Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Apple/Mac owners...
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 2-22-2009 at 10:02 PM
Apple/Mac owners...

I think I'm going to get a Macbook with my tax return money. I'm strongly leaning towards the 15.4" Macbook pro laptop. Its $1999 in the Applestore, but I can get a refurb on the Apple site for $1699.

I want to get a regular keyboard and mouse (maybe wireless) for it, a 2nd charger plug and an adapter so I can plug it into my dell monitor and us it as a desktop too.

Any suggestions on where to look/go for the best prices on stuff?

Any suggestion on Apple stuff at all? I've always had Windows machines so this will be my first time!

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-22-2009 at 11:00 PM

great idea.

couple of thoughts:

1. unless you plan on doing some seriously processor-intensive work on your laptop (video editing, 3d rendering), i'd highly recommend getting the regular macbook. aside from the screen size, there is not much difference between the machine you're looking at the the high-end macbook...except $400.

2. if you use it as a desktop and run a video cable to your existing monitor, there are a few things to consider...
- the video card supports mirroring (where the external displays the same image as the laptop), but also desktop extension, which means if you hook up the dell monitor, you can spread your work out across both. for example, have email and IM up on your laptop window, then browsers and MS Word in the dell display.
- technically you can, but you really shouldn't run the laptop with the lid closed
- the new macbooks and macbookpros have a video out port called Mini DisplayPort, which is a brand new technology. there may not be an adapter yet, so look into that.

3. wireless is nice, but unless you're far from the actual box, i'd recommend a wired keyboard/mouse (if you even really need them).

4. when you buy from apple, configure the machine with as little RAM as possible. in other words, if you pick a machine w/ 2gb ram, but that can take up to 4gb, don't buy the extra 2gb from apple. you can get it cheaper elsewhere (See below) and it's easy to install.

macsales.com is one of the oldest and most reputable online mac retailers. great place to buy upgrades - ram, drives, batteries, whatever.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

Mood: Quite nice actually.

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 07:21 AM

Buy the applecare warrenty as well.

There is a company called Griffen or Giffin who make mac products like adapters, cases and other cool stuff.

I have a keyboard and mouse that I use at work along with a laptop riser to keep my neck from getting too sore. Not really that much hardware I suggest but there is lot's of great software.

What kind of work will you be doing with it?
jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

Mood: Quite nice actually.

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 07:22 AM

I also agree with Dwayne that the Macbookpro may be more than you need. I have a regular macbook and it's just fine for the little bit of design I do at work and has protools installed as well.

I also have a PowerPC G5 with 5 gigs of ram in it at home but since i'm not really recording much music anymore it's like driving a ferrari to the grocery store...kinda pointless.
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 08:33 AM

jesus, for that much $$ you could get a PC that would blow a Mac out of the water...
but im a pc whore, and think mac's are over rated, for how much they cost.

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 10:29 AM

is the extended waranty really worth it? I know it comes with 1 year, but should I spend a couple hundred dollars on an extension?

Why shouldnt you run a laptop with the lid closed?

Using an external monitor is even more important if I go with the 13" insted of the 15" laptop. The salesman showed me the adapter that is the mini like BD said so it does exist.

Im going to be using it primarily for webstuff, photoshop stuff, pictures, I would like to mess around with garage band and maybe record some simple stuff, maybe at some point do video but nothing super intensive.

The reason I was leaning towards the Macbook pro is because I'm afraid to spend $1200 and have it not be good enough in a couple of years vs spending $1700 and having it for a longer time.

I also think that the Macbook pro has a light up keyboard which I think the regular Macbook doesnt have, is that correct?

any more input?

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 11:25 AM

- personally, i almost always buy the extended warranty with laptops, especially if it's the first generation of a particular model. my 5y/o PowerBook (which i still use daily) had to be sent back twice for display issues in the first two years. covered both times. my other three mac laptops (ibook, 2 macbook pros) have all been fine. but for me, it's a business expense.

- in most laptops, the primary point of heat dissemination is through the keyboard. you can set it up to run with the lid closed, but you may damage the display.

- i had heard that the adapter was coming, but didn't know it was out yet. what is it, mini display port to DVI for like $30?

- the high end macbook comes with the illuminated display. but unless you tend to type in complete darkness, i'd be surprised if you use it - no one i know ever does.

- for the type of work you're talking about, the macbook will be fine.

- i hear your concern about future-proofing your machine, but the specs that would drive either computer towards obsoletion are actually the same. identical:

the macbookpro and the high-end macbook come with the same 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo processor, both have 1066 MHz bus speed and 3MB L2 cache. they both also ship with 250gb hard drive and 2gb of RAM (and both support a max of 4gb of RAM).

the differences between them include: the screen size; MBP comes with 1 firewire port, MB only comes with UBS; the MBP comes with dedicated video RAM, as opposed to shared on the MB.

this is a conversation i have all the time. and almost every time i do, the person really doesn't need the mbp. it's not meant to belittle a computer user's needs; it's meant to help a friend save some cash! these machines are all very powerful. but the days of apple offering widely different specs between machines are over. even the top of the line mbp isn't that much different (except the 17" screen) - 2.4 vs 2.66ghz is imperceivable (is that a word?) to the average user.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html
http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_a_MacBook_versus_MacBook_...

