Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Please remember that Memorial Day means more than just a three day weekend
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
wars are fought by people who are infinitely wiser and braver than the people who start them.

That about sums it up.

I was talking about this on my way to work today. How the responsibility lies with the citizens of every nation to ensure that the wars we send our young people to fight are just and warranted. They defend our freedoms but they also put their lives in our hands.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 11:48 AM

i"m glad BD reposts this each year.
People need to remember its not just another day off with pay.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 12:41 PM

that was an amazing article duane, thanks for posting that. i wish more people were intelligent enough to realize being against the war in no way means i don't feel for the people putting their lives on the line every day. and jeff is right, that line is perfect.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 02:09 PM

Beautiful day. Just got back from the Parade march for the Sheiffs Department. Alot of people turned out. It was very nice.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
I down right refuse to believe that the Iraq war is about my freedom, neither was the first Gulf War, nor Vietnam or Korea.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 04:06 PM

That's a fantastic article, thanks BD.

Veritas odium parit
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
i"m glad BD reposts this each year.
People need to remember its not just another day off with pay.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 05:25 PM

I support this thread 100%

MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 09:51 AM

This weeked got me thinking of those who are attending family gatherings (as I did), and enjoying the time. While others are mourning the loss of a relative or an old friend. I always try to celebrate memorial day. Be thankful for those who gave their life to try and preserve the good nature and who put their lives in harms way so America could find a brighter day than the one before.

But year after year I find myself saddend. It reminds me of how self absorbed we are. I love the United States. I absolutely love this country. But I look around at how we as people treat each other, and what our government is doing to us now (what we are allowing), and the echo of a nation that they fought for all those years ago, its dying. It really saddens me.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-26-2008 at 12:26 PM

that picture still chokes me up, three years after the original post.
damn, that's a strong image.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-26-2008 at 12:28 PM

Ya me too.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-26-2008 at 12:29 PM
Old soldiers prepare for a fading away

A Southwest Phila. VFW post faces what could be its final Memorial Day commemoration.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080526_Old_sol...

By Martha Woodall
Inquirer Staff Writer

The big Memorial Day observance at the Anthony and Harry Faustino VFW Post 6621 in Southwest Philadelphia once drew 50 veterans, women's auxiliary members, and their families to a prayer ceremony, a parade to Mass at the now-closed Our Lady of Loreto Catholic Church, and a party with games, prizes and hot dogs for the young ones.

But this morning's modest Memorial Day ceremony may be the post's last.

Commandant Frank Gagliardi and Ralph Christy, the quartermaster, will mark the day by bringing the post's big wreaths decorated with flags and red-white-and-blue plastic flowers down from the second-floor meeting room and placing them in front of a soldiers memorial across the street.

The post, which World War II veterans established on April 17, 1946, and which once had more than 130 members, has dwindled to 18. Most, like Gagliardi and Christy, are older than 80. And they have decided to sell the building at 61st Street and Grays Avenue where they used to gather for pinochle and gin rummy and to drink and socialize at the 18-stool bar.

"Right now, I've been doing all the work," said Gagliardi, a retired Westinghouse engineer who still lives next door - in the house where he was born - and who takes care of the post. "I can't do it much any more. I'll be 85.

"At least I can go up and down the stairs," he added with a laugh.

"There are only three or four of us in the area," said Christy, a retired hospital food-service director who worked at Aramark for 38 years and who now lives in Clifton Heights. "It's a shame, but it's the way life goes. You can't stick around forever."

The club's demise reflects the shrinking population of World War II veterans nationwide. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has estimated that of the 16 million men and women who served in the war, 2.8 million were alive in September, including 160,953 in Pennsylvania and 82,566 in New Jersey.

By this September, the department projects the number of veterans will have dropped to 141,265 in Pennsylvania and 72,065 in New Jersey.

The Faustino VFW Post is named for two first cousins from the Southwest Philadelphia neighborhood who died during World War II.

Army Pfc. Harry F. Faustino, a former manager of a Gray's Ferry nightclub, was wounded four times during the 10 months he spent in Europe in 1944 and 1945, before he was killed in France on March 15, 1945, according to newspaper accounts from the time. He was 27 and had been awarded the Purple Heart with three oak leaf clusters and the Silver Star. The clippings did not provide information about Anthony Faustino's death.

Gagliardi, who enlisted in the Army in March 1943, became a platoon staff sergeant. By the time he was discharged in September 1945 he had been awarded a Bronze Service Star for each of the five major campaigns fought in Europe, a Silver Star, a Purple Heart with two oak leaf clusters, and a Combat Infantry Badge.

