Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: This is Hardcore 2008 DVD
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 08:03 AM
This is Hardcore 2008 DVD

$8 presale:

http://www.districtlines.com/11629-This-Is-Hardcore-Fest-200...

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 08:49 AM

Wow everything has a DVD these days eh? Far more interested in the bands on BNB though. But $8 is hard to pass up.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 10:10 AM

$8 is a great price.
too bad i dont know none of them bands but Terror.
what about that dvd that guy was doing about NYHC in the early -mid 90s?
did that ever get done ?
not the one with rick ta life's mug on it, another one...
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 11:18 AM

if I find this at HOTTOPIC I'll ask one of those morons to grab one down for me from the rack. Then listen while the dude tells me he was once "hardcore" but is now more "oldschool rock"

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 12:11 PM

I got the NYHC Documentary, that one is good. The Guerilla Warfare fanzine DVD's were great too.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 01:29 PM

The only way I'd get this dvd is if some random person handed me a free copy. Then I'd likely sell it on ebay or give it to a homeless person.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 05:33 PM

They should change the name to THIS IS proof that HARDCORE is dead.

Veritas odium parit
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 07:36 PM

You know this board is hard to enjoy for me sometimes.
I don't understand the need you guys feel to shit on anything that came out post-1989 or whatever.
Maybe you don't like the bands on the DVD but why shit on the thing because you don't like/never heard of the bands? Because "hardcore is dead" or "the kids don't get it anymore"?
Maybe if some of you actually got off the internet and went to some shows, to a fest, or whatever you'd find that there are some good new kids and bands out there that are sincere about what they're doing. You'd also discover that there are actually some dudes your own age (30's on into 40's) that are still going to shows or playing in bands. I could name 1000 examples.
Believe me I get the feeling that hardcore sucks now and all the kids suck now and it's just not the same anymore too. But fuck man you guys constantly shit on and make fun of ANYTHING that anyone is doing in the modern day for hardcore.
I just don't get it.
If any of you take personal offense to this, sorry.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 08:24 PM

That's just it though, I've tried for so many years to find new Hard Core bands that move me and it's become consistently harder to do. I've put in a LOT of time and work trying to promote the scene in many ways and yet I keep realizing that the things I loved about HC have moved on. I still keep my ears open for new and interesting bands and hope that the spark of what meant so much to me at one time is still alive, but I don't see it too often. The bands on this DVD that I'm familiar with are all the type of music that says NOTHING to me and makes me want to give up on having anything to do with HC. I will support anybody in creating music, I think that's fantastic that people feel that passion and want to share it with the world, but at the same time I get sick of hearing the same old crap that sounds like some sort of Hatebreed filtered Slayer or so on and so forth. That sound has nothing to do with HC to me and the same tired ass lyrics about crews beating people down or friends being family and family being friends and getting stabbed in the back and so on and so forth just have the same credibility as the last Britney Spears or Justin Timberlake song as far as I'm concerned.

In the past few years I've found a handful of bands that I would consider HC and who actually have something interesting and worthwhile to contribute, in my opinion. For example, I just recently got turned on to a German band called Dean Dirg who blew me away. I understand that they don't fit in with what 99.9% of today's crop of "hard core kids" would consider HC and that's fucking sad to me and why I think HC is dead. I've gotten really into some Canadian bands lately too, Career Suicide and Fucked Up to name two of my favorites. I would definitely consider both of those bands to fall into my definition of HC, but I've seen tons of reviews and shit talking about what they are or aren't and missing the point altogether.

As for going to shows and fests, I do what I can, but in my area I'm fairly limited to the few times I can get to either Albuquerque or Denver and since the closest of those cities is a good three hour drive away in good weather, I'm not likely to drive down for every show that happens just to check out a band I've never heard of before. Don't get me wrong, there's very little I love more in this world than discovering a new band that gets my heart pounding, but unless I've got a good indication that at least one band on a show is gonna be great, I'm almost definitely not gonna go. I wish I was in a city where I could pop in and check things out once or twice a week, I did that when I still lived in Austin and although I was still seeing a lot of crap bands that shouldn't be wasting anyone's time, I was still amped to get to go and see if there might be some new band that had that spark.

Obviously, we all have our own points of view on this scene and/or music, but does that make it any clearer to you where I'm coming from? Joel, you seem like a stand up guy and I'm not trying to downplay your passion for HC at all, but there's no way in hell I'm not gonna feel free to speak my mind on something as close to my heart as HC.

Veritas odium parit
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
$8 is a great price.

Never heard of Wisdom In Chains?

