Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What's the furthest you've ever traveled for a show?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-24-2004 at 01:04 PM
What's the furthest you've ever traveled for a show?

Will you only go see shows in your town, or in the closest city? Or will you road trip six hours to see a band that never comes around? And while we're on it, have you ever followed a band on tour to catch more than one show?

And being in a band, or traveling with a friend's band as a 'roadie' doesn't count. I mean as a fan, how far have you gone?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-24-2004 at 02:12 PM

last year I planned on going to see Bane in their three show mini-tour thing in the Northeast. Two shows in New York and one in MA, but I got sick and could only go to one of the shows. I was kind of let down. The MA show would have been a 4 hour drive both ways. Ive done that before a few times for some bigger shows. Reach the Sky had their final show in Worcester and I drove up for that with a few friends. I went there again with some friends to see a Barrit reunion and What Feeds the Fire's final show.

Ozman and I and a few friends drove to Philly to see Death Threat, Punishment, Skaretactic, Pride Kills, etc. I dont remember how long it took to get there and back, but we got lost and I didnt get home until the sun came up. haha

I dont remember how long it took to get to the Youth of Today show either, but I dont think that was the farthest Ive driven for a show. I drove to Wilkes-Barre once to see Bane. hahaha I love that fucking band. That was a really long drive too.

So yeah.... if it's Bane, I'll drive anywhere within reason I guess. I'd do it for any huge show that looks cool as long as Im motivated and have company.

Big Ugly

[*] posted on 9-24-2004 at 02:46 PM

The farthest I ever went for a show was from Toronto to Milwaukee. I went for the metalfest back in like 97 or 98 cause Misfits, Candiria, and Earth Crisis were all playing the main stage and there was a punkfest stage on the second day with DRI, The Business, DOA, Murphy's Law, and a bunch of other bands. I was glad I saw it there cause the punk show came to Toronto a week or two later but DRI and The Business could't come across the border.

Other then that the farthest I've gone was a five and a half hour drive to see Jello Biafra do a spoken word performance.

dustone

Mood: new Pride Kills

[*] posted on 9-24-2004 at 03:50 PM

I drove 12 hours to the Rat in Boston to see Wrecking Crew reunion show, Blood For Blood, Diecast, All Out War, Reach The Sky, One King Down and Earth Crisis.
I will follow bands around 2-3 show around Ohio, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago.
GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

Mood: Teenage Fanclub

[*] posted on 9-24-2004 at 04:00 PM

when i was about 16, i walkedabout 2-3 hours to watch Fishbone, and the mighty mighty bosstones.
I loved fishbone, and some ass left me at work. So i walked the whole million miles in my TCBY shirt and saw that fucking show.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 9-24-2004 at 07:25 PM

AUSTRALIA FROM CANADA! ahahahah
I went to shows while in Australia but I never made the trip just for that.
Farthest was St Catharines to London for Blacklisted in June. Its around 2 hour drive. Other than that its Buffalo & Toronto which are both 45-70 minutes depending on traffic.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 9-24-2004 at 10:42 PM

I went from Austin to Madison, Wisconsin years ago just to go to the "A New Hope" Festival. There was a whole vanload of us and we went with a band, but not as roadies or anything, it was just more convenient to share the road cost and rooms between a larger group of people. I still have a bunch of the sets from both days of that fest on VHS. The main things I remember were Integrity playing and some girl tried to hit Dwid with a baseball bat or something, Bowel played and the "singer" read all the lyrics from the CD insert, and Tony Victory got up and sang that one song from his old band with the guys from Integrity playing it. I've been known to catch a show the next night if it's in San Antonio after seeing it in Austin before. If there's a way to do it, I will go anywhere for the right show. Like if there was somebody I could kill and in turn get transportation and tickets for that Sheer Terror show, I'd be breaking out the tire iron right now.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 9-25-2004 at 12:20 AM

I live just outside of Cleveland, OHIO and have went to shows in Detroit, MI Toledo, OH ERIE, PA PITTSBURGH, PA. Columbus OHIO Canton OHIO.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 9-25-2004 at 12:21 AM

Dude the MIGHTY MIGHTY BOSSTONES ALWAYS PUT ON A GREAT SHOW.
Saw them many many times.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 9-25-2004 at 02:02 AM

halifax to new hampshire for the business, bruisers and ducky boys (around 15 hrs). also saw motorhead and rose tattoo in london but i didnt go there specifically for those shows.
DAN SMASH
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-25-2004 at 06:08 AM

i guess im pretty lucky in that we only live an hours drive from london, or 30 mins on the train, and get the chance to see most bands big or small as they nearly always play there.
the very furthest i ever travelled was when i lived in the north, that was to leeds to see motorhead.

the singer from an old band i played in did the whole bad brains "quickness" uk tour many years ago.

i would have loved to do the whole soia tour over here earlier this year, but money and work fucked that up for me and i could only make one of the london shows.

mary

Mood: HARDCORE!!!

[*] posted on 9-25-2004 at 08:13 AM

i went to berlin for slapshot and blood for blood which took me about 5 hours and it was worth it!!!!
SAAAAARS
Posting Freak

Mood: madball

[*] posted on 9-25-2004 at 02:58 PM

i live in maine. right now, furthest i've gone is allston/boston (four and a half hours). once for bane, comeback kid, mental, etc and once for the suicide files last show. but, if things go according to my plan, i'll be flying out to cali for over my dead bodys last show in november.

RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

Mood: Fuck U All

[*] posted on 9-26-2004 at 09:39 AM

With the exception of ozzfest (virginia 1 1/2 hours) I've never had to go to far to see any shows. Between Baltimore and DC... all the bands i wanted to see have always come here.

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.
jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

Mood: Quite nice actually.

[*] posted on 10-1-2004 at 10:15 AM

We drove from Halifax, NS to Windsor Ontario (by detroit) for the first show of our tour. We drove 27 hours strait, and left at midnight so we could arrive at the proper time. The drive sucked and the tour sucked as well. The headlining band not naming any names ( the GC5 from cleveland) dropped off the tour after 2 dates so we HAD to finish playing empty shows for the next 10 days.

I'll let you in on a secret...if you listen to the song Port City Rebels on the new record: during the intro when i start singing if you listen close I changed GC to jesus. If you listen to the song and still want to know why they dropped off the tour, i'll fill you in.
xcut throatx

Mood: blacklisted

[*] posted on 10-1-2004 at 11:32 AM

I saw Kids Like us in VA Beach, then traveled back to richmond and caught them at the Cast Aside video shoot too. I don't usually travel anywhere though.

--paul
Jeff trhe Greek

Mood: The Tossers

[*] posted on 10-7-2004 at 02:06 PM

12 hours to Portland, Maine for the Business.

Don\'t blame me, I voted for Kodos.
SAAAAARS
Posting Freak

Mood: madball

[*] posted on 10-8-2004 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff trhe Greek
12 hours to Portland, Maine for the Business.

yeaaaaaaah maine!

Go To Top