Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What do you look for in a Greatest Hits comp?
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 7-26-2009 at 08:17 PM
What do you look for in a Greatest Hits comp?

I ask because Discipline has a new 2-disc best of set that looks fucking lame to me. It only has tracks from the 4 albums on I Scream, and in some cases damn near the entire album. I looked and found a reciew that said that there wasn't even liner notes detailing the bands history, just the lyrics. Could this be looked at as a starter set for somebody just checking out the band, or just a big ripoff. I'm leaning towards the latter.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 7-26-2009 at 08:22 PM

I like greatest hits where the songs are re-recorded (like the Slapshot one), have awesome liner notes (multiple pages!), maybe a special packaging and something new.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 12:22 AM

Ya that sounds like a comp of stuff from that label of that band. Not a best of. I've noticed that before with other bands and it is fucking weak.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 10:48 AM

Victory did that with Earth Crisis a while back, after they "broke up." It was just stuff that they did on Victory, which is most of their stuff. But because they could or chose to only use the Victory produced stuff they put garbage on it from their worst album Slither.

For someone who like EC that was a super horrid decision and a couple tracks from Roadrunner's Breed the Killers ep would've been better.

I don't think a greatest hits album is usually a good idea, especially not with most bands. And not often with punk/hardcore. The only greatest hits albums I'm ever likely to pick up are going to be the likes of Cash or Haggard or Motown stuff. Although, that Ramones Mania album is a good greatest hits collection of the Ramones and I've had that for years.

MikeFromInhuman
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 10:53 AM

I look for THE HITS mainly.
As well as at least one or two unreleased songs, a cover maybe?

BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 01:31 PM

Who cares about these so called greatest hits albums. make a playlist of all your favorite songs and you will never have to buy a greatest hits album by any band again.

MM.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 01:41 PM

I like having greatest hits albums with unreleased or new stuff. I get all the good songs plus some new shit. I also love extensive liner notes because I'm a big nerd for that kind of stuff.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 02:12 PM

The Madball greatest hits cd is dumb. i mean who doesn't have them records? there is the killing time cover but whatever.
i think sometimes bands put that shit out just to honor whatever contract they still have with a label that they will do however many releases etc.
I'd at least want something I never heard.
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 03:00 PM

Remember the Warzone "best of" from Victory? They did two albums on Victory, and that's what the greatst hits CD has songs from. I would guess this has to do with the label having the rights to the stuff they put out, but for some reason nothing else wouldn't rights for out of print stuff go back to the band, who can then give permission to the label? I think Mark once said something like this about the Ducky Boys stuff on GMM and gettting mad when he noticed Victory was still pressing it (given the distribution deal between GMM and Victory).

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 03:08 PM

Warzone had more than 2 records on Victory. They had "Lower East Side" "From Old School to New School" "Beyond Birth and Death" (split with Cause for Alarm) "The Sound of Revolution" and "Fight For Justice."

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 03:50 PM

but random's point is right...
a label is more apt to do a best of if they own the rights or can easily get them from the band.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 04:13 PM

The types of hits packages I get are different than the ones you're discussing in that I buy them of more mainstream or popular bands. But I'm looking for an introductory sample of what the band was all about and information on the albums they came from so I can potentially explore their actual albums further.

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 04:14 PM

Thorp, throw us back into the studio and I will give you some re-recorded old versions of Ducky Boys' songs along with a new song or two and we'll release a best of to milk the kids for more of their hard earned money.
: )

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
The types of hits packages I get are different than the ones you're discussing in that I buy them of more mainstream or popular bands. But I'm looking for an introductory sample of what the band was all about and information on the albums they came from so I can potentially explore their actual albums further.

same.
the only albums i have from Beatles, Jackson 5, Cars, Simon & Garfunkel and 'best of's cause that's all i want.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 07:04 PM

Best "hits" packages ever:

1. Tom Petty -Anthology
2. CCR - Chronicles
3. Bob Seger - Hits

Must haves.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 07:57 PM

The Tom Petty one is amazing.

Mainstream music is much easier when it comes to compilations.

MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Thorp, throw us back into the studio and I will give you some re-recorded old versions of Ducky Boys' songs along with a new song or two and we'll release a best of to milk the kids for more of their hard earned money.
: )

I know you're being funny, but I'd buy it. I'm one of the few people that LOVE hearing new versions of old songs. The slapshot hits B9 did is a great example. And I think especially in Hardcore/Punk, thats how a "hits" compilation should go down.

BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Best "hits" packages ever:

1. Tom Petty -Anthology
2. CCR - Chronicles
3. Bob Seger - Hits

Must haves.

Those are some fine choices right there.

MM.

Go To Top