Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: the dark knight
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
Like I said before, Robin doesn't have to be the Robin of the 40s-late 80s. His look could be based on the Robin from the 90s to the look he's got now. Shit, he's mostly covered in black these days.

Nolan's constructed a world where that kind of Robin can't exist, but there's no reason why some form of Robin can't exist. The character has gone through plenty of reinvention that it could work out.

I like the character, I also like the idea of the character and what his purpose evolved into with the introduction of Tim Drake as Robin III. The whole thing was that Batman needs a Robin, to keep him grounded. Without someone there to ground him he just gets sucked deeper and deeper into his dark persona until he starts becoming the monsters he fights. That would actually be worthwhile psychological ground to cover in Nolan's Gotham... it's also the precisely the direction I see Batman heading. Bruce becomes dangerously absorbed in the task of being Batman that he ceases to distinguish between Bruce Wayne and Batman.

If they introduced Robin in this fashion I would be cool with it. If they were going to bring in the character, I think have him come in as simply Dick Grayson midway through the third movie, and bring out the Robin character in a fourth movie. As long as they can keep them as good as the first two, I hope they make another few movies.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 02:53 PM

The Dark Knight is ovverated. Italian batman would kick his ass any day, and score with all the ladies.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3emn6_bathman-dal-pianeta-...
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 03:25 PM

italian batman has a DOPE soundtrack.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
I said my piece, it's my opinion and I will leave it that.

Then your opinion is based on inaccurate info.

What's the gist of Dark Victory?

oooooookay, thank you for being the authority on this subject and setting me straight. Now, what are you going to do to fix the economy all seeing and knowing OZ?
MarkV

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByForce
This movie is SO overrated.

It didn't delve much into Batman at ALL. It was supposed to be a Batman movie, right? Not a Joker movie.
I would've loved to see more involvement with the psychology between joker and batman. It was a movie of introductions and explosions. They just ended up getting lazy and not explaining anything.

The ending was the only good part.

It's not really a Batman movie. The whole thing is Batman "not being the hero Gotham needs." It's really more about Dent. That's actually why I think the movie was so good and so powerful. It's more Dent, the Joker, Wayne THEN Batman. I thought most everything was explained well enough.
And I'd guess based on the last line the Joker says in the movie, that there were obvious intentions of exploring their relationship further in the third movie.

Dave- Put like that, I'm not as opposed. I'm still scared of ewoks though.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 04:28 PM

Oh c'mon Mark. Would you rather have Ewoks or Gungans?

Seriously though, have you guys read Batman Year Three? At that point Jason Todd/Robin II is dead. Bruce is totally busted up about that still... plus Joker shooting and paralyzing Barbara "Batgirl" Gordon. Dick Grayson is back as Nightwing... and they are letting Tony Zucco... the dude responsible for the deaths of Dick's parents out of jail.

Batman is brutalizing EVERYONE, viciously to get at Zucco and the mob. Dick and Alfred are worried about him etc. Considering the era... when they would still use the light blues to color Batman's cape and cowl... this one is DARK. I mean, they switched to a really really dark blue and shadowed everything pretty heavily. Nightwing's outfit is rather ludicrous... I mean, think a blue and baby blue version of the old Iron First costume... but man is Batman badass and what you could see Bale's Batman being like if he was just a tad bit further over the edge.

Year Three is almost immediately followed up by A Lonely Place of Dying that features not only Two-Face as the main antagonist... but Tim Drake actually figuring out with his uncanny detective skills who Batman is... and indeed, who all those associated with him are. It is Tim that convinces Bruce that he needs Robin to keep him grounded. Not long after that the classic Robin get-up is discarded with in favor of a Robin with a full body suit of red and dark green with a black cape and ninja boots.

This is the era that I was really getting into Batman as a comic book reader, rather than as a kid who was watching Super Friends and playing with the Super Powers action figures. It wasn't long after the first Batman movie. Plus you had Batman The Animated Series... and I can't help but think of how Robin worked out in that one. Usually managing to fit nicely with the tone rather than add alot of campy nonesense, unless they were going for a particularly goofy episode. It was Robin III that inspired every media portrayal of Robin after 1990. The animated series Robin and even the shitty Chris O'Donnel Robin costume at least found it's origins in Robin III.