You old fogies need to crank up the hearing aids and break out the walkin sticks.
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 09:05 PM

Don't get me wrong man. I hear everything you're saying. Believe me I'm not some face tattoo having mosh warrior who eats up any and all things generic. I personally don't like a ton of bands that played TIH but I still go to the fest and do the website for it for 2 reasons...one of my best friends puts on the whole thing, and the other reason is I feel like I should go and be one of the examples a 15 year old kid can look up to. I mean I'm 28 and I'm an old man to these little kids. If a 14 year old gets all his knowledge from an 18 year old kid who knows nothing about nothing, where does that leave the scene then? Just like kids need their dad around to say "hey fuckyface sit the hell down and act right," the scene needs older dudes to set an example as well.
I understand your situations. One, your taste in hardcore is different than what seems popular now. Two, you're far away from really active hardcore scenes. I'm from Memphis, TN...I know how it is. Really I used to feel the same way you do. But in the last year my life has changed drastically to the point where I can tour and travel to anything I want and I've been to a ton of shows everywhere and met a ton of people. And I've realized that EVERYONE over a certain age feels the same about hardcore and bitches about it and all they want it to be like it used to be.
But really why is it different now? If you ask me it's because for a good while the older dudes said "fuck it. I'm over it. I don't care anymore." So these young kids started new scenes/bands with looks and ideas they got off the internet or from some other butter soft "tough" kid.
That's why I support shit like This Is Hardcore because you have new bands that bring out new kids. Then in the middle of everything you have a band like Maximum Penalty who are all prolly 100 years old. They're up there showing these kids that hardcore isn't a little high school fad that wore off for them. It's something they've been doing for 20 years or more. They're also showing these youngs bands that you don't have to bark like a dog and play chug riffs to be hard. On the other side of it, a modern band like Blacklisted shows these old dudes that there are new people who do give a fuck about this music and its history and all that.
I don't mean to be long winded or say I'm better than anyone. I just feel like there's a lot of negativity on here for anything new. It's like "It happened/came out in 2008? Terror played? There weren't any circle pits? Oh fuck that then. Shitty!" And I don't mean to single you out at all...everyone does it including myself. I just want people to think a little more about this kind of stuff before they dis it as bullshit.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 09:06 PM

To add to what the Saint said, I also look for new bands and want to find bands I like but it's really hard. A lot of what gets called hardcore these days sounds like badly played metal. I can't go out to festivals because they're often in the States or Europe, but even if they held one here in Toronto I likely wouldn't go. I've checked out most, if not all, of the bands on that dvd and can't get into them. Take Terror for example, I loved their first album, but each one since then has gotten more and more metal, and less hardcore. The only festivals that appeal to me are the ones that have all the old bands playing.

MOre and more these days if I discover a new band I like it's outside of hardcore. It may be punk, or oi, or psychobilly, etc. Believe me when I say, I WANT to like newer bands but there are so few that do anything for me. When the Slumlords came out it was like a breath of fresh air. They got me excited and desperate to hear more. Most bands don't do that for me. I find a lot of bands fit into the metal category, or they try to relive the youth crew posi shit fron 1988. I'm not a fan of most of the youth crew bands, but if I want to listen to one I'll listen to an older band instead of a new band trying to sound like YOT or Gorilla Biscuits. When it comes to the metal bands, a lot of bands call themselves hardcore, but to me they often look like a hardcore band, have hardcore-styled lyrics, but sound like a metal band with breakdowns instead of guitar solos. I like metal, but I prefer to keep my metal and hardcore seperate.

I also take issue with a lot of new bands who feel the need to release 25 versions of the same fucking 7" for all of the suckers out there, sorry "collectors." Bands seem to care more about having 15 different colours of vinyl and 50 different shirts available than actually taking the time to come up with their own style and writing some good songs.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 10:52 PM

Joel, I agree with pretty much everything you said and I know I've been very guilty of just brushing bands aside after hearing the first riff of one song. However, as Discipline said, there's a whole lot of bands doing the metal sound which I couldn't give a shit about, and then there's tons of 'em just trying to relive '88 youth crew or some other musical trend that died out years ago. I don't care at all about jumping on board with a bad clone of some style I basically never listen to the original versions of anyway. AT the same time, yeah there's definitely some older styles that I would love to hear a good take on or a fresh look at, but I'd also really like to hear someone with an original idea. That's what got me interested in Fucked Up, to my ear they have almost a direct line of evolution from Poison Idea, but they throw in some stuff that I would hate from just about anyone else and they make it work brilliantly.

I try to be a positive influence on the musical taste and growth for the younger kids, I really do. I'm pretty much THE old Punk/HC/whatever guy in this town with a pretty decent, if small, group of early twenty somethings that I hang with and take to shows when I travel and such. I did a radio show here and have done guest spots on other radio shows because I fucking LOVE turning people onto good shit. I'm also a stubborn assed music nazi who will be the first to tell anyone what I think of their music, but I'll also go the extra step and tell them WHY it sucks and what would be an improvement. Some of these twenty something kids start bands and I give them feedback and support their endeavors, hell I've even tried getting a thing or two going here myself and just might get back on that again.

I don't think that I'll ever completely let go of that love for HC that is in my heart, but that's actually WHY I say things like "Hard Core's dead". It kills me to see MTV metal bullshit as the main face of this music. It tears me up when I revert to an old habit and actually go try to talk to some kid I've never seen before who shows up wearing the shirt for some great band only to have the kid give me a blank look when I start actually talking about music.

