Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How did you get into Punk/Hardcore?
Vanilla Gorilla
Posting Freak

Mood: Yellow Stitches

[*] posted on 8-6-2009 at 11:08 AM
How did you get into Punk/Hardcore?

Thought it might be interesting to see how people here got into punk and or hardcore since people here are pretty diverse in age and location.

I got into it without really knowing by seeing videos on Headbangers ball on MTV, I remember seeing Bad Religion, and Rancid videos and liking them more than the metal and kind of bought albums from there I guess not really knowing much about punk since I was only like 13 or 14, I had mostly listened to grunge and metal before punk. and I guess even stuff like Greenday and Offspring kind of planted the seed.

I would say about 1998 was when i really got into Punk and hardcore and started going to shows when I was around 16 and in MA at the time there were a lot of really good bands like Dropkicks, Ducky Boys, Showcase Showdown, the Explosion, the Trouble as well as hardcore bands like the A-team, Bane, Right Brigade, In My Eyes.

Just thought I would throw it out there and see how other people got into, I definetly remember the bands that made me really get into punk and hardcore.

Well I've got a feeling I'm gonna get mine in. Retribution let the games begin.
benj

[*] posted on 8-6-2009 at 11:32 AM

Mainly through reading Thrasher in the mid- to late 80's, and then from my friend Chris Nostrand, who used to play Black Flag, Minor Threat and DKs for me when I was about 14. Back then a lot of skaters used to write band names on their griptape so I learned about a lot of stuff that way. Then it was just a matter of going to the record store and trying to find shit; If I liked a record I bought, I would write down the bands listed in the Thank You notes too.
mattybar

[*] posted on 8-6-2009 at 11:44 AM

like a lot of kids my age, i started skating after seeing Back To The Future and craved anything to do with it. Saw a few Thrasher videos and a mate of mine got totally into the music. He was lucky enough to meet up with some punks who used to squat this block of flats nearby and skate around outside all day. They taped him a bunch of stuff, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Poison Idea as well as uk stuff like Doom, Concrete Sox and so on.
During this time I was listening to grunge and indie stuff. I started getting into shit like Green Day and Dog Eat Dog as it got lots of airplay and my mate said to me 'you do realise all that shit is just a watered down version of this?' and played me a load of stuff. Some of it I couldn't get into at first, but some stuff I loved instantly.
Then he got into some more modern stuff like SOIA and Madball. From there we checked out as much NYHC as we could, checked the band names in the thanks lists which leads us onto more and more bands. By 1996 I was obsessed and the rest is history.
Funny thing is, recently i'm listening to a lot of the stuff i used to listen to as a kid like all these old Sub Pop bands and shit.

Go To Top