Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scrapple.....
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-31-2009 at 10:31 PM
Scrapple.....

Scrapple (similar to pon haus) (Pennsylvania Dutch) is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour and spices. (Pon haus uses only the broth from cooked meat.) The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste. Scrapple is best known as a regional American food of the Mid-Atlantic States (Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland). Scrapple and Pon hause are commonly considered an ethnic food of the Mennonite and Amish, or Pennsylvania Dutch. Scrapple is found in supermarkets throughout the region in both fresh and frozen refrigerated cases, and it can sometimes be found in frozen form in cities as far away as Los Angeles.

Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned, and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper and others are added. The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.[1]

Commercial scrapple often contains these traditional ingredients, with a distinctive flavor to each brand.[2] A few manufacturers have introduced beef[3] and turkey varieties and color the loaf to retain the traditional coloration derived from the original pork liver base. Home recipes for chicken and turkey scrapple are also available.[4][5]

Vegetarian scrapple, made from soy protein or wheat gluten, is offered in some places.[6] It is seasoned to be much sweeter than typical meat scrapple.

Scrapple is typically cut into quarter-inch to three-quarter-inch slices, and pan-fried until browned to form a crust. It is sometimes first coated with flour. It may be fried in butter or oil and is sometimes deep-fried.

Scrapple is usually eaten as a breakfast food, and can be served plain or with apple butter, ketchup, jelly, maple syrup, honey, or even mustard and accompanied by eggs, potatoes, or pancakes.[original research?] In some regions, such as New England, scrapple is mixed with scrambled eggs and served with toast.[citation needed] In the Philadelphia area, scrapple is sometimes fried and then mashed with fried eggs, horseradish and ketchup
Scrapple is arguably the first pork food invented in America. The culinary ancestor of scrapple was the Low German dish called panhas, which was adapted to make use of locally available ingredients, and it is still called "panhoss" or "pannhas" in parts of Pennsylvania[7]. The first recipes were created more than two hundred years ago by Dutch colonists who settled near Philadelphia and Chester County, Pennsylvania in the 17th and 18th centuries.[8] As a result, scrapple is strongly associated with Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C. and surrounding eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware and the Delmarva Peninsula.

In composition, preparation, and taste, scrapple also is similar to the white pudding popular in Ireland, Scotland and parts of England and the spicier Hog's pudding of the West Country.

In Texas with the influx of a large German contingent of immigrants, the use of Panhaus or Pannaus is largely found in German based communities like New Braunfels and surrounding areas. With modern chilling and packaging procedures, Pannaus is to be found in many community grocery stores and meat markets, particularly those with old fashioned meat butchering capabilities.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-31-2009 at 11:51 PM
Scrapple.....

...I will eat you in the morning.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
M.Alki

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 03:23 AM

i had never heard of Scrapple until Feb this year, i was in B'more, severely hungover, and someone told me about it then and tried to convince me it was tasty and that i should have it.
i objected.
And im pretty sure i always will object anytime it may be suggested to me! it just sounds nasty, kinda like black pudding or haggis kinda nasty!
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 04:03 AM

I am scared of anything composed of the parts that they won't put into a hot dog.

And there's a family story of my grandfather's attempt to do homemade scrapple gone awry.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 08:24 AM

I am also indulging in the scrapple this morning.
Enyo

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
I am scared of anything composed of the parts that they won't put into a hot dog.

MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 08:46 AM

Tried it when I was younger and was disgusted. Not even maple syrup made it better.

XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 09:11 AM

Ive never had it and it probably is good, but I think I would be afraid to try it

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by M.Alki
it just sounds nasty, kinda like black pudding or haggis kinda nasty!

I tried black pudding in Ireland, and it was fucking disgusting. Haggis on the other hand is quite tasty.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
FNSRecords

Mood: music.

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 06:30 PM

...lips and assholes.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FNSRecords
...lips and assholes.

and you don't even have to buy the pig a beer
DAK