Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: what the fuck happened?
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 12:20 PM

drama queens, the lot of ya
xoversux

Mood: DYS SSD

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mickey
Yes Ken did the Slapshot tribute album. The record release show in Southie was awesome..jammed packed. It was cool to see you guys....uh..oh yea, you didn't get to play that one either.

......and don't forget we got ripped off in Haverhill.

There's so many Minor Threat, Black Flag and Bad Brains songs about this kind of stuff. :spin:

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 01:10 PM

Seriously? "You offended some people, so you shouldn't be able to play shows?"

That, I can understand for a white power band. But for Slapshot? Jeez Louise, get a fucking grip.

All of these bands got where they are at some point in time by pissing people off and being pissed off.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 01:36 PM

This is bullshit. A band like the Murphys got where they are today in large part because of Slapshot paving the way. As has been pointed out a few times in this thread already, there are many ways in which Choke or the band have done things which specifically benefitted members of the Murphys and helped them get to the successful position they are in now. I thought it was awesome that they were going to stand behind their claim of being all about their roots and put Slapshot on this show, but it sounds to me as if someone in the band has gotten a bit too warped by their success. Deary me, we wouldn't want to upset some drunken frat boys, now would we?

Veritas odium parit
xoversux

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
This is bullshit. A band like the Murphys got where they are today in large part because of Slapshot paving the way. As has been pointed out a few times in this thread already, there are many ways in which Choke or the band have done things which specifically benefitted members of the Murphys and helped them get to the successful position they are in now. I thought it was awesome that they were going to stand behind their claim of being all about their roots and put Slapshot on this show, but it sounds to me as if someone in the band has gotten a bit too warped by their success. Deary me, we wouldn't want to upset some drunken frat boys, now would we?

Thanks

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 05:25 PM

I agree completely with the Saint on this. I would also like to add that people who get offended by the lyrics to a Slapshot song need to lighten the fuck up. Most of the time it's more funny than anything else, and often very sarcastically said. God forbid somebody has a good time listening to a hardcore record. I think some people get mad because more than anything, Slapshot has pointed out the stupidity and conformity in the hardcore scene, and people get offended because they have to look in the mirror and realize the lyrics could have been written about them specifically. I guess Slapshot aren't "posi" enough for a St. Patricks Day show. Of course, I'd have have a giant fucking smile on my face if I got to finally see Slapshot live. Adding that to a DKM St Paddy's day show and I'd be having the time of my life.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
MarkV

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 06:56 PM

It really has nothing to do with lyrics "offending" the DKM crowd.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
It really has nothing to do with lyrics "offending" the DKM crowd.

yup.. its about whos friends with who and whos harder than who.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
MarkV

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 08:35 PM

I'd say more an effort to avoid physical injury and protect people.
xoversux

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 08:55 PM

Quote:
I'd say more an effort to avoid physical injury and protect people.

That's exactly what it is.

MarkV

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 09:02 PM

So why not say something when people are thinking DKM pulled some kind dick ego move or something?
Mickey

Mood: Wisdom In Chains

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
I agree completely with the Saint on this. I would also like to add that people who get offended by the lyrics to a Slapshot song need to lighten the fuck up. Most of the time it's more funny than anything else, and often very sarcastically said. God forbid somebody has a good time listening to a hardcore record. I think some people get mad because more than anything, Slapshot has pointed out the stupidity and conformity in the hardcore scene, and people get offended because they have to look in the mirror and realize the lyrics could have been written about them specifically. I guess Slapshot aren't "posi" enough for a St. Patricks Day show. Of course, I'd have have a giant fucking smile on my face if I got to finally see Slapshot live. Adding that to a DKM St Paddy's day show and I'd be having the time of my life.

I would agree too if that was the reason for asking them not to play. Slapshot must have wrote some song for Choke to get punched(not beat up) backstage in Europe. That and writing L.O.S.E.R blasting a crew from Boston, your probably gonna catch some shit. It had nothing to do with not offending frat boys and not being posi enough, it had to do with avoiding drama at a show which is in the spotlight in Boston. Instead of blasting DKM for the decision they should be thanked for avoiding what could've ended really badly.

I'm ok with people not liking me
MarkV

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mickey
Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline

I would agree too if that was the reason for asking them not to play. Slapshot must have wrote some song for Choke to get punched(not beat up) backstage in Europe. That and writing L.O.S.E.R blasting a crew from Boston, your probably gonna catch some shit. It had nothing to do with not offending frat boys and not being posi enough, it had to do with avoiding drama at a show which is in the spotlight in Boston. Instead of blasting DKM for the decision they should be thanked for avoiding what could've ended really badly.

Exactly correct. And it's 100 percent the reason they ended up not playing the DKM/BFB southie show in 1999.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 09:45 PM

Alright then, they want to avoid some violence over bullshit, I can understand that, but it would make a lot more sense for them to make an announcement about what the whole beef is and let people know that there are ways in which we can settle differences other than beating each other down or escalating to further bullshit. To let people go around saying that there are some rumors circulating about a band and that because of that it's been decided to just pull the band off the show just makes everybody look bad and leads to conversations like this one.