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
MarkV

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 12:56 PM

Honus- get the apple care. Well worth it. Macs are not like PCs where just about anyone can fix them. Spend the extra hundred.

I'd also NEVER go back to a PC after getting a back in late 05. This is the longest I've had a laptop and have had relatively few problems, considering its age.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 01:01 PM

For what its worth I will be buying a MAC when I can. Never heard a negative about them and I was in the MAC store a month ago and had a salesperson explain everything they could to me. I am sold.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 01:11 PM

plus, clevo, if you do have a question about your mac, see above for the quality of the response you can expect from me!
you ask about pcs and all you hear from me is 'cricket. cricket.'

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 01:36 PM

ok... but isnt the macbook pro almost the same price as the highend macbook?

I know that the differnece in price from baseline macbook 13" to lowend macbook pro 15" is big, but whats the difference when you start talking about a highend macbook 13"?

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 02:12 PM

2.4 ghz MacBook - $1599
2.4 ghz MacBook Pro - $1999
plus, the extended warranty is $100 cheaper for the MacBook

don't let me talk you into it, now.
if what you want is the 15" MBP, then by all means.
i just want to make sure you're well educated on the topic before you make your devision.
you're talking about a $400-$500 premium for an additional 2" of screen real estate and a FW port.
honestly, if i didn't need the FW port, i wouldn't have bout the MBP.

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 02:25 PM

Theres a refurb 15" Macbook pro for $1699, but I never looked into the highend Macbook 13" so I'll have to see what I can get for a refurb on that.

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 05:04 PM

Here's what my suggestions would be...first consider ordering it from Amazon. There's no tax or shipping cost...and you will get the same one year warranty that you would buying it at the Apple store.

For the Applecare extended warranty, buy from eBay. WAY cheaper. For my Macbook Pro I paid $178 for my Applecare warranty...as opposed to the $349 that Apple sells it for.

Also, I second BD's macsales.com reference. He turned me onto that place last year. I got 4gb of RAM for my computer for $99.

AND...if you plan on taking this thing on tour, get a case for it. I have a hard case from speckproducts.com

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 05:24 PM

great suggestions, juice.
amazon and ebay, both.
i hadn't even thought of that for the warranty.

this is the case thorp and i both have:
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0300

it's expensive, but DOPE. it's not much bigger than a sleeve, so i just slide it into my messenger bag whenever i go out. the beauty of it is that the computer actually sits in a hammock inside of the hard shell, so it is suspended from the bottom of the case. check the egg drop test: http://www.tombihn.com/eggdrop/eggdrop.html

JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 08:28 PM

mine is a hard case that actually snaps onto the computer...that way if it slides off my leg in the van it won't be dented or anything.

random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 08:33 PM

And if you decide to buy it new from Apple, get someone you know in college to buy it for you to get the "academic discount" which is usually about $100. Not much on a $1000+ purchase, but it's something (and you can consider it money towards the extended warranty, which I seriously recommend).

Only problem I've heard of with Macbooks - and which I've encountered personally - is that they have used a shitty hard drive on a lot of them which have a tendency to crash. Get the extended warranty and an external hard drive, back up regularly, and you'll be good to go.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
EJD

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 09:18 PM

Definitely get Applecare.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 10:06 AM

Ok... I just ordered my laptop. I got a good deal, but went against most of the suggestions from you guys (which I TOTALLY appreciate!!!).

I got the 15" Macbook Pro because I got a good deal. It was $1600 with free shipping & I had it shipped to a New Hampshire address so I didnt have to pay sales tax either. I paid $18 for faster shipping to be sure it gets there this week so I can get it next weekend.

I also got a case for it (neoprene sleeve) from my friends as a birthday present so theres another $30 I didnt have to spend.

I want to find out about the Applecare now. Juice suggested getting it on eBay, but how do I go about that?

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 10:16 AM

Also the case that Juicy has from Speck. They have a 'Hardshell' and a 'Softtouch Hardshell' whats the positives or negatives of each of those?

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 10:25 AM

i'm glad you didn't go with the 13" those things are so damn small. i need to get one soon, i have an awesome iMac but I need something portable for when we write to garageband it.

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 10:29 AM

You have time with the Applecare warranty. You can usually buy it up to a year after your initial purchase, since it's still under the regular Apple one-year warranty... and Apple wants to give you a long time to drop the $349 on the extra two years of coverage.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.

Go To Top