Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Does age change your tastes
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 07:08 PM
Does age change your tastes

I've noticed for some time now that things I used to really like when I was a bit younger aren't as appealing as they once were. I don't mean childhood things, but things from my later teen tears. I've noticed it in particular when it comes to comedy, be it movies, TV, or stand up, a lot of things I used to think were hysterical I can't sit through anymore.

So here's my question, does age/maturity have any impact on your tastes, or is simply exposure to different and better things that dictate what we enjoy?

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 07:15 PM

I think you grow out of stuff and you do hear/see better stuff. I think that for the most part I still enjoy most of the things that I enjoyed in my 'youth'.... not as much or as often, but I still like lots of really crappy stuff!

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 07:18 PM

I was real into the casualties, and drinking 40's and huffing paint when I was 12 years old and angry as fuck at everything, but that got left behind with the wisdom that comes from maturing. Its all about growing and learning, you could have exposed me to much better music back then and I would have told you to fuck off oi up the punx! then thrown up on your shoes.

Plus anyone over the age of 14 that doesn't think lyrics like this are retarded is developmentally challenged.

"Don't come up to me
Don't you say that we are free
You can take your stupid
Love and peace power
I'm in love with beer
All you fuckin' bastards
Can just fuckin' go away
'Cause you make me sick to my brain"

"At charity care they treat you like shit
They've got jobs, so they don't care
So you must bow like a slave
Your future depends on the decisions they make"
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 07:33 PM

^^^ what barcode said

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 08:22 PM

Ya it really does. I noticed it a lot lately. Pretty much since around age 30 and I am 32 now. My son was born 3 and half years ago and I think that has a lot to do with it. Honestly though I have been realizing it has more to do with environment like job, money, security, the future, health. If things in our surroundings/society "felt" secure like they did a few years back I would be enjoying life more. I think this economy is killing the "Kevin Smith humor". At least a bit with me. I don't like it. I want to enjoy that part again. Shit better change so I can start laughing at funny things again. :fake sniffle:

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 08:33 PM

Yeah, even with like hardcore. I don't really listen to music all that often anymore, but some shit that I probably would've liked a few years back just bores me to death.

There are somethings I'll probably never grow out of, but yeah... certain sorts of music, comedy etc. I just can't deal with anymore.

ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 10:43 PM

Yeah I agree with all of you guys. Although I am watching Hot Shots part duex right now.

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 10:44 PM

I have a good example. Back in 2001 I saw AF, ENSIGN and MURPHY'S LAW. I bought a ENSIGN shirt that read "I hope everything you ever loved dies in your arms" on the back. I didn't think too much about it but my girlfriend said something about it. I'm like "whatever" they are a good band. Then my grandma lays into me about it. Basically said that is mean thing to say on a shirt. Then I thought about it. What if those words did hurt someone? I wouldn't want that on my back or on my shoulders. I stopped wearing it. If I got that shirt a couple years earlier I would have wore it out trying to be a awesome. What is more awesome, is considering others who may have been effected by losing a loved one and then reading that stupid lyric. I sold the shirt on ebay. Now I feel bad for doing that. Hopefully they burned it.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 01:27 AM

Yeah, I used to have all these black metal shirts with tits on them... part of why I discarded them was because I was converting to Islam, but the other part is because those shirts and the bands they represented were retarded.

Plus, there's band shirts generally. At least for me. I generally don't like shirts that say anything other than the band's name on them, so I don't have a whole lotta band shirts because of the rareness of that particular criterion.

I still want to get the "Is this what Abraham wanted" Ramallah shirt though.

Enyo

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 05:04 AM

I think at some point we all become those "old guys" shaking our heads at those crazy kids. I know that there are things I remember as being funny, but that when I've tried to watch them I just can't do it.

That said, I'm far too emotional and nostalgic to outgrow certain music. I *heart* 80's hair bands and I still get tingly when I hear Living on a Prayer. lol
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 06:31 AM

totally....
theres so much crap that i thought was the tits as a teenager that i think is so gay now.
food too.
i eat pretty much anything you put in front of me as long as it doesnt slither.
when i was a kid i was real picky
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 07:25 AM

i find that, some stuff i used to listen to when i was younger i just can't anymore, and i think back, going, what the fuck did i ever see in these guys........biggest example, the dayglo abortions........

CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 10:16 AM

I think it all adds up Maturation and having more responsibilities coupled with needed to plan your life out more as an adult.

As a younger CR83, I did nothing to prepare for the future, just thought things would work out. I drank constantly, smoked and fucked whoever I could. That is what I focused on.

Now, I have a family to support and constantly worry about how my actions will impact my daughter.

When it comes to music, I'm still down with bands from 20 years ago. Not as much but still down for sure. I am not into less "metal" type of music. I did Oi and New Wave more now.

Just part of the growin' up process I think.
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 10:34 AM

I have noticed this has happened from wine to music and certain foods and shows and movies that I like now. I suppose you get older and are able to appreciate more things because you have experienced more things.

