordings on my iPod and it all flows and sounds the same. It isn't suffering from having new players on it.... maybe it suffers a bit in the songwriting area but not in the performances. But then again, there's a reason they did The Spaghetti Incident in 1993..... it's because Izzy Stradlin was their big songwriter and he quit in 1991.

Let's also not forget that it took the other members of the original line-up years to put together something decent. Izzy had the best post-GNR record with that "Ju Ju Hounds" cd he did but his career also went south quick. Duff played in Neurotic Outsiders with Steve Jones and that was decent but not GNR quality. His solo stuff sucked. Slash's Snakepit and Blues Ball were atrocious. It wasn't until 2003 or 2004 that they pulled Velvet Revolver together to have a decent release. So they're not exactly running circles around Axl.

Eh. The past is gone. Take or leave what's here now. Even the Illusion CD's weren't that good in retrospect.

Damn, I'm surprised to see Mark write this... since he seems to be a huge GNR fan and an even bigger Izzy Stradlin fan (or should I say, seems to think Izzy is the main talent behind the band historically).

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-25-2008 at 11:31 AM

I think Izzy is the main talent. But what can you do?

All of his solo records (that I have) are decent but only one of them is great.

I'd say that I'd like to see the old line-up get back together but I'm not even sure they could put out a good record at this point. And how long would it take to make that record? 20 years?

This Chinese Democracy CD is pretty good. I'll settle for this rather than holding out for anything better.

MarkV

[*] posted on 11-25-2008 at 03:19 PM

People like to talk about how "important" the old members were (most people don't even realize Izzy's role and think it was Slash and Duff), yet, the Velvet Revolver records aren't great. The first one has moments. Second one's only sold 300,000 copies which makes me think it's nothing to write home about.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-25-2008 at 04:00 PM

The VR records are good for what they are. But it's no GNR. They're probably second best to Buckcherry in my mind as decent "rock" bands of the past 10 years or so.

MarkV

[*] posted on 11-25-2008 at 04:22 PM

It's decent. Some alright songs. I think BC are much better. Still think it's too bad Josh and Keith didn't work out with those other dudes.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 11-26-2008 at 01:20 PM

Quote:

i love that record
so someone on here, maybe disipline i forget, came on and said he hates tim armstrong and that he is a piece of shit and whetever

no
why the fuck would i?

That record is indeed amazing. I love the Aggrolites and with him fronting, it was perfection.
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-26-2008 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
Quote:

i love that record

no
why the fuck would i?

That record is indeed amazing. I love the Aggrolites and with him fronting, it was perfection.

agreed
i still listen to it
love it

you come at the king....you best not miss
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top