Printable Version  
Author: Subject: another music blog
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-23-2008 at 11:05 PM
another music blog

http://nogoodcause.blogspot.com/

Tons of good stuff on this one.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-23-2008 at 11:18 PM

I'm torn on the whole file sharing thing. Part of me doesn't give a shit. But when some dude goes out of his way to purdy up a blogspot site to look all hip and cool and then offers people's music for free when they have no right then it doesn't sit well with me. Maybe I'm a douche nozzle.....

random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-23-2008 at 11:38 PM

When it comes to vinyl-only releases and out of print stuff, I have no problem with download sites. Not one.

When it comes to new material, I tend to have mixed feelings. I'm still trying to replace things I bought and ripped after hard drive crash and ipod theft, so I feel not guilt there (and I still need copies of all of your stuff, all of which I bought except for, ironically, the "Live from..." album which is the only one I have now and possibly the only one that is out of print). Some things I won't buy if I can't hear them before. Some things I won't buy after hearing, but I might listen to a few more times.

For me, the bottom line is that most music sucks, even in genres I like. There are very few artists I will buy an album from on their reputation alone (and both Linds fall in this category... and you should both release more material!!!). Make sub-par products, and people will take it for free. Make good products, and people are more willing to pay for them.

In closing, I would just like to say... fuck Lars Ulrich.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-23-2008 at 11:42 PM

Lars is a turd and is welcome to wax my bathroom floor any time he feels up to it.
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
I'm torn on the whole file sharing thing. Part of me doesn't give a shit. But when some dude goes out of his way to purdy up a blogspot site to look all hip and cool and then offers people's music for free when they have no right then it doesn't sit well with me. Maybe I'm a douche nozzle.....

I agree with you. Even if it is OOP or rare, that doesn't make it okay to steal shit. The blog owner could at least seek to get permission from the bands he is stealing from, like Andrew from Aversionline.com.

Stealing from bands who are less known is worse than stealing from a big time band IMO.

Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
Make sub-par products, and people will take it for free. Make good products, and people are more willing to pay for them.

In closing, I would just like to say... fuck Lars Ulrich.

I disagree. Even if you make a great product more people will steal it because more people will want it and most people do not want to pay for it. Which is why its worse stealing from lesser known bands than bigger ones, but either way it is fucked.

random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com

I agree with you. Even if it is OOP or rare, that doesn't make it okay to steal shit.

I own the BFB "Enemy" 7". Tonight is the first time I've heard it. I bought it on eBay but don't own a record player. I got to hear it because I finally "stole" it online.

As for the eBay sale, nobody in the band made money off of it. If neither the band nor the label makes any money off the sale, I see no harm - and no supposed claim to any harm - in a download. Fuck, I'm happy that I might be able to hear some long OOP stuff might now because of downloads.

Having said all of this, I agree on some level that it hurts bands, and I realize I'm not a normal downloader. But it's nowhere near as clear cut as either extreme in the debate makes it sound.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 12:23 AM

I'm not down with downloading as it's theft. I know many people on this board disagree with me and that's cool. The only stuff I've downloaded are albums people have sent me, or albums that have been out of print for years that I can't find.

I will say, I signed up for soulseek to find something, and I ended up downloading a bunch of stuff I used to have on records or tapes I had bought. I had to force myself to stay away from the site because it's too damn tempting to go on there and just download everything I've ever wanted. If I went ahead and did that I'd feel like a complete hypocrite.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 12:51 AM

Yeah this blog does have some good shit, but as usual no info on the actual mp3's. I'd use it to go scout out the albums from another site and buy what I liked :)

Funny to see lots of really godd stuff then Avenged Sevenfold & Evergreen Terrace.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com

I agree with you. Even if it is OOP or rare, that doesn't make it okay to steal shit.

I own the BFB "Enemy" 7". Tonight is the first time I've heard it. I bought it on eBay but don't own a record player. I got to hear it because I finally "stole" it online.

As for the eBay sale, nobody in the band made money off of it. If neither the band nor the label makes any money off the sale, I see no harm - and no supposed claim to any harm - in a download. Fuck, I'm happy that I might be able to hear some long OOP stuff might now because of downloads.

