Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Local record stores
RalphWiggum

[*] posted on 7-5-2009 at 08:01 PM
Local record stores

Anybody on this board happen to have any good record stores around you? Not this best buy/fye shit, but an actual small mom and pop store. I live in Pennsylvania,Levittown to be exact, and there is a good store called Positively Records. Anybody around here heard of it? I found some pretty good things there like: Obituary "slowly we rot" , Possessed "seven churches" and sleep "holy mountain" for under, like, 6 bucks. Also a few good punk goodies such as the business" best of" , agent orange "living in darkness" and the adolescents "s/t". Another one , about 25-30 minutes away from me is the Princeton Record Exchange. Anybody familiar? It's across the street from Princeton University. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice store and they got a ton of vinyl and used cd's, but some of the employees and customers are somewhat, music snobs. So what, i'm an asshole cause i don't like coldplay and dave matthews band. The people there very indy. Like, im not worthy to shop there cause i don't listen to belle and sebastian or kings of leon. But besides that, check the store out if you ever get the chance.

P.S. Is there anyone here that lives around my way? Like levittown, or morrisville or langhorne?
SS76
Posting Freak

Mood: RAMALLAH

[*] posted on 7-5-2009 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RalphWiggum
i'm an asshole cause i don't like coldplay and dave matthews band.

I must be a serious asshole because I fucking hate both of those bands.

Silence is golden but violence is platinum.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 7-5-2009 at 09:06 PM

Tantrum Records in St. Catharines Ontario is awesome, I've spent thousands there in my teen years.

Rotate This in Toronto was alright, now there's a Hits N Misses in TO which does good business, all the vinyl fans go there.

Adelaide has nothing good, everything is shit. Melbourne had a couple decent shops when I was there 6 years ago.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 7-5-2009 at 09:27 PM

ARMAGEDDON SHOP in Providence, RI

www.ArmageddonShop.com

also the home of Armageddon Records

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-5-2009 at 10:09 PM

i live right outside west philly in delcc.
i havent been in a good record store in 10 years.
i should go check them out.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 7-5-2009 at 10:27 PM

I miss the Austin record stores, even more great ones have popped up in the past few years. I think the one shop that will always hold a spot in my heart is one that closed down a few years back, Sound Exchange. I got turned onto so much amazing stuff by going there and spending hours digging through the racks. Waterloo is there too and I believe it's one of the longest standing independents in the country. It's not nearly as Punk and HC focused as Sound Exchange was or as some of the newer shops in Austin like Sound On Sound are, but they are still a great place. When I lived in Baltimore I spent a ridiculous amount of time in Reptilian Records, I must've been in there at least twice a week most weeks. It got to the point where they would set aside stuff behind the counter that they figured I might like before putting it out on the shelves.

I really miss having a local place where I can go and stumble upon some amazing new (or really old) band that I've never heard of and based on the cover art or something go and give it a listen and fall in love with something new to me. There's an independent shop here and they do what they can, but the days of rack digging are mostly over for me. I buy the vast majority of my music online now and only occasionally spring for something I'm not familiar with already. There's still a tiny bit of the music hunter mentality in me which leads me to find blogs about new bands or to check out bands that are myspace friends with bands I like, but it'll never be the same and I miss that. I guess that's why I make it a point to try to hit as many record shops as I can anytime I go to another town.

Veritas odium parit
benj

[*] posted on 7-5-2009 at 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RalphWiggum
Another one , about 25-30 minutes away from me is the Princeton Record Exchange. Anybody familiar? It's across the street from Princeton University. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice store and they got a ton of vinyl and used cd's, but some of the employees and customers are somewhat, music snobs. So what, i'm an asshole cause i don't like coldplay and dave matthews band. The people there very indy. Like, im not worthy to shop there cause i don't listen to belle and sebastian or kings of leon. But besides that, check the store out if you ever get the chance.

P.S. Is there anyone here that lives around my way? Like levittown, or morrisville or langhorne?

i grew up going to princeton record exchange in the late 80's into the mid-90's. some of the same people who worked there then, still work there now. music snobs? yes, absolutely. losers? definitely. some of those dudes are no better than the stereotypical comic book store owner; just substituted with music. it's always been a great store though, and some of my best music discoveries are a direct result of that place. i'm always stoked when i end up back in princeton and see that it's still in business.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 7-6-2009 at 11:28 AM

We have THE EXCHANGE chain of stores which is a used record shop. Usually good finds. Also BUYBACKS, but they get crazy with the prices on some because they also sell on amazon. Cleveland used to have a plethora of good stores but they all closed. Chris' warped records(owned by the guitar player of spudmonsters. Perrys rockpile was a good one in the early nineties and shattered records but that dude is crazy.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Furly
Posting Freak

Mood: Not your band.

[*] posted on 7-6-2009 at 05:31 PM

Welfare records and Al Bums. Both in Haverhill Ma

Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 7-6-2009 at 06:08 PM

Skinnies Records in Norfolk, VA. Rad ass joint!

Go To Top