Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: So my friend had to get surgery!
ManMadePsycho

Mood: TERROR

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 02:13 AM
So my friend had to get surgery!

Todd

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 11:24 AM

My guess is some sort of surgery on the small intestine. Most likely not appendix or gall bladder based on the location of the incision. May also be spinal surgery because they sometimes go in from the front. Surgery is fun. A quote we learned in school: :"Surgery is a miracle and Surgeons are gods that walk the earth." Yeah, a little heavy on the ego...until you've seen a surgeon in action or had your life saved by one!
moforn

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 12:14 PM

or a repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm, but unless your friend is 55+ that"s unlikely. I'd agree with the bowel guess- resection, lysis of adhesions, something like that.
Hey- this is fun, everyone should post pics of scars, open sore and the like and we can make an online game of guessing what they are.
Seriously though, your friend alright? if your posting pics I assume all's well.
Todd

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 12:57 PM

Nice work moforn, what do you do for a living?
moforn

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 01:05 PM

Thanks, I'm a registered nurse (hence the screen name, but I guess it doesn't really jump out unless you know what's it's supposed to be referring to in the first place), I work on a vascular surgery unit which is why the AAA repair was my first guess. I gather you're in med school with an eye towards surgery, how are you liking it? Any idea what type of surgery you'll end up focusing on?
Todd

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 01:22 PM

I'm actually a PA. I graduated a few years ago but went to work for a family business tha needed some help and I'm juststarting to study for my boards. I dig trauma surgery but I'm going into emergency medicine because the hours are a little bit better and the thrill factor is higher. I went to a PA program with a surgical focus so I've spent a lot of time in the operating room. I'll never rule out working as a sugical PA but emergency medicine is my first love. The RN at the end of mofo finally hit me! A little slow... Are you from Halifax Nova Scotia (hfx)? I can't wait to start working. Do you work in the OR or pre and post op? I don't have the nerves or hands for vascular.
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 01:37 PM

my scar makes my stomach look like it's got a crooked smile. Im not sure I can really take a good picture of it though. It goes a little too southward.

moforn

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
I'm actually a PA. I graduated a few years ago but went to work for a family business tha needed some help and I'm juststarting to study for my boards. I dig trauma surgery but I'm going into emergency medicine because the hours are a little bit better and the thrill factor is higher. I went to a PA program with a surgical focus so I've spent a lot of time in the operating room. I'll never rule out working as a sugical PA but emergency medicine is my first love. The RN at the end of mofo finally hit me! A little slow... Are you from Halifax Nova Scotia (hfx)? I can't wait to start working. Do you work in the OR or pre and post op? I don't have the nerves or hands for vascular.

Emergency med would be cool, definately something to be said for the better hours/conditions, I'm not familiar with medicine residencies but the Sx residents I work with put in crazy hours, good luck with your studies. I work pre/post-op vascular and in the intermediate care unit (I don't know if all hospitals have these units, it's a step down from the icu but still has cardiac monitoring, arterial lines and things like that) I had thought that I'd like to work intra-op as I've seen a couple surgeries and found them interesting, but I think by the time I saw my 100th lap chole some of the thrill might be wearing off, also the duties of the or nurse essentially boil down to handing tools to the surgeon-necessary I guess but not particularly stimulating, on the other hand having the chance to see neuro, trauma and different types of plastics first hand would be extremely interesting, maybe someday. Yeah, the hfx is for halifax N.S., where are you planning on going to school?
ManMadePsycho

Mood: TERROR

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 06:03 PM

lol...well he had to get like 6 feet of intestine removed or somthin of that matter..i dont wanna go into technical shit...cause ill just get lost with ya guys..

Go To Top