Having said all of this, I agree on some level that it hurts bands, and I realize I'm not a normal downloader. But it's nowhere near as clear cut as either extreme in the debate makes it sound.

Buy a record player then. Why buy vinyl if the ONLY thing you're going to do is "look at it" or just buy it solely to collect it hoping to sell it for a profit later on, especially if you didn't buy it for the purpose of helping the band out and got it off something like Ebay.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 08:08 AM

I've been conteplating purchasing a new turntable for a while.
I can get a new home entertainment system in October when I reach my 10 year aniversary with my company, so i probably will then.
ive seen tons of records i would buy from genres outside of what we usually talk about.
records are just....well....cool to me.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 09:44 AM

I've been noticing that stores around here are expanding their vinyl sections quite a bit. It must be making a comeback or something.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 09:54 AM

obviously, it's gonna happen, but i find it a little disheartening to see your own releases on DL sites... especially when it's an album you know you've lost money on!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
mattybar

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 09:55 AM

i agree.
just found everything by my own band on there and a bunch of stuff we put out on rucktion.
SS76
Posting Freak

Mood: RAMALLAH

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 11:09 AM

I've spent many thousands on cds over the years...nothing worse than spending 30$ for a rare cd on ebay and it sucks. You know the band wouldn't be charging that much for a cd, and they're not making anymore money off that used cd. If a band isn't making their music available for sale,(demos, out of print, rarities, etc.) does it really bother them that fans are getting their hands on it? I'll always buy it if I can, for example, I would've easily paid 20$ for that WERS Blood For Blood podcast.But where could you buy it? That shit was incredible.....

Silence is golden but violence is platinum.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
obviously, it's gonna happen, but i find it a little disheartening to see your own releases on DL sites... especially when it's an album you know you've lost money on!

Can't you guys send them a cease and desist letter?

Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
I've been noticing that stores around here are expanding their vinyl sections quite a bit. It must be making a comeback or something.

i saw 6 different releases at Best Buy on vinyl.

some sort of revival is going on if BB is carrying it.
DeathByForce

Mood: H2O

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 06:47 PM

I've almost stopped buying cd's completely.
We have at least three good record stores in town, where I don't need to purchase cds anymore.

I download but only here and there. Plus most of the stuff I am downloading, are on a list of vinyl to buy. I can drop anywhere between 20 to 200$ in one stop in.

At least this way it's supporting either the artist or the independent record store. Which I can get behind.

\"rap isn\'t music\" - mozart
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 08:20 PM

I used to download a shit ton of music, I ended up with 30 something gigs of all genres on my harddrive. I don't download anymore these days, but I don't feel bad about it . Yeah I would love to support all the bands that I like and when I can afford to I do it, but when there ain't no money to spend I'm still gonna get down to the latest tunes. I'll enjoy it for free now and buy the record plus some merch when there is extra money in the bank.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 09:28 PM

Vinyl is making a huge comeback, they even had a news story about it a couple months ago. It's all genres too, rock bands coming out in vinyl again, not just underground stuff.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 10:22 PM

Vinyl has been on the rise particularly since they started making the usb turntables.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 10:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BD

Can't you guys send them a cease and desist letter?

most of the DL services like megadownload or ysi have a link for requesting the removal of files for copyright violations, and they will pull a file quickly, but at the end of the day, whose got the time to constantly police that, ya know?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 12-24-2008 at 11:16 PM

how about the argument, about that if you did buy it at somepoint, on some format, you have the right to d/l something....

because technically, if you own something you own something...like d/l all the shit you have on record, to have onyour mp3 player of your choice etc....

Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-26-2008 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
how about the argument, about that if you did buy it at somepoint, on some format, you have the right to d/l something....

because technically, if you own something you own something...like d/l all the shit you have on record, to have onyour mp3 player of your choice etc....

If you lost it but wouldn't it be more work to find something, download it and put it on your MP3 player than just ripping your CD unless you're talking JUST about vinyl.

Go To Top