[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 01:35 PM
Hey Lucabrasi. . .

How are things going with the new dog?

MM.
Lucabrasi
Posting Freak

Mood: f-minus

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 09:31 PM

A little rough but we're working through it. I didnt want to have to crate her when I left for my overnight shifts but 90% of the time when I got home she had shit/pissed on the rug. Not exactly the thing I want to see when I get home from work. It's just about her adjusting to my schedule and I dont think its that she cant hold it I think she is just frustrated that I'm gone for those 3 nights out of the week. My sister does stop over on the nights I work to let her out and hangout with her for a bit. Last night I crated her when I went to work and she ended up busting out of it (I didnt use both latches, just one) I found her on the couch when I got home with a big pile of shit on the rug. I reinforced the crate and used both latches tonight before I left. I left all the toys she liked in there with her, covered the crate partially and gave her some treats and water. I'll see how things go in the morning. Hopefully she doesnt destroy the crate. Its a wire one too so I would think it should hold up but who knows. Besides all of that she is great when I am home with her. She is a big baby and loves to just lay by me on the couch and rest her head on my lap and sleep. She follows commands pretty well. She sits when I tell and and stays when asked. She isnt destructive to any of my belongings. I can leave things laying around and she doesnt touch them. She is good on walks also, she doesnt pay attention to when other dogs are barking at her. I simply just keep on walking and she follows. She is great with the kids at the homeless shelter and I'm thinking about registering her as a therapy dog. I was told it can take up to 6 weeks for a dog to adjust so I'll just wait it out and keep reinforcing her positive behavior. If you have any tips I'm more then willing to learn. Hope all is well with your dog :)
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-4-2009 at 01:07 PM

Well I am glad to hear you are happy with the dog. Sounds like you are doing everything right dude. Crate training is amazing for a dog. My dog is crate trained and it was the best thing we have ever done. Most dogs will seldom soil their place of rest or what they perceive to be theirs. So that might help you out with the dog using your floor when you are not home. They will eventually view the crate as their spot and a place to relax and be on their own if they want.

Keep up the good work and post some pics when you have a second.

My dog is well although he has a bout of kennel cough right now. More or less the dog version of the flu. I think he picked it up at obedience class.

MM.

Go To Top