Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Please remember that Memorial Day means more than just a three day weekend
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 02:06 AM
Please remember that Memorial Day means more than just a three day weekend

Regardless of your opinion of America's involvement in global conflicts over the years, please take a moment to remember those, both military and civilian, whose lives have been effected by war.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
paul nastyGAMC

Mood: silence

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 03:40 AM

cheers to you big duane!!i guess sometimes, things can be put into perspective for me. thank you. i guess as hopless as things are here for me, there is always hope.

paul nastyGAMC
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 08:30 AM

That is awesome. I know people have different views of the Military but those folks are in harms way for us.
jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

Mood: Quite nice actually.

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 09:12 AM

That is a sad photograph. I'm not anti troop just anti war.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 06:12 PM

Life is never easy to sum up in any photo or book. It's impossible. War or no war or whatever your stance. That could be you. That could be your relative. that IS someones relative. It is a fact of life that fighting exists. U.S. Military officers are fighting for us. No matter what your views their life is on the line every fucking day. Remeber them at your party or if your like me and have to fucking work remember them. Not a specific individual just every officer defend your freedom. From 1776 to 2005 and on.
paul nastyGAMC

Mood: silence

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 06:22 PM

i really really like most everybodys post on this board. you are all uplifting people in a shallow peice of shit that is this world. in a time of lost friends, fucked up ex girl friends, and nervous breakdowns, you people have helped more than you even know,
cheers

paul nastyGAMC
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 06:29 PM

thats one depressing photo, and dont worry, while everyone else is bbq'ing, i'll be working a sixth day this week for pepsi supplying the fun for you all...
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 10:57 PM

Nice call Duane. Too many people forget where holidays come from. I find too many people in Canada have no respect for rememberance day when it comes around every Nov. and it makes me sick. I'm no fan of war, but these holidays have nothing to do with Bush or the middle east. People need to think about all those who died to protect the freedoms that far too many people take for granted.

As an example, on Rememberance day you are supposed to stop for a minute of silence at 11am. A few years back when I was a manager at McDonalds i told my boss that I didn't care if we were busy I was going to stop and pay my respects to those fallen in war for ONE FUCKING MINUTE. He said I couldn't because customers were in a rush. I didn't care and come 11:00 I stopped and bowed my head. I had customers in line yelling at me to take their orders and threatening to make a complaint to head office. When the minute was up I calmly told people why I had stopped and some understood. Most didn't. They couldn't be bothered to take ONE FUCKING MINUTE out of the year to pay respect. Fuck them.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
KyleOz
* CHOPS OF DOOM *

Mood: Social Distortion

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 11:20 PM

What kills me is cleaning the gang grafitti off of the war monuments all summer.

People have no respect.

Johnnynewbreed pretty much covered how I feel too.

angus yeoman: what are cats supposed to do? distract you from the fact that you\'re distracted by everything else?

http://www.myspace.com/kyleoz
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-30-2005 at 08:08 AM

Since the birth of the United States of American on July 4, 1776, no single generation of Americans has been spared the responsibility of defending freedom by force of arms. More than 42 Million American men and women have served in time of war...more than a MILLION have purchased freedom with their lives. Below are statistics from the US Department of Veterans Affairs detailing the war service and sacrifice of America's sons and daughters.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Todd

[*] posted on 5-31-2005 at 09:29 AM

Thanks Duane. I hope someday i become as nice a motherfucker as you are. I teared up all weekend watching the memorial stuff. There is nothing more frightening to me than the idea of running toward people or things that are trying to kill you, whether you're a cop, a fireman, or a soldier. It makes me feel better about humanity when I see "ordinary" people doing extraordinary things, like fighting for me so that I can sit in my house and be a dick on the Thorp board. I tried to enlist after September 11 as a medic but they wouldn't take me because of my mental health "issues". Man, am I an asshole...
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-31-2005 at 10:12 PM

Our family has a very active military history, but that was not anything I ever wanted anything to do with. I am grateful to those in the military who have the balls to do what they do, cause god knows i don't think i do.