Veritas odium parit
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 10:54 PM

LOL I hate the 7" collection shit. Buy an album because you love listening to it, not because you want to collect every pressing of it.

I dig Blacklisted, Strength for a Reason, Reign Supreme, Ensign, 100 Demons, some Comeback Kid and a bunch of other bands on this which is why I'll get it when I can afford to. BNB will be first though.

As for being well distanced from good shows, Adelaide hasn't had anything decent since Blacklisted 8 months ago.

Propagandhi is coming in February though, hope it ain't sold out.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 01:49 AM

I hear you guys about new bands. I don't like most new shit either. It's definitely harder to find new bands you'll like after spending so long in the scene. I guess you just gotta keep digging.

I'd like to add something about the 7" thing. Here's the reason why bands do it...kids don't buy CD's. So you're out on tour and you need to make enough money for the next 8 hour drive, and gas is $3.60 a gallon like it was this summer, are you gonna offer kids a CD they won't buy? Or will you put something on your merch table that there's actually a demand for? Kids want all those colored limited 7"s. So bands deliver what the kids want and the band makes the money they need.
I personally hate all vinyl...if it can't go on my ipod then I don't want it. But the next thing my band releases will hopefully make it to vinyl because kids will buy it and maybe my band will make a little of the money back we spent on recording.

Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 05:02 AM

I like shirts, I need more that aren't black, grey or navy blue.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
The only way I'd get this dvd is if some random person handed me a free copy. Then I'd likely sell it on ebay or give it to a homeless person.

damn Canada must be nice if the homeless have DVD players!:singing:
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
Quote:
$8 is a great price.

You old fogies need to crank up the hearing aids and break out the walkin sticks.

of course I know of WIC.
Love em
christ theyre from PA for crying out loud.
I didn't notice them being on the list.
the print is small and i can't afford glasses
my fault entirely
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 02:00 PM

They're really is alot of good stuff out there these days.
It's just that you have to sift through endless garbage to get to the gems.
every so often i find a good stand out.
usually its from a heads up i get on here.
I dont get to shows much, and when I do it's usually for an older band.
I'm pretty old at 34 by Hardcore standards, work 1 and a half jobs have a kid and don't have much time to go to the church for every gig that comes thru Philly after I use up all my time ont he other stuff.
I wish I could, but in many ways, I am totally guilty of being jaded towards most stuff anymore.
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
$8 is a great price.

of course I know of WIC.
Love em
christ theyre from PA for crying out loud.
I didn't notice them being on the list.
the print is small and i can't afford glasses
my fault entirely

just bustin balls :singing:
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 06:25 PM

Haha, you do have to sift through alot of the cookie monster shit... which is pretty generic on the whole. The other thing is, with so many songs about being stabbed in the back you get the impression that these cats either don't how to pick friends, or they don't know how to let go of the incident that caused 'em to write that first song.

Damn, I'm not even interested in music generally these days. I rarely spin a cd or crank up my iTunes. Though I did buy an old Chieftans record yesterday on vinyl and the Madness album with "Our House" on vinyl yesterday at Goodwill. 2 bucks each.

Where I leave hardcore behind has nothing to do with the music, because I can honestly get into the crossover sit that passes for hardcore these days... it's the friends and family bullshit that's insincere half the time. All that crap, all the politics and cooler than thou shit. I never really fit in with most of these motherfuckers when I was into hardcore "full time" I sure as hell don't fit in with 'em now. Damn, I don't fit in with anybody, no matter what scene or community I look into where I have an interest. Don't fit in with hardcore kids, don't fit in with straight edge kids, don't fit in with vegan kids, don't even really fit in with Muslims because of the previously three mentioned things. Plus, I always gravitate towards the thing in any subculture or what have you that sets you apart from the rest of the subculture. Get into punk rock and hardcore, become straight edge, then vegan... then gravitate towards Hardline. Gravitate towards Islam which involved the ire of alot of old Hardliners... and of course, you know... the rest of the world too. Within Islam I gravitate towards Shi'ite Islam which is by far the minority in the entire Muslim world population. And even within Shi'ism I gravitate towards stuff that sets me apart from others and even makes you an outcast within that realm.

Kinda weird when you're an outsider amongts outsiders, you know what I mean?

hardtone

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 06:45 PM

I hear both sides and the points made. We played that fest, and had a great time. Joe is my boy, and takes care of Hard Response, and other old school bands like MP & Ensign...

A word to you old guys, NOT ALL CURRENT HARDCORE SUCKS. Our new shit is out and we cover Sheer Terror to boot.

This Is Hardcore tries to bring a wider spectrum of hardcore; I like what this fest stands for. Bands like us would never have a chance to play the BNB Bowel, but TIH was with in our grasp…

barc0debaby
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-11-2009 at 12:07 PM

In my opinion, Hard Response is one of the best hardcore bands around right now.

Confront is bad ass too for those looking for newer bands that shred.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-11-2009 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, Hard Response is one of the best hardcore bands around right now.

I agree with this one thousand %
they are also one of those bands that actually continues to get even better with time too.

Go To Top