Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: are you watching the inauguration?
MarkV

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 05:35 PM

I'm sure we'll see Sharpton camped out in from the White House sooner than later.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 06:23 PM

Like it or not, reparations should be awarded. That was part of the deal, and it was never followed through on.

Also, something should be done to rectify the situation of violating treaties with Native Americans. Give the Souix North and South Dakota and half of Wyoming in accordance with the Treaty of Ft Laramie, I say.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 06:27 PM

oh boy, you're gonna get it now, dave!

(btw, what deal were reparations part of?)

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 06:31 PM

40 acres and a mule BD! Part of the emancipation.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 06:37 PM

I don't think the taxpayers of today should be forced to pay for the injustices of the past.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
MarkV

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
I don't think the taxpayers of today should be forced to pay for the injustices of the past.

I agree with that. But, if someone really wants the Dakota's and Wyoming, I'd say go ahead and take it.
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline

Aren't you Canadian? How about we give them Saskatchewan and you guys don't complain? :smilegrin:

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 07:24 PM

We're keeping Saskatchewan, but they can have Nunavut.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 07:26 PM

Deal!!!

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
Like it or not, reparations should be awarded. That was part of the deal, and it was never followed through on.

Also, something should be done to rectify the situation of violating treaties with Native Americans. Give the Souix North and South Dakota and half of Wyoming in accordance with the Treaty of Ft Laramie, I say.

Yer outta yer mind bro. I would not pay a fuckin cent for something I had nothing to do with. I DON"T GIVE A FUCK
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 09:02 PM

Whatever dude. As a society we've benefitted from the enslavement of black people... and in terms of proportionality... they've not reaped the benefit that white society has.

Justice is blind. Reparations would be justice.

MarkV

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Whatever dude. As a society we've benefitted from the enslavement of black people... and in terms of proportionality... they've not reaped the benefit that white society has.

It's not really justice when asking descendants of "criminals" to give something up for the descendants of the victims.
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 1-23-2009 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
Quote:

It's not really justice when asking descendants of "criminals" to give something up for the descendants of the victims.

My point exactly. I am not paying for someone elses mistakes. bottom line. If you feel so strongly about it, call your congressman then head out to the street and start with your own paycheck......what ?can't afford it? Neither can I.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-23-2009 at 01:06 PM

It's the society that benefitted from the situation. Society bears a certain responsibility. Particularly when the government promised compensation and never delivered. Same deal with the breaking of treaties with the Indian tribes. It's unjust that the descendents of the usurpers of lands that were supposed to be part of reservations by legally binding treaty continue to benefit from possession of those lands while the tribes currently living on the small fraction of the agreed upon reservation lands are harmed by the situation.

BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-23-2009 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
It's the society that benefitted from the situation. Society bears a certain responsibility. Particularly when the government promised compensation and never delivered. Same deal with the breaking of treaties with the Indian tribes. It's unjust that the descendents of the usurpers of lands that were supposed to be part of reservations by legally binding treaty continue to benefit from possession of those lands while the tribes currently living on the small fraction of the agreed upon reservation lands are harmed by the situation.

Business is business and that is what all that was. Lots of unjust things go on in the business world and people lose their lively hood and it is not fair. None the less people move on pick up the pieces and star over. Things were ruthless back then and times have indeed changed. There are enough problems facing the world today that we need not drag up old injustices from the past. I make no apology what so ever for what my ancestors might have done, it was not me that did it and it was not you that it was done to. Get over it, move on and focus on the future.

MM.
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 1-23-2009 at 07:30 PM

People seriously need to stop focusing on "what is owed them" based on something that happend before they were even thought of and focus on making things better for the next generation. My dad imparted some of the wisest and most simple words to me " A mans purpose in life is to make things better for those who depend on him, than they were for him growing up." If people are looking for hand outs, keep the fuck away from me. I don't apologize for that and like MM said, i don't apologize for something I had nothing to do with and really don't feel I benefited from. I grew up lower middle class in New England, poor and cold.
MarkV