Todd

[*] posted on 5-31-2005 at 10:20 PM

I wanted to try to put back together the men and women who had the sac to stand up and fucking fight. I don't give a fuck if you're american, iraqi, or from mars, if you have the guts to fight to the death, you're ok in my book. i sent you a u2u
viva hate

Mood: choking victim

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 11:44 AM

i think this is the best thread.

let\'s scrub that sensitivity with some sandpaper....
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 12:20 PM

I think of all wars the U.S. has fought it's amazing that WWII had the most casualties. It's a realistic issue when you make weapons like jet fighters, submarines, machine guns and other mass killing weapons that more and more people will die. Especially when they have to be on the frontline of fire like they were. I am worried about North Korea and what they are capable of.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-29-2006 at 09:43 PM

lest we forget.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 5-29-2006 at 10:37 PM

I marched in our memorial day parade as a AuxilarySheriff Deputy. it was hot as fuck and I carried a M1 rifle. Fucker was heavy, but it felt really good being apart of it. Alot of people turned out.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 5-29-2006 at 10:55 PM

From my great grandfathers tour in WW2. He's still going strong, but time is definetly creeping up on him. We get breakfast everyweek or so if possible.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-29-2006 at 11:22 PM

barc0debaby, thanks for posting those pics.

clevo, glad to hear you enjoyed the parade. were there many old timers in attendance?

upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 07:55 AM

That is a wicked picture, it says everything. Everything that is wrong with our society.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 08:17 AM

Just another reason why you guys rule so much. Trust me, as a member of the military and a veteran of foreign war I can speak for others like me when I say we appreciate the fact that what we do is appreciated. Thank you again. And always remember the sacrifice of those over there right now as we speak (or type) struggling to survive on a daily basis with things like the births of their children and such happening back here while they do their job.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
barc0debaby, thanks for posting those pics.

clevo, glad to hear you enjoyed the parade. were there many old timers in attendance?

^^^^^^^^^^^ Ya their were many old timers and they were all dressed in lodge uniforms or wearing some sort of Military badges and hats. It was great. People were saluting me when I should have been saluting them. Now that I look at it as I was saluting them. The parade was for them. I understand what it is they were doing. It was a rally cry for fallin comrads and the ones who survived. It was for our country. People were crying, and most were smiling. It warmed the heart, and felt good to participate with the Sheriff's department.

On those pictures those were great.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 11:07 AM

It's fleet week here, and my sister and her family came down here on Saturday from CT. We wanted to check out some of the ships in the harbor, but we go there just as they stopped letting people on the ships for tours. We went on the USS Intrepid instead. It was lots of fun, and I hope to check out a few of the ships later this week.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 08:19 AM

This is from yesterday's Philly Inquirer

---
Head Strong | Unexpected Memorial Day lesson from decorated Marine

By Michael Smerconish

I thought I had a great idea for a Memorial Day Weekend column. I believe that the men currently fighting in Iraq are an unheralded bunch no less deserving of our thanks and praise than those of the so-called greatest generation who fought World War II.

My plan was to contact some of the highest profiles of that generation and see whether they agreed. I had in mind men like Bob Dole, who, as a member of the Army's 10th Mountain Division, tried to rescue one of his platoon's radio men while fighting in the hills of Italy, and almost paid with his life; or "Wild Bill" Guarnere of Easy Company, a D-Day hero immortalized by historian Stephen Ambrose in his book Band of Brothers.

I hoped they'd share a few stories, praise fellow soldiers, and offer a word of remembrance.

That was the plan. Except I never got past the first interview.

I started and ended with Jack Lucas. Lucas became known to me when I visited the USS Iwo Jima last October while she sailed in the Persian Gulf. I was a military tourist, and on landing aboard ship by helicopter, I found myself on what's called the Jack Lucas Airfield. Naturally I inquired: Who is/was Jack Lucas? Well, shame on me for not knowing his story.

Jack Lucas remains the youngest recipient of the Medal of Honor since the Civil War. Today he is 79. But he was recognized for his conduct at age 17. Lucas finagled his way into the Marines when he was just 14 by forging his mother's signature on the consent papers. Six days after his 17th birthday, he threw himself on top of two grenades to save three fellow Marines. He was one of 22 Marines to receive the Medal of Honor for service at Iwo Jima.

