Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CHICAGO
joey

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 06:30 PM
CHICAGO

Going to a show next month at the ''metro''. Is anybody from that area and can name a few reasonably priced spots to grab some grub? What about any record shops? Any info would be appreciated, thanks
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 06:34 PM

Jason the Magnificent heads the Chicago chapter of the thorp warriors and I'm sure will fill you in on his great city
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 06:44 PM

If you're not veg you're in about the worst spot of town for good grub at the Metro. Theres a tolerable hot dog stand right across the street (Wrigleyville Dog) if you want greasy barely edible junk food. Whats some stuff you like and I can tell you someplace to go within reason...are you driving?

Its literally across the street from Wrigley Field so if theres a Cubs game going on and you are driving be prepared to park an ungodly distance away from the venue and try to find your way back to the Metro through scores of buttholes in blue...if no Cubs game theres a decent amount of parking for around $15 for the night...but if its that big show with Killing Time and all those foofy bands get there like 2 hrs early to avoid a headache. It's not overly hard to find your way around there as the streets are on a pretty simple grid, but theres shit tons of traffic around that area.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 06:54 PM

If you just want to go someplace easy though, the Metro is on Clark st which runs diagonally NW to SE, if you follow it SE about 5 blocks you can get to the Belmont st intersection. Thats kind of the epicenter of Chicago "hipster/punk" togetherness but also has a decent concentration of restaraunts west of Clark, one of which "Leonas" has a good stuffed pizza and solid other pizza and italian if you want to punish yourself, theres a cheap diner (i forget the name but the sign on the st says EAT real big and has a picture of Donna Reed or some old 50's broad smiling) thats got good portions for cheap, and a stand that supposedly has the best Phillies west of Philly along with slices and other fare.

The "Alley" is right there too which is like a punk rock/biker/counterculture shopping complex with like 6 stores selling everything from dildos to bongs to DK shirts to cigars.

If you go 3 or 4 blocks east on Belmont from Clark, then go south like 100 ft down Broadway theres a cool record store called Reckless Records that has a good selection of CD/vinyl punk/hc stuff.

I try to avoid the north side like the plague so I'm sure some of the kids at the show know way more shiek places than me but if it's your first time and you want to see some Chicago stuff thats been around forever and not have to drive all over the city you could do worse than Clark and Belmont.

But again, if theres something specific you're looking for let me know. Just for christs sakes don't get ketchup on your hot dog you'll get jumped by terrorists and skinheads and probably explode while the anvils of bad taste smite you.
joey

[*] posted on 4-8-2009 at 04:40 PM

I cant thank you enough for all the info, much appreciated. My friend heard about some pizza joint called Gino's. They any good? The ''Alley'' sounds like my kind of shop. Is Leona's better than Gino's? The diner sounds like a good spot. It's cool that Wrigley is across the street but hopefully no game that day. Once again, thank you for all your help. MUSTARD ONLY!
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-8-2009 at 05:06 PM

Yes, Gino's is good pizza, they're kind of the "touristy" place that you can write on the walls and stuff, Genos East anyway. People that are trying too hard will shun it for being touristy and act like it's not cool to go there, but it's still good pie. Plus their sausage pizza is one giant sausage patty which is amazing in a gluttony sense.

I personally prefer Leonas, they do a slight corn mealy thing with the crust that's pretty awesome. Probably my favorite "downtown" type pizza place. Everyone has their favorite more local joint, but Leonas, Giordanos, Lou Malnatis and Geno's are good places in the city with more than one location if you want to experience Chicago stuffed pizza or just some deep dish and not have to drive all over town. Be prepared to wait about an hour though for one of those, perfection takes time.

I'd also recommend Leonas just for the fact that if you're near the Metro you can park all day around there for one price and just leave your car walk down to the Clark and Belmont area which is nice if you don't want to get lost or have to keep finding new parking spots.

It's a relatively safe area so aside from some drunken bafoon you shouldn't have any problems wandering around.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-21-2009 at 06:39 AM

How'd it go?
joey

[*] posted on 5-21-2009 at 06:26 PM

I ended up not going. I still appreciate all the help, thanks again.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 10:25 PM

You know... I miss Chicago sometimes. Home of the best Soul Vegetarian on the continent. I haven't been there in like 8 years.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 10:30 PM

We have veg food here? :lol:
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-23-2009 at 12:35 AM

Hahaha. Yeah! Chicago Diner was good too, nice vegan breakfast for a reasonable price as I recall.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-23-2009 at 01:20 AM

My wife went there and got a veggie burger the other day and bit into some beef. =(
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-23-2009 at 01:37 AM

That sucks. I'm always going to Baja Fresh and ordering a bean and rice burrito and it never fucking fails there's some cheese on the shit... and it literally makes me wanna barf. I think cheese is one of the most foul tasting things on earth.

XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 5-23-2009 at 08:15 AM

CHICAGO is my friends sons middle name because of The Misfits song 'Children in Heat'....

Children in heat
You can't control them
Why they're running away

Children in heat
Are young little kindle wood
I see them burning
They all changed their names to Chicago

No resistance
No resistance
No resistance

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 5-23-2009 at 09:12 PM

I like Hi Fi and the Roadburners, they are from Chicago.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-23-2009 at 09:20 PM

They're great. One of the best things that Victory ever put out was from them.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-23-2009 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
I like Hi Fi and the Roadburners, they are from Chicago.

To this day I'm pissed I never saw them live. The one time they played Toronto (that I know of) I found out the day after I had agreed to work some extra time to do some training at work. The people I trained got a very grumpy trainer that night.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’

Go To Top