Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: passed away
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 03:18 AM

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

Mood: Quite nice actually.

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 06:25 AM

Thats Johnny Benson who used to play in a band called King Konquerer. Jeff used to dress up as an ape and dance around jam packed bars to get the crowd moving. If you can imagine a 6'4" 230 pound dude (jeff) in a full ape suit skanking and dancing up a storm.

I just remember him pouring sweat and lifting up his mask to have a swig of beer.
jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 07:01 AM

This is from his best friend Mike Freeborn:

Hey all...I had one fuk of a time gettin back on the board....Lord knows what kind of twisted storys are flotin around the internet....So heres some facts...Last Sunday after jammin, Jeff was conplanin about chest pains...Not uncommon....Ive seen this before...hes pulled muscells in his chest from singin before...Still... I was concerend....A few minutes later he felt like he was going too puke...The night before we were drinkin,and BBQed two pork tenderloins....I thought he might have really bad hartburn....and the beer was commin back to haunt him....Not the case.....Then I heard him colapes in the bathroom...called 911....gave him mouth too mouth and CPR....The paramedicts arrived and tried too revive him for over 20 minutes.....You know the rest....
I loved him like a brother....and a part of me has deid with him....

He was creamated two days ago in his boots, King Konqueror shirt,and his shades....
jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 07:03 AM

Here is a pic of him in the suit

jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 07:07 AM

This is a thread that has a lot of great stories and input from his family and friends...

http://media.locals.ca/localsconf/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46948&...
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 08:37 AM

Those pics are TREMENDOUS!
Thank you for posting them up, Jonny.

You've probably seen the splash page we posted by now.
We'll have it up for a while, but it will also live permanently here:
http://thorprecords.com/splash/jeff-amarandos-rip.php
Please feel free to pass this, or even this thread, on to his friends if you think it appropriate.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 10:38 AM

nicely done, Duane & Andy.

DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
nicely done, Duane & Andy.
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 12:28 PM

good job guys
Jeff wan an awedome guy from what I knew of him and he will be missed
Rolly

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 01:35 PM

Hey all,

My name is Rolly and I've known Jeff since we were about 16. This is how we met: I'd fought and beat a (now very good) friend who was a skin and Jeff came up to me the next weekend to kick me out of the arcade that all the punks, skins, art students and freaks used to hang at. I didn't want to go because I was beating my high score at Xevious so he waited for me to finish the game before administering the justice... he was a gentleman even back then. Our mutual friend, Andy, had been there for the fracas the week before and explained to Jeff what happened, that I was a target for young skins, being the only mod in town at the time, and so Jeff promptly came up to me and apologized and introduced himself. We were friends since that day and we'd talk about sub culture, ska and scooters as well as what was happening in our scene.

Later in life I and a few others had formed King Konqueror. We were doing better than we ever expected and we'd picked up Jeff along the way who acted as our friend, advisor, manager (until we drove him crazy), body guard, moral support, and he played the part of 'Flossy' our gorilla, a gimmick/mascot not unlike Iron Maiden's Eddie or The Ramones' Pinhead. He always did an amazing job and we've been thinking about him a lot before his passing as we've been reforming a bit lately to do one-off gigs. He was one of the most fun things about being in that band and we have loads of stories that are now being remembered and told to laughter and tears.

Thanks, Johnny, Brian and Dave for spreading the word about Jeff's offline person... as said there's more on the Halifaxloclas.com 'Backstreet Amusements cica 1984 - 1989' thread. I recommend checking it out.

That song posted by Johnny, that's our keyboard player doing a song we'd written years back, only he's now changed the lyrics to pay homage to Jeff, the great times we shared with him and the effect he had on us as a band as as people. It was a tear jerking bitter-sweet pleasure watching that vid; thanks for posting it, Johnny. It'll be hard playing that song at an upcoming gig at a scooter rally this Saturday but it must be done. Every note that we ever play again will be dedicated to Jeff and played with the fury, spirit and enthusiasm that Jeff brought to the stage.

The fact that Jeff was cremated in his boots, KK shirt and shades blows my mind and honours me beyond belief.

It's been an emotional few weeks and we all empathize with Sheila, Kate an d Jeff's best friend, Mike. He touched so many people and was one of a kind. So many stories... RIP, Jeff, brother. Sheila, I can only echo what's already been said on halifaxlocals. Take care folks.

-- Rolly
Dave
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 01:44 PM

Thanks for visiting us Steve.

Funny thing was, Jeff's online person was pretty much his offline one.
Hope you stick around on the boards for awhile. We need some more CDN's on here....

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 03:44 PM

Man... this thread amazes me. I don't know what it is about Thorp, I haven't met the majority of you guys but you're like family. When I read Shelia's post it was like a punch in the gut, and I didn't know Jeff from Adam... as they say.

God be with you, Jeff. Peace.

newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 03:56 PM

Yeah, thanks for the words Steve. That really sums Jeff up well. Fiercely loyal, and about as straight up a person as I've ever known. I know a lot of people that would echo those sentiments as well.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 07:18 PM

I still can't believe he's gone. It just seem possible.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Earl of Halifax

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 07:55 PM

RIP Jeff.

A gentle giant, a kind man. I'm grateful to have met him, shared beers and some laughs with him. He certainly touched everyone that knew him in one way or another. My thoughts have been with him, his friends and his wife and daughter. A true stand up guy that will forever be missed, but remembered.

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 09:10 PM

Rest in piece Thorp Warrior...

