Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Road
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 12:22 PM
The Road

Trailer finally out for the long delayed adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's "The Road'. Trailer looks like total dogshit but the word is that its a Weinsteins bros attempt to sell the movie to a larger audience by splicing all the action into the trailer...and that the movie is a great adaptation and does the movie justice.

http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/13468916/standardformat/

For anyone that hasn't read this book, it's basically a road story about a relationship between a father and son trying to make their way to the coast in a post apocalyptic America. What happened is never explained and you basically just travel with these two through barren lifeless landscapes dodging cannibals and just trying to survive till the next day. Its an amazing read, but a totally dark and hopeless story.

John Hillcoat directed it, he did the proposition, one of the best westerns in recent memory so I'm going to give the trailer the benefit of the doubt and go see this in the fall.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 12:28 PM

sounds interesting.
looks interesting, but also (possibly) a little depressing.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 01:01 PM

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is the first i heard of this author and i loved the movie and then read the book- even better. SO I will definitely check it out. Plus read this book. That dude can really set a scene with his words.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 01:07 PM

O SHIT. THAT LOOKS GREAT. For a movie. Not in reality. Was this book written around 1980 like NCFOM?

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 01:18 PM

Written in '06.

and D, it's VERY depressing. What you see in the trailer versus what the movie is rumored to be is going to bum Joe Movie-goer the fuck out (this is good...the book was not an action movie). It looks like you're getting some post-apocalypse thriller...its a methodically long narrative about a father and son that just happens to be set where it's set. I don't think that the trailer could represent the movie/book accurately and still get people in the theatre.

It's an amazing book...but very heavy.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 01:19 PM

an interesting esquire article from someone who's seen the finished product.

http://www.esquire.com/features/movies/the-road-movie-review...
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 01:30 PM

I expect it to be deep and that's my kind of movie. If it were a thriller it would become corny like a will smith movie. I expect dark from this guy. Does anything terrible happen to the wife and son?

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 01:42 PM

Actually in the book the wife is barely a blurb.

Charlize being featured so prominently in the trailer is extremely misleading. The entire book from start to finish is 'the man' and 'the boy' (what they're called in the text) traveling. With BRIEF references to the wife and their life prior to whatever happened to earth. I'm hearing that those are just flashbacks and the bulk of her role is portrayed there in the trailer.

The beginning with the news/storm clips about bad shit happening is also not featured anywhere in the movie apparantly (it's never really explained what happened in the book....whatever it is just is) and is another hollywooded element used to make the movie seem more than what it really is.

Those are the two things that people are really bugging about but reading that Esquire article basically says to have faith, the movie honors the book and the trailer is just popcorn fodder to get people to see what would probably look like a trip into depression if it accurately reflected the movie.

I won't say anything else about what actually happens. Movie doesn't come out till Oct. I'd really recommend reading the book prior. It's an extremely fast read for it's content...one of those you have trouble putting down.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 01:48 PM

ESQUIRE is always a good read. I got to renew my membership when finances get better.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 01:50 PM

I will do so. I will have a break between semesters. in a week.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 05:32 PM

I'm scared to check out the trailer, that book is amazing, depressing as hell, but amazing. I could see a movie being great, but definitely not being a blockbuster box office smash if it's at all true to the book.

Veritas odium parit
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 05:52 PM

The trailer doesn't look nearly as bad as I expected, yeah, it focuses a lot on stuff that's a TINY part of the story, but that's about what I'd expect. I really hope this stays as true to the book as they seem to say...

Veritas odium parit
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 07:50 PM

I have been talking about this movie ever since this thread. When I have a couple extra bucks I will get the book. It's cool of you guys to post about it. This message board is good like that.

morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 09:36 PM

Really need to pick this book up. From what everyone is saying it would be one I'd enjoy.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
mike_

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 02:08 PM

For all McCarthy's junkies. This one is already out on torrent websites.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1510938/

If it bleeds, we can kill it.
jcarter

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 10:34 PM

THE ROAD: I thought the movie was pretty true to the book (of course they omitted that most FUCKED UP part of the book, which I won't ruin for those that want to read it, but if you DID read it you probably know the one,). Good flick. What other books have you guys read by him. I read Blood Meridian which was FUCKING BRUTAL..... All the Pretty Horses and that's it so far. I am going to read the other Border Trilogy books next. I want to read No COuntry for Old Men too.

I'm gonna check out that HBO thing this weekend.

morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 11:09 PM

Guess its been too long since I read the book or watched the movie to remember the most fucked up part. Either way I liked them both. Once I knock out my current reading list I'm going to have to check out more of McCarthy's stuff.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
mike_

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 10:10 AM

The only things I haven't read from him are the Border Trilogy and Suttree. They'll be published in Poland in 2011 and 2012. Can't wait. So far my Cormac's fave is Outer Dark. It reminds me of The Road, but it's more sinister in some respects. Blood Meridian was hard indeed.

If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Go To Top