Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Shep Fairey arrested on the way to the opening of his new art exhibit...
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 11:37 PM
Shep Fairey arrested on the way to the opening of his new art exhibit...

BOSTON — A street artist famous for his red, white and blue "Hope" posters of President Obama has been arrested on warrants accusing him of tagging property with graffiti, police said Saturday.

Shepard Fairey was arrested Friday night on his way to the Institute of Contemporary Art for a kickoff event for his first solo exhibition, called "Supply and Demand."

Two warrants were issued for Fairey on Jan. 24 after police determined he'd tagged property in two locations with graffiti based on the Andre the Giant street art campaign from his early career, Officer James Kenneally said. One of the locations was the railroad trestle by the landmark Boston University bridge over the Charles River, police said.

Fairey, 38, of Los Angeles, is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Brighton District Court, said Jake Wark, a spokesman for the Suffolk District Attorney. Wark said Fairey would also be arraigned on a default warrant related to a separate graffiti case in the Roxbury section of Boston.

Fairey has spent the last two weeks in the Boston area installing the ICA exhibit and creating outdoor art, including a 20-by-50 foot banner on the side of City Hall, according to a statement issued Saturday by the museum.

The museum said Fairey was released a few hours after his arrest. Boston police confirmed Fairey had been released, but did not know exactly when or the amount of his bail.

A man who answered the phone at Fairey's Los Angeles studio, Studio One, declined comment.

"Shepard Fairey was completely unaware that there were any warrants for his arrest. Had he known, he would have resolved all such issues before the opening of his art exhibit at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston," his attorney, Jeffrey Wiesner, said in an e-mail.

Fairey has been arrested numerous times for drawing on buildings and other private property without permission.

His Obama image has been sold on hundreds of thousands of stickers and posters, and was unveiled at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington before Obama's inauguration.

The image is the subject of a copyright dispute with The Associated Press. Fairey argues his use of the AP photo is protected by "fair use," which allows exceptions to copyright laws based on, among other factors, how much of the original is used, what the new work is used for and how the original is affected by the new work.

A California lawyer who has represented Fairey in the copyright case didn't immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment on the arrest.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/07/shepard-fairey-arre...

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 11:08 AM

graffitii is graffitti, dosen't matter if your good at it or have something to say or what. You are defacing someone elses property plain and simple. Fuck this hippy
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
graffitii is graffitti, dosen't matter if your good at it or have something to say or what. You are defacing someone elses property plain and simple. Fuck this hippy

it is kind of funny that he was doing a mural at the state house the day before he was arrested though.

I guess being from Rhode Island and remembering all the original 'Andre the Giant has a Possee' stuff I have a soft spot for Shep.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 11:12 AM

He will get a slap on the wrist for this. He is a big time artist now and recognized and respected by powerful people. I still don't agree with the graff though.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 12:00 PM

those Andre heads are EVERYWHERE!
MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 09:40 PM

Is this the OBEY guy?

morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 09:51 PM

Yeah thats the OBEY guy.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 12:45 AM

If someone is sympathetic to this dude its crazy. Don't get me wrong the shit he does looks cool, and it is pretty fucking hardcore to do it, but he is defacing property and it is illegal.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 01:14 AM

Any architecture that is bland deserve some good art weather it be illegal or not. People don't want to see graffiti? Well I don't want to see depressing ass gray slabs everywhere.
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
Any architecture that is bland deserve some good art weather it be illegal or not. People don't want to see graffiti? Well I don't want to see depressing ass gray slabs everywhere.

Pretty much my thoughts. Besides like Voodoo said he'll just get a slap on the wrist.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 09:03 AM

the slap on the wrists is enevitable just like he was finally arrested. You know some captain or officer was sitting around watching him on tv thinking he should get arrested. So they went looking for him again. As for the drab grey property. If I owned it I would be pissed someone is getting popular defacing it. Sure it is a message that I may somewhat agree with is irrelevant. Its still graffiti.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 09:37 AM

Quote:

If you don't like the look of it, do it legally. Buy it and change it. I wouldn't come to your house and put what I think is art on it. Don't do it to mine.
MarkV

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 03:39 PM

These warrants are pretty old from what I understand. It's typical Boston grandstanding bullshit. This guy is pretty much world famous and easy as hell to find and to serve with warrants. They waited to arrest him until he was on his way to the opening.
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 06:27 PM

Pretty pathetic how the "law" has handled this.

They think that because they nagged a famous graffiti artist that it will deter others because if he can get caught, anyone can. It's almost the same thing the cops did with Tommy Chong, though he got more than a slap on the wrists.

barc0debaby
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:

If you don't like the look of it, do it legally. Buy it and change it. I wouldn't come to your house and put what I think is art on it. Don't do it to mine.

If you are a skilled artist by all means please come to my house and put some art on it. :spin:
MarkV

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com

They think that because they nagged a famous graffiti artist that it will deter others because if he can get caught, anyone can. It's almost the same thing the cops did with Tommy Chong, though he got more than a slap on the wrists.

I agree. The fact is, Shepards had other shows in Boston before. The dude makes public appearances all the time. He's not like that Banksy dude who's totally on the DL. Granted, there's some speculation that his people let BPD know where he'd be for publicity sake, but, this is very typical of the city of Boston.
If you're not familiar with it, look up the glowing mooninite sign bullshit a couple of years back.
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com

If you're not familiar with it, look up the glowing mooninite sign bullshit a couple of years back.

Yeah that shit was fucking absurd.

MarkV

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 07:10 PM

Those things were in NYC, Philly, LA, Chicago, etc with NO problems. They'd also been up in Boston for well over a week when shit hit the fan. Absolutely retarded.

What you probably didn't hear about was about 2 weeks later the city destroyed one of those boxes they use to track traffic... you know what I'm talking about? Someone was doing research on a particular area, they chained the box to a pole, typical operating procedure and went about their business. Someone called in a suspicious box, and the city, rather than figured out what agency had authorized the box, blew it up.
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 07:49 PM

Sometimes it feels like I live under a rock. I'd never heard of this Shep Fairey dude before this thread.
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
Those things were in NYC, Philly, LA, Chicago, etc with NO problems. They'd also been up in Boston for well over a week when shit hit the fan. Absolutely retarded.

What you probably didn't hear about was about 2 weeks later the city destroyed one of those boxes they use to track traffic... you know what I'm talking about? Someone was doing research on a particular area, they chained the box to a pole, typical operating procedure and went about their business. Someone called in a suspicious box, and the city, rather than figured out what agency had authorized the box, blew it up.

Commonwealth, I live in one too. It's.......different
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 12:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you are a skilled artist by all means please come to my house and put some art on it. :spin:

I can spray fart real well bro, let me know where your at and I will start on the chili beans:tumble:
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 02:26 PM

Just make sure to eat plenty of confetti, I want it colorful!
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 03:27 PM

Now the feds are doing the same shit by going after 8 people that were at the party with Michael Phelps.

Its amazing, we are in a recession but the govt has no problem wasting millions of dollars on stupid shit like this.

barc0debaby
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 06:05 PM

Phelps should have taken that opportunity to show that you can some some weed and still be a 14 time Olympic gold medalist. Plus no self respecting athlete should ever give their image to Kellogg's, with its sugary bullshit cereal.

When I think nutrition I look to these guys.....

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 07:50 PM

It was all for publicity. I ate fruit loops this morning with my son. We both enjoyed them. We will make a thing of the sugary cereal. TUCAN SAM!

Go To Top