Christy, who has known Gagliardi since they were boys together on 61st Street, served in the U.S. Navy as a first-class commissary steward for the Navy's amphibious forces in Europe.

Although the post membership roster included some veterans from the Korean War and a few from the Vietnam War, Christy and Gagliardi said most members were World War II vets. Their numbers started to decline in the 1980s and early 1990s.

"We didn't get any of the Gulf War veterans," Gagliardi said. "From that point on, we started to lose membership. When I say lose - from death."

The building is not listed with a real estate agent, but he said that people know it's available.

After the post bought the former sandwich shop for $11,000 in the 1950s, he said substantial renovations were made, including putting in tile bathrooms, wood paneling and drop ceilings, and installing a custom-made bar.

Gagliardi, who spent 37 years designing steam turbines at Westinghouse's plant in Essington, drew up the plans.

During a tour yesterday, he pointed out the jukebox in the bar. It still works, he said. And though it has some songs from more recent decades, including 1976's "Disco Inferno" by the Trammps and the Spinners' 1980 version of "Working My Way Back to You," the play list leans toward classics by Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett.

Gagliardi reached into a closet and carefully unfurled the post's blue-and-gold banner with golden fringe.

"This is our flag," he said. "It's a beautiful flag. We had this one made. I forget how many hundreds of dollars [it cost]. We did everything right."

He added: "I don't know what we're going to do with this stuff. You spend a lot of money on it, but nobody wants it."

Another post, he said, has expressed interest in the soldiers memorial.

"We're not the first veterans club that closed down," Gagliardi observed. "I feel bad, but it happens."

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-26-2008 at 12:31 PM
On Memorial Day, a wounded vet's journey back

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080526_On_Memo...

By Michael Vitez
Inquirer Staff Writer

Raymond D. Hennagir tightened the screws of his prosthetic legs yesterday and adjusted the suction pump so they would fit snugly. Then the Marine corporal from Deptford, injured last summer in Iraq, stood and walked.
He stands 5-foot-9, the same height he was before he was blown up. He says he can walk now for 16 minutes, and he's down to using just one cane. He's determined to shed that one, too, as his balance improves.

Hennagir has also, in the last few months, skied in Vail, Colo., driven a BMW 650 with hand controls at a performance-driving school in South Carolina, been pushed in New York's St. Patrick's Day parade in his wheelchair by another Iraq War veteran who lost both his legs, and been treated to a week in Disney World by the New York Fire Department.

And on June 8, he's getting married.

"Everything's going great," he said yesterday over breakfast at a diner in Woodbury.

Nearly a year has passed since June 16, 2007, when Hennagir, a combat engineer, stepped on an improvised explosive device near the end of his second tour in Iraq and lost both legs above the knee and four fingers of his left hand.

The young Marine spent July and August convalescing at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., but his goal the entire time was to heal enough to be able to return to Camp LeJeune, N.C., by the end of August, when his platoon was coming home form Iraq.

He felt he had let them down by being injured, and wanted to be there to greet them. He made it, and his story was chronicled in The Inquirer.

He has been living at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, since September, getting therapy every morning. His spirits are good, his convalescence progressing, and he has decided, he says, to become a fourth-grade teacher.

"I want to move back here," he said. "My dad has been looking around for a house for us to buy. Then I'd like to go to college and become a teacher."

Hennagir said he will marry Sherri Baskerville, his girlfriend for about six months before he was injured, in a small ceremony at Walter Reed. He plans to adopt Baskerville's daughter, Kelsey, and was wearing a "World's Greatest Dad" T-shirt yesterday.

Hennagir still keeps up with one good friend from his unit in Iraq, but most of his closest friends now are fellow injured veterans whom he has met and bonded with at Walter Reed. One of them, Kevin Hardin, 22, an Army medic for a platoon of tanks in the First Cavalry, drove Hennagir and Baskerville to South Jersey for the holiday weekend.

Hardin was injured when a rocket hit his humvee, "went through me and out the other side." His hands and arms were disfigured and four pieces of shrapnel have lodged in his brain.

"I had taught them everything I know medic-wise," Hardin said of his squad. "I'm just glad they paid attention because it paid off that day."

Hennagir and Hardin are among the 30,112 members of the U.S. military wounded in Iraq, according to Defense Department figures released last week. At least 4,080 military personnel have been killed there.

