Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: the dark knight
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 01:23 AM

I agree about the newest Batman movies being very un-comic like. I mean, obviously we're dealing with a character and basic story ideas which come from comic books, so in that sense they are definitely comic based movies, but with Batman Begins and then (a hundred times moreso) Dark Knight, they are very realistic in the sense that nothing in them is beyond the scope of actual technology or nature. There are no superpowers for either the hero or villains, there's really nothing in these movies to leave these stories in the realm of fantasy and that's exactly why they are so strong.

I wasn't arguing your point on the Junkie business, Mark. Like most people, I heard the original news about his death and figured it was either a stupid overdose thing, an intentional suicide, or some terrible accident. As I'm not the kind of person who feels the need to follow up every story about a celebrity, I never researched it further down the road and never heard what the final decision was on how he actually died. I also agree that it's sad that he died right after finishing a role that showed he had a huge amount more talent than any of the fluff roles he was known for before ever showed. I just don't get into that whole "the world has suffered a great loss" thing that happens anytime a celebrity died. I don't give an ounce more credence to someone just because their job is to be on stage or screen or whatever.

Veritas odium parit
MarkV

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 01:32 AM

I agree. I wasn't saying you were arguing it. I was referring to the original post by Voodoo. I do think it's sad when anyone with a lot of potential in any walk of life dies young needlessly. And, he was a pretty well respected actor before this, but never in this dark a role obviously. Wasn't he nominated for an oscar for Broke Back Mountain?
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
I think it's probably the best comic based movie so far.

I have to dispute this statement, Hellboy is by far the best comic adapted flick to hit the screens in my humble opinion. Dark Knight was good, but not THAT good. And the junky was good, but not THAT good. There are plenty of others who could have acted circles around his version of ol' laughs.

You seriously have some type of man crush or something on Ledger, seems you can't wait to interject this when these threads come up. and didn't he die from pills anyway?
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 07:22 AM

I said my piece, it's my opinion and I will leave it that. No man crush to speak of though unless you speak of Saint Tom Brady:saint:
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
BD watch Batman Begins, wicked ........

added to the netflix cue and topped!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 04:51 PM

Batman Begins is pretty much Batman: Year One and the Man Who Falls smushed together with Ra's al-Ghul and the League of Shadows thrown in.

The Dark Knight is pretty much Batman: The Long Halloween whittled down to an appearance by the Scarecrow and a little bit of Harvey Two-Face and mostly the Joker. Still, pretty much the same story.

I expect the next one to be a Dark Victory(by the same guys who did TLH) adaptation.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 04:55 PM

see, i don't follow the comic at all, so as long as the movies jive logistically with one another, i'm down.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 09:38 PM

Those particular comics are really good BD. Better yet, you don't have to get into decades of comic stories to know why something is the way it is. You read Year One you get the origin, The Long Halloween is a couple years later, and Dark Victory picks up where TLH left off.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 09:48 PM

The Dark Knight Returns is still my favorite comic of all time.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline

Same here. I would have to say Year One is my second favorite.

MarkV

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
I said my piece, it's my opinion and I will leave it that.

Then your opinion is based on inaccurate info.

What's the gist of Dark Victory?
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 09:24 AM

year one was wicked, and the killing joke and the cult.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com
Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline

Same here. I would have to say Year One is my second favorite.

When did Year One come out? I seem to remember something with a similar title from back when I used to buy comics, but that was many years ago.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Dave
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 01:00 PM

late 80's it came out.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 01:36 PM

Okay, I used to have those.

Dave
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 01:47 PM

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 03:09 PM

Never read the Cult. I'll have to check it out.

The gist of Dark Victory is that it comes right on the coattails of The Long Halloween and is indeed a sequel and thus TLH is necessary reading. It revolves mostly around Two-Face, and the beginnings of Robin's career with Batman are there too. Though, as I recall(it's been a little while since I read it), it takes quite a while for Dick Grayson to actually put on a Robin costume and join Batman in anything. Mostly it's about him coping with his parents' murder and getting aquainted with Bruce Wayne and finding out he's Batman along with the mystery involving Two-Face, Joker, etc.

MarkV

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 03:41 PM

Gotcha. Bale and Nolan have both said in the past there's almost no chance they'd ever incorporate Robin into their franchise.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 05:58 PM

It'd be an interesting way to end the series, with Bruce picking up Dick with it understood that he intends on helping Dick deal with his tragedy the only way he knows how. Which would, of course, result in Dick also becoming a potentially nutty costumed vigilante who is able to take out all his angst on thugs in the most brutal of fashions.