[*] posted on 1-23-2009 at 08:35 PM

Dave- I see what you're saying, and agree to some extent, but I agree with MM and Voodoo. While we as a society have benefitted, it ain't my beef. Pretty much all of us have had ancestors who've been screwed. (Italians, Jews, Irish, Asians, Hispanic, etc).
Too many people make excuses for why shit is the way it is, and not enough people do anything about it.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-24-2009 at 05:56 AM

Well, I personally don't see the point of monetary reparations to individuals. But our government and society would be best served by focusing attention on downtrodden communities and working to uplift them in cooperation with local groups. It's damn foolish to leave shit the way it is and consider ourselves and just society. Black and latino communities are afflicted with shit schools and don't get any funding. Education should be the first fucking thing on our minds there. Giving people the tools to help themselves is crucial. The only time white people are interested in improving living conditions in neighborhoods of broke people is when we are interested in taking the shit over and pushing people out. N Portland is a perfect example. Same with the Lower East Side in NYC, buncha trendy fucks come in and build it up and leave the poor people up shit creek without a paddle.

Also, "business is business" is a bullshit mentality and fuck alla that. Labor unions came into existence because folks were pissed over the shit working conditions they had and alot of shit we take for granted NOW came into being because of labor unions. 40 hour work weeks is one of those many things we take for granted. Same with child labor and exploitative work conditions. "Business is business" is what allows people to be abused, and we can't turn a blind eye to that. Shit, most of what you guys are saying about slavery and reparations for it has alot to do with the white American tendancy to just turn a blind eye to that and forget about it, like what we have today isn't connected with all that shit. Americans have a profound disconnection with their history and how it effects their present and their future.

Shit, the government hasn't even issued a formal apology for allowing that institution to thrive for so long. Not even an apology. That's pretty fucked up. And now it's like "hey, we got a black president... everything is okay." Meanwhile, a young black kid gets hog-tied by a transit cop in Oakland and shot in the back. Everything ain't okay.

Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 1-24-2009 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Well, I personally don't see the point of monetary reparations to individuals. But our government and society would be best served by focusing attention on downtrodden communities and working to uplift them in cooperation with local groups. It's damn foolish to leave shit the way it is and consider ourselves and just society. Black and latino communities are afflicted with shit schools and don't get any funding. Education should be the first fucking thing on our minds there. Giving people the tools to help themselves is crucial. .

I agree with you 100% on this and have no problem with my tax dollars going to education programs. But like I said before, I grew up white and poor along with alot of other white poor kids and we all had a shitty school. Waaaaaaaaaaah I got on with life and it didn't involve my past being used as a crutch or excuse to sling crack or commit crimes to try and "get by" That shit has got to go just as much as what you said about rich whity's mentality to it all. No story is one sided in fault and faulter.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 1-24-2009 at 03:01 PM

There is not one person on this earth whose ancestors did not commit some sort of atrocity or injustice against someone. We won, they lost. Tough shit. I'm sick of hearing about it. You won't find any white guilt over here.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 1-24-2009 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum
There is not one person on this earth whose ancestors did not commit some sort of atrocity or injustice against someone. We won, they lost. Tough shit. I'm sick of hearing about it. You won't find any white guilt over here.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-24-2009 at 04:18 PM

I find that mentality reprehensible. It's also a mentality that allows shit like that to continue in this world.

I'll have none of it.

Also, don't misconstrue my sentiments as giving people an excuse to just give up on themselves or look for a free ride. Not at all what I'm saying. I'm not saying "hey man, your school sucks and you've been given a raw deal... just give it up and demand a hand-out." Nor am I making excuses for people's criminal or morally debased behavior when I say that these conditions we've handed down from slavery onto Jim Crow and into the institutional racism we see even today have created the environment into which people lose their moral compass. That's the legacy, doesn't mean I think folks have an excuse. Shit, that would mean I could make all sortsa excuses for myself to start doing shit that I know is wrong or believe is wrong.

I'm just saying, we gotta own up to our end of the deal if we are going to expect folks to own up to their's. It's the most eloquent, intelligent, accomplished, and usually righteous people in the black community that even talk about issues of institutional racism and the need for reparations in some form, and most of them would also point out the folly in reparations in the form of monetary hand-outs. The likely results of which we see bluntly satirized on the Dave Chappelle Show.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top