MarkV

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
Quote:
I said my piece, it's my opinion and I will leave it that.

Then your opinion is based on inaccurate info.

What's the gist of Dark Victory?

oooooookay, thank you for being the authority on this subject and setting me straight. Now, what are you going to do to fix the economy all seeing and knowing OZ?

Well dude, he wasn't a junkie and died of an accidental overdose. Kind of contradicts your opinion, doesn't it?
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 05:08 PM

Let's just drop, eh?

Been enough hostility over piddly shit on here lately...

Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 05:17 PM

Not being hostile at all, trying to be funny but comes across wierd on the ol computer. No hard feelings Mark, I still don't buy the "accident" deal. Dosen't matter anyway. he still played a rad joker and it's too bad he won't be able to do it again. I just don't feel bad for him is all. I DO feel bad for the kid, that is always tragic. You never did answer how you were going to fix the economy.
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 05:19 PM

Dave, you are talking some seriously good Batman by the by, I am currently reading Cult, but could you breakdown in a list the order of all of these books as you are supposed to read chronoligically? I want to make sure I don't confuse myself as that is very easy to do.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 06:53 PM

Honestly, I don't know jack about the Cult. Interested though.

So far I've mentioned the requisite Year One, then The Last Halloween, then Dark Victory. All of that is Dick Grayson's day.

In terms of the emergence of Robin III/Tim Drake it's essential to read A Death In The Family first. Joker kills Jason Todd. Then Year Three, which is Dick coming back after being away 2 years and Jason's been dead for a few weeks or months. Right on the heels of that comes A Lonely Place of Dying where Bat's is nuts, the press has no clue that Robin's been killed and Tim Drake is investigating Batman and figures out his secret and everything. Including the identies of Robin and the death of Jason Todd. Meanwhile, Two-Face is going nuts on Gotham trying to kill Batman.

All of that just leads into where they introduce Robin III and his new look. Which isn't even in a major story, it just happens in an issue titled "Debut."

A Lonely Place of Dying would actually be the perfect major influence for the next Batman movie. Especially the way it starts... because if Nolan wanted to use Two-Face again the way he left Two-Face's fate open enough that I'm not convinced he's dead... holy cow, this would work perfectly. Splice in Dark Victory to introduce Dick Grayson rather than have it be Tim Drake. Man, it would work. I don't care what anyone thinks... the introduction of someone for Bruce Wayne to care about so that he has to actually care about Bruce Wayne rather than be completely absorbed into being the Caped Crusader and become lost in his one man war on crime could really really work. Especially with Batman now being officially vilified by Gotham and tagged with the murders that Two-Face did. I see no reason why he wouldn't be going off the deep end in the next film. Alfred's obviously not enough to keep him grounded.

The Dark Knight literally left Bruce Wayne with nothing at the end. He was going to abandon Batman so he could hook up with Rachel... well, she's dead and buried. He's not the hero that Gotham thought he was anymore, if only because his PR is now bad because he decided to take the fall for Harvey to keep hope alive in Gotham's legal system.... which we all know is shot to hell. Harvey blames him for everything, if he were to come back it would definitely be a plot to kill the Bat. Cops after him for his increasingly brutal tactics, then the mob offs the Flying Graysons... and just to modernize it let's say it's not a Barnum and Baily sorta circus but more like Cirque du Soleil. Something that snobs are going to be at. Anyways... read A Lonely Place of Dying and you'll see where I'm coming from. There's also someone in contact with Harv from within good old Arkham Asylum too...

Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
Honestly, I don't know jack about the Cult. Interested though.

So far I've mentioned the requisite Year One, then The Last Halloween, then Dark Victory. All of that is Dick Grayson's day.

In terms of the emergence of Robin III/Tim Drake it's essential to read A Death In The Family first. Joker kills Jason Todd. Then Year Three, which is Dick coming back after being away 2 years and Jason's been dead for a few weeks or months. Right on the heels of that comes A Lonely Place of Dying where Bat's is nuts, the press has no clue that Robin's been killed and Tim Drake is investigating Batman and figures out his secret and everything. Including the identies of Robin and the death of Jason Todd. Meanwhile, Two-Face is going nuts on Gotham trying to kill Batman.