Haha, that's what Frank Miller is doing in All-Star Batman and Robin... of course, he takes it so far that Batman actually beats on Dick/Robin and psychologically tortures him. Which leads into Dick's appearance in The Dark Knight Strikes Again and why he hates Bruce so much. Anyways. A bit more toned down version of that is how I could see it working out in the Nolanverse.

The whole refusal to introduce Robin is rooted in the belief that Robin's got to be irredeemably campy, and I think the Batman tales of the last 20 years have pretty much put that to rest. Even before that with Jason Todd as Robin you could say it was put to rest, but that rediculous costume was still campy. When they changed it to the costume that inspired the Robin suit in Batman Forever Robin actually fit with a darker Batman and Gotham.

MarkV

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 08:09 AM

I don't want to see it, at all. Because, you KNOW what will happen, even if they just introduce Dick? We'll get a 4th without Nolan and probably without Bail, and the horrible process will start, again.
Christ, Dick Grayson will be the equivalent of the fucking Ewoks in Return of the Jedi. Dark Knight IS the Empire Strikes Back of this era. Nolan needs to be VERY careful how he handles this third one. Being that he seems to actually have artistic integrity, I'm hoping for the best here. I'd be into 2 Face coming back (they faked his death, they just put him in Arkham). I could see a well done Penguin or as my buddy suggested, a Riddler, more in the vein of Jigsaw from Saw... someone sort of holding the city hostage through using people to commit heinous crimes through riddles. If this fucking thing has a broad in a tight leather suit purrrrring or an acrobat in shorts.... I'm going to be really bummed out. Then again, I was bummed on Ledger as the choice (I preferred the idea of Crispin Glover) and I was pleasantly surprised.
Dave
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 08:27 AM

i think jonny depp would make a good riddler

DeathByForce

Mood: H2O

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 08:28 AM

This movie is SO overrated.

It didn't delve much into Batman at ALL. It was supposed to be a Batman movie, right? Not a Joker movie.
I would've loved to see more involvement with the psychology between joker and batman. It was a movie of introductions and explosions. They just ended up getting lazy and not explaining anything.

The ending was the only good part.

\"rap isn\'t music\" - mozart
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 10:25 AM

no
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
I don't want to see it, at all. Because, you KNOW what will happen, even if they just introduce Dick? We'll get a 4th without Nolan and probably without Bail, and the horrible process will start, again.
Christ, Dick Grayson will be the equivalent of the fucking Ewoks in Return of the Jedi. Dark Knight IS the Empire Strikes Back of this era. Nolan needs to be VERY careful how he handles this third one. Being that he seems to actually have artistic integrity, I'm hoping for the best here. I'd be into 2 Face coming back (they faked his death, they just put him in Arkham). I could see a well done Penguin or as my buddy suggested, a Riddler, more in the vein of Jigsaw from Saw... someone sort of holding the city hostage through using people to commit heinous crimes through riddles. If this fucking thing has a broad in a tight leather suit purrrrring or an acrobat in shorts.... I'm going to be really bummed out. Then again, I was bummed on Ledger as the choice (I preferred the idea of Crispin Glover) and I was pleasantly surprised.

Like I said before, Robin doesn't have to be the Robin of the 40s-late 80s. His look could be based on the Robin from the 90s to the look he's got now. Shit, he's mostly covered in black these days.

No one could possibly work Robin in this this Batman story without it being really dark, there's no possible way to go from Batman Begins and the Dark Knight and turn it into a campy romp akin to Batman Forever or Batman & Robin. Especially if WB is smart and doesn't hand the whole project over to some loopy gay dude with a fetish for rubber nipples.

Part of the problem with the old franchise was that it was Tim Burton's baby from the get-go. Batman was great, Batman Returns was cool if not a little weirder than anyone would've preferred... but they were also zany in that Tim Burton way. They had the seeds for Schumacher's camp all along. And Tim Burton was the producer on Schumacher's trainwrecks(actually, while Batman Forever sucks it's not nearly as bad as Batman & Robin).

Nolan's constructed a world where that kind of Robin can't exist, but there's no reason why some form of Robin can't exist. The character has gone through plenty of reinvention that it could work out.

I like the character, I also like the idea of the character and what his purpose evolved into with the introduction of Tim Drake as Robin III. The whole thing was that Batman needs a Robin, to keep him grounded. Without someone there to ground him he just gets sucked deeper and deeper into his dark persona until he starts becoming the monsters he fights. That would actually be worthwhile psychological ground to cover in Nolan's Gotham... it's also the precisely the direction I see Batman heading. Bruce becomes dangerously absorbed in the task of being Batman that he ceases to distinguish between Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Dave
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 12:59 PM

just skip robin and goto nightwing.......

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top