Veritas odium parit
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 09:48 PM

Ok..... if you guys are both right, than why were they asked to play the show in the first place? If DKM should be thanked for pulling them off to avoid a 'really bad' situation, than what should be said about DKM for asking Slapshot to play and causing a 'really bad' situation in the first place?

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

MarkV

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 10:07 PM

Quote:
Alright then, they want to avoid some violence over bullshit, I can understand that, but it would make a lot more sense for them to make an announcement about what the whole beef is and let people know that there are ways in which we can settle differences other than beating each other down or escalating to further bullshit. To let people go around saying that there are some rumors circulating about a band and that because of that it's been decided to just pull the band off the show just makes everybody look bad and leads to conversations like this one.

Slapshot made that statement, not DKM.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 10:09 PM

Quote:

This is just my opinion, but I think that Slapshot had no choice but to make an anouncement because if they hadnt said anything than it would have looked like they canceled the show at the last minute and beleive it or not, there were some people going to the show mainly to see Slapshot. If no anouncment was made than the situation would have sucked even more for those people. The right thing probably would have been for DKM to make a statement, but as far as I know that didnt/hasnt happened.

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

MarkV

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Ok..... if you guys are both right, than why were they asked to play the show in the first place? If DKM should be thanked for pulling them off to avoid a 'really bad' situation, than what should be said about DKM for asking Slapshot to play and causing a 'really bad' situation in the first place?

Are you being serious right now?
Obviously DKM didn't think there would be any problems when they asked them. And the whole "situation" only arose in the past couple of days.
MarkV

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:

This is just my opinion, but I think that Slapshot had no choice but to make an anouncement because if they hadnt said anything than it would have looked like they canceled the show at the last minute and beleive it or not, there were some people going to the show mainly to see Slapshot. If no anouncment was made than the situation would have sucked even more for those people. The right thing probably would have been for DKM to make a statement, but as far as I know that didnt/hasnt happened.

"Due to circumstances out of our hands, we've had to pull off the DKM show tomorrow. We apologize to anyone who was looking forward to our set."

And, the tickets for that show were sold out before Slapshot were even added (replacing the CroMags), so it's not like there would have been that many people who were going specifically to see Slapshot.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 10:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:

What I'm saying is that the Murphys SHOULD have made an announcement, not that they said something else.

Veritas odium parit
MarkV

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 10:39 PM

I'm guessing part of it is them not wanting to get involved or perpetuating rumors.

Also, as I understand it, it basically went down in the past couple of days, which left the band w/ having to find another support act in 24 hours, while playing 2 sold out shows, dealing hundreds of guests per show, dealing with the support bands on the other shows, etc. There's not a lot of downtime for the band or crew during the week.
I don't not agree with you, but I can see the reasons for it not happening.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 10:47 PM

I'm sure they're busy with this, but if they're willing to step in and remove bands at the last minute they ought to be willing to take the five minutes to post an explanation on their site or a bulletin through myspace or something along those lines. Otherwise they're just creating more drama.

Veritas odium parit
MarkV

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 11:02 PM

Again, not saying I don't agree with you, or see your point. But, the reality is, there's probably less than 10 percent of the ticket holders who know who the support bands are. There was probably only a handful of people who were REALLY effected by this (as I said earlier, the show was sold out long before Slapshot were put on the show). I mean, I don't even think they got to make an announcement about Reach the Sky taking Slapshot's place, which is probably a bigger deal than Slapshot not being able to play.
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 11:27 PM

So, could someone let me know if I have pieced together the vague and not-so-vague comments here...

Some guys in their mid-30s are pissed at some guys in their mid-40s over some shit in a song and are willing to cause a large show to be shut down because their panties are in a bunch and they want to start a bunch of fights over the lyrics to a song that nobody has ever heard.

And please dear fucking god-I-don't-believe-in, tell me it's not over these lyrics like mentioned above. Did they change for the 2001 version and call out what I'm guessing is the crew in question? So this is over some shit from 8-14 years ago? Seriously??? Please tell me I'm missing something.

=====================

15 years and this is all you've got
You didn't listen to a word we said
All your talk is bullshit it's obvious to me
I look around and see our scene is dead
I'm not on some nostalgia trip
The old school means shit to me
Don't try to compare what you've got now
To anything I live
1995 there's nothing new
It's been the same since 1982
Stage diving everywhere I turn
I've been screaming 13 years I'll never learn
Nothing like we've had before
You worship assholes from New York
Little crews with smaller minds
Why should I waste my time
I don't want it you can have it!
I got a new name for you it's L.O.S.E.R.
I don't want it you can have it!
I got a new name for you it's L.O.S.E.R.
I'm not on some nostalgia trip
The old school means shit to me
Little crews with smaller minds
Why should I waste my time

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
MarkV

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 11:42 PM

You're on the right track but missing a few details, haha.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top