Enyo

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 09:27 PM

my heart hurts for his family. He was so so young. :( I wish I had known him better.
Rolly

[*] posted on 8-5-2009 at 01:55 PM

Thanks, Brian and Dave, it was just such a pleasure knowing Jeff. I can well imagine he was the same guy online as he was in real life because he was that kind of honest. My posts can be little long winded; whenever I post on these things I tend to go a little overboard with details and 'creative writing'.

Though so many stories revolve around Jeff's life within 'the scene' (Clubs, music, parties, the places where he touched so many people) we can't ever forget that he was a wonderful family man, a valued employee, a heroic soldier who selflessly spent much energy comforting his fellow heroic soldiers in the aftermath of the horrors they went through, and he was a damn good friend to many.

Below I'll post some nice words from two people who've known him a long time....
Rolly

[*] posted on 8-5-2009 at 02:02 PM

This from one of the Grandpas of the Halifax punk scene:

"S...i have no words that could express the loss you and K and all of us feel. I feel as though i've lost a brother, a protector and a friend, i have no idea how you or K or S or the rest of the family must feel right now, but you are not alone. If there is anything I can do to help you through this transition, just ask and it will be done. Your husband was an inspiration, a hero, and sooo much fun to be around, being around him let me appreciate how much he loved every second of his life and his "Ladies"
I feel honored to have known him and been his friend. Stay tough.
much love,
Tim"

I couldn't say it any better.

This from my friend Mike and KK guitar player:

"Jeff was the most honest, chivalrous, generous man I've met. Just one example: years back we were heading out after a few pints at the Daimond late one cold winter night night. We noticed our associate X's lady (wife/girlfriend?) trying to leave the bar incapacitated. Jeff, without a second thought, says to me "How much money do you have left?" Together we pool together enough change
to get her a cab ride home.

She was unable to give the driver her address, so we get in the cab with her, and direct the driver to X's house. She invites us in for a nightcap for our troubles. As we are dusting off our boots, X appears and says "Who the hell are you? What are you doing with my wife?" and kicks us out into the cold. We suspected X has a condition that prevents him from recognizing people's faces.

We walked home broke, in the slush and freezing rain while Jeff told me what it means to be an unsung hero."

That's Jeff. He's given myself and others the last coin in his pocket so they could be safe. That's Jeff. He gave money and rode bikes for charity. Men should try to be like Jeff.

-- Rolly
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 8-7-2009 at 12:31 AM

Kate and I would like to thank you all .This is a bad dream I am trying to wake up from.I grieve profoundly for our daughter.Jeff is an amazing man husband and papa to Kate.She will never forget him as we have many movies music and stories for her.I want time to go by fast to be in his arms but I need time to go slow for our daughter.Jeff and I always joked we did 20 years together and covered all the bases that a couple who had been married 50 years.we always said love you babe no matter what and Kate always saw and knew that she is also told everyday love you Jeff and I always made sure of that.As a nurse I tried to comfort families in times like these but I never never thought I would be on the other end.Jeff enjoyed thorp and it was one of the only boards that he spent time and showed me some strange things posted but had us laughing and at times crying.you are very special people and I hope one day to meet some of you.Kate and I thank you.We will love you forever Jeff Love Sheila and Kate

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
REV.PAULIE

[*] posted on 8-7-2009 at 05:23 AM

the post that Rolly put up about how they first met is priceless...a TRUE HARDCORE PUNK MEMORY...

i wish that i had the chance to meet Jeff...through the words and memories that come from those that knew him,he sounds like a solid,hard as nails human being...another friend that i will never meet.

i've lost friends on an unfairly basis - as we ALL have - and,i'm really tired of it...Jeff's loss was not expected,and hurts even more to those who knew and loved him,i'm sure...but,to the rest of our knuckleheaded bretheren - PLEASE STOP DYING.

my troubles are of no greater importance than anyone else's in this world...and my struggles are alongside the rest of you lot...but,instead of racing towards a fix-all for the moment,we should all take the time to WALK in the right direction,for a change...only YOU will know what the right direction is...it overcomes the usual vertigo (if you feel me),and scares you even WORSE than fucking up...

you can still.and ALWAYS,be hard as nails to stop and smell the gunpowder before becoming cannon fodder...the roses will be there,when you're done...

but,this thread is about Jeff...go easy into the night,and watch over us at the dawn...

much respect and love to his family and friends.

-rev.paul bearer

Will learn to Tap Dance,eventually...Will have you broads Hula,definitely...Trust me,you'll see.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-13-2009 at 03:57 AM

For those that are interested, this will be the archive location of our memorial to Jeff:
http://thorprecords.com/splash/jeff-amarandos-rip

Dave
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-13-2009 at 07:30 AM

nice

yeahjewlzyeah

Mood: The Clash

[*] posted on 11-20-2009 at 11:06 AM

RIP Jeff

Burning Streets had the pleasure of meeting Jeff up in Halifax and playing with his band "Frigg Off!" twice while we were up there. Those dudes, especially Jeff were some of the nicest guys we've met before.

He was such a huge, intimidating guy...we all thought he was gonna call us pussies and stomp us into the ground...ended up becoming a good friend and we had the pleasure of sharing a couple beers with him.

We all remembered hearing the news this summer while we were out in California...Jeff will definitely be missed by everyone who met him

-BURNING STREETS

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 04:41 PM

you know, not a day goes by that i don't think about jeff.
sheila and kate, you remain in my thoughts.

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top