Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: what the fuck happened?
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
You're on the right track but missing a few details, haha.

Unless those few details involve Choke, Elgin James, and anal rape, then I gotta say I'm glad I'm 1-2 decades younger than the parties involved and still feel too old for this shit.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
MarkV

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 12:04 AM

I would also definitely say this doesn't have to do with that song or any song in particular, since they played Boston in Dec.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 12:57 AM

Please. Can someone just explain what happened and why? I read through this thread like a little drama bitch and now I am hanging on to this story like a fucking John Grisham novel. Please someone let out the truth. We are not internet bitches or idiots for the most part we respect the bands in discussion and THORP regulars are pretty tight for a group I must add. WE JUST WANT THE TRUTH! WHat the hell happened and why?

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 01:05 AM

All I can say is this whole thing sounds pretty gay, and it's one of the reasons I have zero interest in today's hardcore scene.

MarkV

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral it's one of the reasons I have zero interest in today's hardcore scene.

This particular "issue" has been going on for 20 years, so it's not really a "today's scene" issue.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 02:00 AM

I know nothing about Slapshot, their history or any beefs they have going with anyone or had going with anyone at one point...... but no one really gives a shit about the openers on these shows. I mean, if the band plays and does well then it can help your band. But no band is contributing to these shows. The Anti-Heros canceled a few years ago with 24 hour notice. Ducky Boys filled in the slot at short notice. Not a single person gave a fuck that the Anti-Heros didn't play. Except maybe me and the rest of the guys in the band that wanted to see them play. Because the crowd is only there to see DKM. Hey bands cancel...... who cares about the reason? Not the crowd. So there really isn't a need for a statement either way.

Hopefully it all works out in the end. Good luck with whatever it is.

MarkV

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 02:29 AM

I was thinking of the Anti Heros example and was going to mention that.
Like you said, if you're good, a chunk of the crowd will be into it. Even being good doesn't guarantee that crowd will give the slightest shit. I'd say a VERY large portion of the crowd probably hasn't heard of any of the openers on any given night (except for maybe Black 47 this year).
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 04:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral it's one of the reasons I have zero interest in today's hardcore scene.

This particular "issue" has been going on for 20 years, so it's not really a "today's scene" issue.

20 years or not, these days this whole gangsta crew mentality and people associated getting their feathers ruffled over the slightest accusation or diss seems to just permeate every aspect of hardcore these days. It's retarded, and getting worked up about something someone says against some shit that you or your clique might do and then ruining shows and beating people down doesn't exactly improve your fucking rep. In fact, it shows these dudes for the thugs they are. If you wanna have a reputation of doing good for hardcore and punk rock and "protecting" folks from elements that we definitely don't want in the scene... then stop beating up cats for saying some of the shit you do is whack. Just makes you look like a bully and lose face.

I mean, the fact that Mickey says he thinks bands should be taken to account for the shit they say on and off stage is outrageous. It's about as fascist as that shit gets. That's the kinda thing that draws people away from the hardcore scene and eventually causes them to have a dislike for the music. Hell, maybe the music is part of the problem. Maybe this sort of music can't help but breed thuggish mentalities, because it's certainly not a phenomenon limited to hardcore kids and punk rockers who have lived the street life.

Meh, fuck it. Maybe it's just me getting older, wiser, having kids and moving onto other wider interests... going to shows and dealing with these sorts of things has zero appeal to me though.

XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 06:04 AM

speculate and/or guess all you want. whatever it is that happened there was no reason for it. most of the people commenting dont know exactly what was/is/has gone on and thats fine. I'm not saying anyone is totally wrong, but whatever. I'm bowing out of this thread because its pointless. Seems like some people have strong enough opinions that they seem to know they are right when people closer to the situation dont even really understand it.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
xoversux

Mood: DYS SSD

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 06:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:

You obviously know more about this situation than the band does.

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of the Anti Heros example and was going to mention that.
Like you said, if you're good, a chunk of the crowd will be into it. Even being good doesn't guarantee that crowd will give the slightest shit. I'd say a VERY large portion of the crowd probably hasn't heard of any of the openers on any given night (except for maybe Black 47 this year).

Maybe so but I don't think Black 47 went over very well last night at all. Nice guys though.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 12:41 PM

^ really?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
MarkV

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoversux
Quote:
Quote:

You obviously know more about this situation than the band does.

You're going to try and honestly tell me you're confused as to why certain groups of people get pissed at Jack?
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
^ really?

Don't get me wrong.... they didn't bomb. But they didn't go over like a band that I expected a lot of people to know. Just another DKM opener.

ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
Quote:
Originally posted by BD
^ really?

Don't get me wrong.... they didn't bomb. But they didn't go over like a band that I expected a lot of people to know. Just another DKM opener.

H20 on Friday went over well. I felt a little bad for Ashers though, people just standing there, and they played a really good set.

How was your crowd reaction Mark? I would have liked to see you guys at HOB.

Also, who replaced Slapshot with such short notice?

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
MarkV

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 01:10 PM

Reach the Sky
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 02:42 PM

Didn't Reach the Sky break up years ago? Are they yet another reunited band?

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
xoversux

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 02:55 PM

Quote:

You're going to try and honestly tell me you're confused as to why certain groups of people get pissed at Jack?

No I'm not. But clearly there are 2 separate beefs (1 of which I thought was partially resolved [in Haverhill] as indicated to me when we were booked for the show) and the other has to do with people 250 miles away.

But this town should should of stepped up for Slapshot instead of turning it's back.

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnRefuse
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
Quote:
Originally posted by BD
^ really?

How was your crowd reaction Mark?

It went really well. On par with Black 47.

MarkV

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
Didn't Reach the Sky break up years ago? Are they yet another reunited band?

They broke up about 6 years ago. (I think it was 2003.) They're doing 2 reunion shows at some fests (one in Chicago and one in Montreal I believe).
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 03:18 PM

Quote:

But this town should should of stepped up for Slapshot instead of turning it's back.

the throat speaks louder than the voice

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
MarkV

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:

No I'm not. But clearly there are 2 separate beefs (1 of which I thought was partially resolved [in Haverhill] as indicated to me when we were booked for the show) and the other has to do with people 250 miles away.

Those people aren't 250 miles away. The days of those "crews" being one city are over.
What exactly should have been done? Should DKM stood around the stage while you played, acting as a human shield? Are you encouraging your "fans" to put themselves in harm's way?
DKM did the responsible thing which was protecting YOUR well being, and the well being of anyone at the show who could/would have been effected.
xoversux

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Those people aren't 250 miles away. The days of those "crews" being one city are over.
What exactly should have been done? Should DKM stood around the stage while you played, acting as a human shield? Are you encouraging your "fans" to put themselves in harm's way?
DKM did the responsible thing which was protecting YOUR well being, and the well being of anyone at the show who could/would have been effected.

Mark, I'm not messing with you, I appreciate what you have done for Slapshot and I know exactly what you mean.

That's a lot of witnesses to do something in front of.

MarkV

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 03:40 PM

Not when you're loading out of the venue into a back alley man.
xoversux

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Not when you're loading out of the venue into a back alley man.

I actually put a lot of effort into avoiding that.

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top