All of that just leads into where they introduce Robin III and his new look. Which isn't even in a major story, it just happens in an issue titled "Debut."

A Lonely Place of Dying would actually be the perfect major influence for the next Batman movie. Especially the way it starts... because if Nolan wanted to use Two-Face again the way he left Two-Face's fate open enough that I'm not convinced he's dead... holy cow, this would work perfectly. Splice in Dark Victory to introduce Dick Grayson rather than have it be Tim Drake. Man, it would work. I don't care what anyone thinks... the introduction of someone for Bruce Wayne to care about so that he has to actually care about Bruce Wayne rather than be completely absorbed into being the Caped Crusader and become lost in his one man war on crime could really really work. Especially with Batman now being officially vilified by Gotham and tagged with the murders that Two-Face did. I see no reason why he wouldn't be going off the deep end in the next film. Alfred's obviously not enough to keep him grounded.

The Dark Knight literally left Bruce Wayne with nothing at the end. He was going to abandon Batman so he could hook up with Rachel... well, she's dead and buried. He's not the hero that Gotham thought he was anymore, if only because his PR is now bad because he decided to take the fall for Harvey to keep hope alive in Gotham's legal system.... which we all know is shot to hell. Harvey blames him for everything, if he were to come back it would definitely be a plot to kill the Bat. Cops after him for his increasingly brutal tactics, then the mob offs the Flying Graysons... and just to modernize it let's say it's not a Barnum and Baily sorta circus but more like Cirque du Soleil. Something that snobs are going to be at. Anyways... read A Lonely Place of Dying and you'll see where I'm coming from. There's also someone in contact with Harv from within good old Arkham Asylum too...

thanks big guy
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 1-7-2009 at 11:42 PM

the cult was a mini series, and the killing joke was a graphic novel, so they really dont follow the order of things i guess.....

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2009 at 04:08 AM

Yeah, not really. Though somehow the Killing Joke fits into it all since it's part of the continuity.

That's also one of those things that gets the Bat all dark and scary in the storylines from 88-89.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 1-8-2009 at 11:12 AM

Killing Joke was amazing. Joker's sadistic side came out in full force.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 1-8-2009 at 12:46 PM

that the way the joker is suppose to be.

the hush story line from a few years ago was good too, the loeb/lee run.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 1-8-2009 at 02:47 PM

Now I want to go out and buy a shitload of comics.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2009 at 03:00 PM

Fortunately alot of shit is in trade paperback!

Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 1-8-2009 at 03:49 PM

Hush 1 and 2 are both in TPB, Jim Lee does a Badass Batman!
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-11-2009 at 11:50 AM

watched batman begins last night
it was definitely good
i might have liked it more than the dark knight
but only because it told more of the batman story
and was more in line with what i remember from the old tv show (wayne manor, the secret elevator, bustin out of the cliff)

are batman begins and the dark knight by the same director?
how many movies did christian bale sign up for?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-11-2009 at 11:52 AM

oh..
katie holmes sucked it
maggie gyllenhall, who i normally like, wasn't so great either
looked a little, i dunno...

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-11-2009 at 01:51 PM

Same director. Bale is on for 3, though Nolan... the director... apparently hasn't officially signed on for 3 yet.

In alot of ways Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are very different movies.

hardtone

[*] posted on 1-11-2009 at 04:58 PM

BB & TDK are the faithful movie adaptations informed Batman fans have waited for.

Hush
The Dark Knight Returns
The Killing Joke
A Death in the Family
The Long Halloween
Batman: Year One
Are probably some of the best Bat story arcs we have?

I’m I missing anything really worth mentioning?

MarkV

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 02:38 PM

BD-
Bale is also signed on to do 3 new Terminator films, which are sequel/prequels. He's playing John Connors as an adult leading the resistance in the future. First one comes out this spring or summer, I believe.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 11:44 PM

Bale's a busy man.

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top