Printable Version  
Author: Subject: the wrestler
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 12:15 AM
the wrestler

man that is one sad movie.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
necrobutcher

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 04:36 AM

In a way, I found the ending to be uplifting. You have a guy who is a broken down fuck up who only was good at one thing in his life. He completely fucked up his family, had no real friends and only found satisfaction wrestling on the independent circuit. He tried to fix some problems in his life but once he fucked those up for good, he said to hell with it and throws everything he has into his one love and one thing that isn't complete shit in his life.

If he did die at the end, that is how I would like to go out, doing something I loved. How many people get to die that way?
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 09:58 AM

I liked that film alot.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 10:34 AM

It was a really good movie. No question, but he was suffering from his tormented mistakes. Nothing uplifting about it. Plus, he wasn't happy. He was blinded by this "satisfaction" of wrestling. Ya, he lived it up in the 80's but it passed him by. Nothing good about living in the past.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Spoiler
Posting Freak

Mood: All that scene philosophy never meant a goddamned thing to me

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 10:41 AM

I loved this movie.

necrobutcher

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
It was a really good movie. No question, but he was suffering from his tormented mistakes. Nothing uplifting about it. Plus, he wasn't happy. He was blinded by this "satisfaction" of wrestling. Ya, he lived it up in the 80's but it passed him by. Nothing good about living in the past.

I think of it as making due in a bad situation. He had nothing, so he found something in wrestling, even though he was 20 years past his prime and broken done. Plus towards the end of the film I think he was at the point where he looked and saw 2 options. The first being never wrestle again due to his heart and spend the rest of his days in a trailer, working in a grocery store and trying to find a reason to live or going out in a way that would be remembered.

At least that was what I got out of the movie.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by necrobutcher
Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore

I think of it as making due in a bad situation. He had nothing, so he found something in wrestling, even though he was 20 years past his prime and broken done. Plus towards the end of the film I think he was at the point where he looked and saw 2 options. The first being never wrestle again due to his heart and spend the rest of his days in a trailer, working in a grocery store and trying to find a reason to live or going out in a way that would be remembered.

At least that was what I got out of the movie.

^^^^^^^^ It's all relative to the observer. Good movie none the less. YOu can get both point of views out of it.

Spoiler
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 07:11 PM

I liked how they used a real "hardcore" wrestler (NecroButcher) for the hardcore match.
and the grocery store scene is great...when he cuts his hand and smears the blood on his face.

What was the black wrestler that he was fighting at the end ? he used to be a pretty big wrestler,but i can't remember his name.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 08:44 PM

The guy he fought at the end was Ernest "The Cat Miller" who wrestled in WCW and WWE.

The only thing I didn't like about this movie is they ripped off a lot of Jake Robert's story from the "Beyond the Mat" documentary and tried to pass it off as original material.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
The guy he fought at the end was Ernest "The Cat Miller" who wrestled in WCW and WWE.

The only thing I didn't like about this movie is they ripped off a lot of Jake Robert's story from the "Beyond the Mat" documentary and tried to pass it off as original material.

What did they steal aside from the shitty father-daughter relationship? I might just be forgetting a bunch of stuff.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 09:25 PM

Necrobutcher is a crazy fuck. He used to wrestle in Texas a few years ago. I got to see him wrestle live a couple of times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da4OFjNKLZ0
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
Quote:

What did they steal aside from the shitty father-daughter relationship? I might just be forgetting a bunch of stuff.

The drugs, the once famous headliner losing his dignity wrestling on the indies, etc. I remembered a bunch of stuff when I watched the Wrestler but can't remember now.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
MarkV

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 12:45 AM

Isn't that really kind of a typical story for a lot of guys from that era?
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 08:13 AM

There are no original stories anyway. Great movie.
Spoiler
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 08:18 PM

Quote:

oh yes,Ernest "The Cat" Miller....I've been trying to remember his name since I first watched the movie.

random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The drugs, the once famous headliner losing his dignity wrestling on the indies, etc. I remembered a bunch of stuff when I watched the Wrestler but can't remember now.

Didn't he only buy the steroids in the locker room, not the "other stuff" like Jake has had problems with? The losing dignity on indies I'll agree with. But it's also been about 5 months since I saw the movie, so I might be forgetting more than just what Marisa Tomei looks like topless.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
necrobutcher

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Didn't he only buy the steroids in the locker room, not the "other stuff" like Jake has had problems with? The losing dignity on indies I'll agree with. But it's also been about 5 months since I saw the movie, so I might be forgetting more than just what Marisa Tomei looks like topless.

He drank quite a bit, did coke in the bathroom with some chick, I think he was smoking a joint in the one scene after the death match and I recall him popping pain pills.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 10:41 PM

He was druggin it up but not a ton. Man Marissa was hot.

Go To Top