Cool thread by the way.

MM.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 11:05 AM

definitely. just comes with maturation. what you're looking for in music as a teenager isn't the same thing you're looking for when you get older. your thought process when you're a kid is really linear ("i like this! everything else sucks") i like a hell of a lot of food, music, movies, books that i hated or would have hated when i was young.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnRefuse
Yeah I agree with all of you guys. Although I am watching Hot Shots part duex right now.

^^^^^^^^^ Both movies are great. Especially the first one. MAJOR LEAGUE is great too. I' m almost afraid to watch them now and be o whatever.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 12:29 PM

How many other hardcore/punk boards are there where you'll find a thread like this?

barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 12:41 PM

Charlie Sheen is a bad motherfucker.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 01:08 PM

Absolutely. I've noticed the change in myself in gradual stages over the years. I'm still an opinionated fucker, but what I have those opinions on is MUCH broader and better informed than when I was a kid. When I was first getting into Punk I generally said that anything that didn't grab me right away was garbage and most of what I dug was the big name, approved bands that all high school punks got into back in those days: Misfits, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Clash, Circle Jerks. Not long after, I started discovering Oi and 2Tone Ska before moving on to the more easily obtained Hard Core sound that was mainly coming out of the East Coast. By the time I submerged myself fully into NYHC and sobered up, I had decided that anything blatantly Punk was crap and I got rid of a ton of stuff I had loved the year before just because it no longer fit into my view of who I thought I was. I've been buying all that stuff back ever since and delving even deeper into all different types of music, but the first step for me was starting to realize that genres and styles outside of the few I had latched onto could be interesting and appealing to me in ways that Hard Core was not. I generally was afraid to admit that to anybody at first, especially since I had been so afraid to admit it to myself just before that, but eventually I started branching out with the types of people I would allow myself to be friends with and the same sort of change happened with my musical tastes as well. Now I find that I listen to a broader range of styles and genres than just about anyone I know and there are still more that I can now appreciate, but don't quite really enjoy yet. It's interesting and amusing to look back and see that progression in myself. I know that when I was a teenage Punk running down the street trying to get away from the middle aged rednecks in their pick ups who wanted to kill me for being a freak, I NEVER would have imagined that one day I would love Country the way I do now.

Veritas odium parit
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Enyo
I think at some point we all become those "old guys" shaking our heads at those crazy kids. I know that there are things I remember as being funny, but that when I've tried to watch them I just can't do it.

That said, I'm far too emotional and nostalgic to outgrow certain music. I *heart* 80's hair bands and I still get tingly when I hear Living on a Prayer. lol

^^^^^^^ ROCK ON SISTER. I just got my balls busted by some friends the other day when I was defending the likes of CINDERELLA and that DAMN YANKEES song.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
Charlie Sheen is a bad motherfucker.

^^^^^^^^^ I think I could drink some beers with that dude. His tv show is good too. You just can't trust him around your mom or your sister. ;)

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
i find that, some stuff i used to listen to when i was younger i just can't anymore, and i think back, going, what the fuck did i ever see in these guys........biggest example, the dayglo abortions........

Dude, the Dayglo's rule. :shocked2:

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 03:10 PM

I cannot relate to anyone under 25 in any way, shape or form. Things they care about are pointless and stupid to me.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 03:11 PM

This thread has definitely brought up some interesting opinions. I've always listened to whatever I like despite what others said to me. I took a lot of shit from a few friends back in the day for liking The Smiths and Depeche Mode, etc. but never cared. By the same token, this board alone has exposed me to a lot of music, especially country, that i wouldn't have even considered looking into because I thought it was all like Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. The other day I tried listening to Skarhead and couldn't stand it, but when the e.p. and the album came out I loved them, listened to them all the time and saw them live on more than one occasion. Now it just sounds so retarded to me.

Another example is Adam Sandler. When I was like 17 I thought he was hysterical. I pulled out his first album yesterday (which was the inspiration for this thread) for the first time in many years. When it came out I thought it was some of the funniest shit I had ever heard, now I think it's mindless crap. I'm guessing I'd feel the same about some of his movies like Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore, which I loved when they came out.

I'm 32 now and think my tastes have changed less due to aging, but because of my exposure to so many newer and different things over the years. When I was a teenager I probably would have hated some of the stuff I like now. I love Enya, Dido, Kelly Clarkson (laugh if you will) and listen to them all the time. I like more intelligent comedy that addresses social issues as opposed to stoner idiocy. I think the only thing that hasn't changed is my choice in reading, as it was always quite varied.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 04:28 PM

I saw Kelly Clarkson on SNL last week... that girl got chubby since Idol huh?

I feel you on Adam Sandler, that first album was hystarical... when I was in 8th grade. I haven't really liked an Adam Sandler movie in years... except Big Daddy, which I think is a pretty great flick.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top