Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Downloading Hardcore and Metal
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 04:12 PM
Downloading Hardcore and Metal

Thoughts?

http://lambgoat.com/features/articles/metal-hardcore-downloa...

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 04:34 PM

I have to say that I honestly wonder if we aren't at a crossroads here where labels, especially the larger independent labels, are either on their way out or are going to have to find a new means to justify their existence. With Pro-Tools readily available anyone can make a decent recording at home and mix it in their computer. So some of the argument for album sales and the continued existence of albums at all seems to be somewhat disingenuous to me.

If Deicide doesn't even see money from record sales, and really all Metal Blade or whoever they are on these days is just support for touring... I wonder if there's another means for touring. Let alone merch, how many bands actually go through labels for merch anymore? Then you've got the small bands and the up and coming bands... You've just got to wonder... if those guys can put out digital albums, make them available for download for sale with basically zero overhead after buying the Pro-Tools program and paying their electric bills.... what do they need a label for? Especially if they are getting 100% of the profits from their digital sales?

It's a complex question, I suppose. What are Thorp's thoughts? What are you guys seeing, and what are your future intentions? For me, downloading is appealing now partially because I've seen the light and it is iPod. But also partially because 1) file sharing is free and I don't have a whole lot of disposable income or, for that matter, time to hang out in record stores looking for albums or even putzing around on MySpace to check out new bands or going to shows 2) it's easier to do it in a few minutes from home. I still want all the artwork and liner notes though, I'm just not sure I want to buy the physical product and then have yet another jewel case to put in a box somewhere and have it clutter up my storage space. That was a real conundrum for me when I moved last year, "what the hell are we going to do with all these jewel cases, and why the hell do we even need them?"

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 06:38 PM

I still don't see the appeal of downloading as I prefer to have the physical product in my hands. I'm one of a dying breed I think.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 07:14 PM

i download alot of stuff.
in fact today i downloaded tons of old out of print grindcore demos off of a blogspot.
that being said, i have a shit load of actual music i purchased in the last 25 years. i also have alot of burnt cds. i was just thinking this morning how i would like to replace the burns with actual cds with the artwork and all, most likely used ones from amazon, ebay and or second hand stores.
anymore i am dissappointed by most stuff i hear anyways and buying a cd for $13+ to only have 2 good tracks is a waste of cash i could use to buy food.
funny thing is i purchased both versions of the joe coffee's bright as the stars were under, payed for the download of when the fabric dont fit the frame, for the slimlie at the khyber,and bought the new one...so i guess i support the artists i care about...
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
I still don't see the appeal of downloading as I prefer to have the physical product in my hands. I'm one of a dying breed I think.

For whatever reason I like having the physical product too. But when your paying close to $20 a cd that becomes really difficult to justify. Also the fact that I use my ipod in my truck instead of cds for the most part has become a contributing factor.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 11:24 PM

There will always be a place for record labels big and small. Yes bands could do it all themselves but a lot won't. It's legal to defend yourself in a court of law but most people hire an attorney because he knows the law and knows what he is doing. Music promotion is no different.

The thing that will have to change in my opinion is the business model for all record labels. Labels can't sit back and just be a company that promotes records anymore because obviously less and less people are buying them. Labels are going to have to become well rounded entertainment companies. They will have to promote the band's music, merch, and their tours. And some labels are doing just that by signing these 360 deals with new bands. They now get a cut of everything which on the surface sounds bad but it isn't. That means they will put in effort in every aspect of the band (not just record sales) because there will be money to be made. I think we will see a consolidation of record labels and concert promotion companies. Live Nation is already doing it with Madonna. They are putting our her next 3 records. They get some smart record execs to promote the records and they already know what they're doing on the live show front. Massive amounts of money will be earned.

Physical record sales will never bounce back but the music industry as a whole will. It'll all be figured out.

upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 11:50 AM

I'm a merch hound. I want the physical product. It goes back to hunting through record stores when I was a kid. This instant gratification society we live in takes all the gratification out of everything. I like the anticipation of racing home to spin a new album ( although these days I can listen to it in my car, however there is still the anticipation filled walk across the parking lot). I think downloads are a great way for young bands and artists to get their shit out there though.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 12:27 PM

this line pisses me off and is why some labels need to be gone...
ready for it...
"I do feel that the Internet and the communities help music greatly," Slagel comments. "However, there is a lot of money, time, and jobs that are out there to create this music. If these things do not exist then the music will not exist."

not fucking true
the music was there long before the money and will be there long after...

if dipshit labels that are in it for a buck close down there might be less "signed" bands, but I'm sorry half the crap that is out there now doesn't need to be signed to a big label with big money... nost of the crap out there should go to hell anyway

if you love playing music fucking do it and don't worry about rock stardom... you will not ever make it to KISS status
be happy someon is actually enjoying your ART

a band like wisdome in chains is pretty damn big in the current "scene" and have been at this a long fucking time
and everyone one of those guys still works a full time job, and they tour when they can...

what ever happened to that work ethic for these other ass wipes bands who think they need a tour bus and radio play...

this is why I make my products as inexpensive as I possibly can
so the hard working bands might see a buck at the end of the night
when ever other person in the music industry is trying to take that buck away
d.i.y. or fucking die
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 03:41 PM

I download because 99% of bands suck.

Everyone and their brother has a record label putting out bands that have no business putting out CD's.

Once it all comes crashing down and theres 5 good bands to wade through instead of 500 bad ones, I'll go to the record store again.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by defstarsteve
this line pisses me off and is why some labels need to be gone...
ready for it...
"I do feel that the Internet and the communities help music greatly," Slagel comments. "However, there is a lot of money, time, and jobs that are out there to create this music. If these things do not exist then the music will not exist."

not fucking true
the music was there long before the money and will be there long after...

if dipshit labels that are in it for a buck close down there might be less "signed" bands, but I'm sorry half the crap that is out there now doesn't need to be signed to a big label with big money... nost of the crap out there should go to hell anyway

if you love playing music fucking do it and don't worry about rock stardom... you will not ever make it to KISS status
be happy someon is actually enjoying your ART

a band like wisdome in chains is pretty damn big in the current "scene" and have been at this a long fucking time
and everyone one of those guys still works a full time job, and they tour when they can...

what ever happened to that work ethic for these other ass wipes bands who think they need a tour bus and radio play...

this is why I make my products as inexpensive as I possibly can
so the hard working bands might see a buck at the end of the night
when ever other person in the music industry is trying to take that buck away
d.i.y. or fucking die

Word up.

If you can make good music AND make a buck to boot... that's great. Even better if you pay your dues and are able to make your music your primary source of income.

But all these fuckers that want to make a buck just because they think they have the right clothes and the right sound piss me off to no end. They all want to be like fucking Fall Out Boy without realizing that the guys in Fall Out Boy were in metalcore bands long before they started FOB and chances are FOB is a scam because these cats realized they could make some money off of doing this sort of music the way the music industry was working. I have my doubts that any of those guys actually like too much what they are making.

Go To Top