"I was fortunate that one was a dud. The other tore me up pretty bad but I survived it, and so did the three men who were with me, and they enjoyed a full life," he told me this past week. When the war ended, and his body had healed, Lucas kept a promise made to his mother upon enlistment: He returned to high school (ninth grade), now sporting a Medal of Honor and driving an Oldsmobile convertible!

All of which is column-worthy in itself. But things got even more interesting when I said to him: "You know, Mr. Lucas, we think of you as a member of the greatest generation, and as I become more familiar with the gentlemen who have given their lives in the war in Iraq, I believe that they, too, are a great generation."

As expected, Jack Lucas agreed with me. But then he offered a 10-minute discourse on Iraq, which was not what I expected from this larger-than-life Marine.

He began by reminding me that, in the Second World War, 400,000 young men lost their lives and an additional 900,000 were wounded. He thought that was a horrible price to pay, but necessary because we'd been attacked. Vietnam and Korea, by contrast, were wars that were "really not necessary" but were "brought upon us by politicians who thought we needed to go to war. We were not attacked.

"Each life given for America is most valuable, and most precious, and I do not want to put that down. But for comparison, consider the viciousness of World War II: We lost 5,320 men in the first two days of combat at Iwo Jima. And in just 36 days, 6,820 men killed at Iwo Jima and 19,000 wounded. Just 36 days.

"In Iraq, we are going on five years, and lost 3,300 men and 25,000 wounded. So you see the difference in the violence of the war."

On Iraq, Jack Lucas was just getting started.

He recognized that Saddam Hussein was a dictator, albeit not one who attacked us, and who possessed no weapons of mass destruction.

"We have gone in and caused our young men to lose their lives.

"Our men are very precious, and we don't need to be losing lives for something we should not be in the first place: Iraq."

Lucas bristled at the notion that Iran may be a future point of conflict, and argued that if we'd kept Saddam Hussein in power, he'd be dealing with Iran, and we wouldn't have to.

He told me about a trip he'd taken to Bethesda Naval Hospital, where he saw young men with no arms and legs: "It makes me sick." He deemed it "heartbreaking" and "unnecessary."

"We should have gone into Afghanistan with sufficient troops, and got bin Laden, and wiped out al-Qaeda, and crushed the Taliban," he said, before finally pausing to catch his breath. When he did so, I remembered the initial purpose of my call.

"Mr. Lucas," I said. "Do you agree that the service of these men is no less noble than your own?"

"You got that exactly right," he said with authority. "And I do not want to equate it otherwise. Everyone who serves this great nation, in peacetime as well as wartime, are our most noble young people, and we do cherish them, and want to look out for our young men.

"And when we want to get them out of harm's way, people want to call us 'liberal' or 'pantywaist,' and I ain't never been no pantywaist, but I want my boys out of Iraq."

Lucas' message for Memorial Day?

"Just remember all of the young people who lost their lives in this great country, everybody, and bow your heads, and think about them, and inscribe their names on your hearts."

All the while Lucas spoke, I was thinking of a friend who told me that wars are fought by people who are infinitely wiser and braver than the people who start them.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 11:01 AM

^Wow.

You know, I'm a cynical bastard. Especially when it comes to warfare. Even WWII these days. Politicians sometimes do shit because they deem it necessary. Hitler was an evil that had to be destroyed... but look what we got after? The threat of nuclear annihilation from the "good guys" of the same said war.

Especially wars after WWII I'm skeptical about it. No, not skeptical, I down right refuse to believe that the Iraq war is about my freedom, neither was the first Gulf War, nor Vietnam or Korea. The troops, God bless 'em, believe that I'm sure. Go into it feeling that way. But we can't say that Bush initiated the Iraq War with our best interests in mind.

Mad respect to all our brothers and sisters who fight and die... for this country and for others. How many people fight because their country is invaded by a foreigner? How many Afghans fought and died when our's invaded? How many Iraqis are doing that right now? It's so easy to paint the "enemy" as evil and necessarily wrong... it certainly makes folks feel better... but Goddamn it they're just kids too fighting to protect all they know. Their politicians fucked them just as much as our's fuck our troops.

I appreciate the guys that put themselves in harm's way like that. I hate the government that calls the shots too much to do it, that's for damn sure.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top