Neither Hennagir nor Hardin, during an interview at the diner, said they had special plans for Memorial Day, other than to relax and enjoy family before returning to Walter Reed for therapy tomorrow.

Repeatedly at the diner, guests and waitresses thanked them for their service to their country. The two men said they get that a lot, and don't mind it at all, in fact appreciate it.

Hennagir and Hardin said they still support the president and the war. When asked about the president's loss of support in the polls - primarily because of the war - Hardin expressed their position best: "Let somebody else try being president for a day. He's doing a great job."

Hennagir added: "Every president gets hated by the end of his term."

Later in the day, as he stood on his new legs at Baskerville's home in Westville, Hennagir pulled up his T-shirt and revealed a tattoo under construction on his back. He came up with the idea, and already has endured about 10 sittings, with three more to go.

The tattoo will depict him and fellow combat engineer Scott Norris in a cloud of smoke, getting blown up by the IED.

In the sky above them, on one side, will be the angel of death coming in to sweep them away. On the other side, in the sky, will be four angels in chariots coming to rescue them. Norris was also badly injured in the explosion and is recovering in Texas.

"The tattoo is a memorial for my Alive Day," Hennagir said. He explained that many injured Iraq war veterans call the day they were blown up their Alive Day.

"It's like a second birthday," Hennagir said. "They shouldn't have made it but they did."

joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

Mood: pissed off

[*] posted on 5-26-2008 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
that picture still chokes me up, three years after the original post.
damn, that's a strong image.

that's my first time seeing it and i'm not sure why. but thanks for posting this BD. that and you've posted some great/wise comments in this thread as i've read through it.

Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-26-2008 at 04:31 PM

i wish i could see my friend again... :(

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/3939636.html

http://www.ketv.com/news/9792648/detail.html

Quote:
Priscilla Debro said her son chose to go to Iraq to let others stay home with their families.

"'Mom, I'm going because there are other men who have families.'
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-26-2008 at 04:39 PM

sorry for your loss, murk.
from the photo in the first link, germaine looked like a fun guy.

are you in touch with his family at all?
all the best to them from the thorp board.

barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 5-26-2008 at 11:18 PM

It means alot to see you guys showing love. Especially for someone like me who has a serious inner struggle going on as far as moral and political views. I feel like a tool everytime I turn on the tv and see the bullshit these politicians and bloodsucking corporations ruining the country, or hear some jerkoff high ranking officer giving us a generic speech about terrorists hating our freedom. But when regular everyday people just say a simple thank you that shit nearly tears me up and puts things in perspective.
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
It means alot to see you guys showing love. Especially for someone like me who has a serious inner struggle going on as far as moral and political views. I feel like a tool everytime I turn on the tv and see the bullshit these politicians and bloodsucking corporations ruining the country, or hear some jerkoff high ranking officer giving us a generic speech about terrorists hating our freedom. But when regular everyday people just say a simple thank you that shit nearly tears me up and puts things in perspective.

i tend to agree with you and it's hard to forget that people like voodoo aren't in charge and are just following orders and doing what they're told. he doesn't want to be there. he has a wife and kid and now a baby on the way. that's who we thank. not those who send our boys/girls off to die while sitting behind a desk but those that put their life on the line every single day they are over there. never forget that man.

Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joemaconmovies
Quote:

i tend to agree with you and it's hard to forget that people like voodoo aren't in charge and are just following orders and doing what they're told. he doesn't want to be there. he has a wife and kid and now a baby on the way. that's who we thank. not those who send our boys/girls off to die while sitting behind a desk but those that put their life on the line every single day they are over there. never forget that man.

I don't want anyone thinking I am some kind of pawn, you can keep that shit to yourselves. I have been around the block long enough to know theres more to it than that. I am not some mindless drone serving the "Evil Administrations Corporate Interests".
I do what I do for personal reasons. Although I do agree the powers that be have made poor decisions, i find it hard to consider myself a tool when I deploy to a region of the world that has just seen apocolyptic like disaster and we are there at the behest of those same leaders to simply transport life saving supplies in and wounded out to one of our floating hospitals. Remember, not all we do is war Barcode, just ask any sailor that responded after Katrina. Alot of younger sailors I have spoken to that have been involved in emergency response humanitarian assistance type missions have a whole different view of what it is they do and who it is they do it for. I hope you are able to experience something that gives you the much deserved self worth of serving in the US Navy and leaves little doubt about your choice to serve. I do understand the inner struggle, I dealt with mine in my own way and not everyday is a bed of roses as you and I well know. Try to find some nobility in it, it's their, forget those ignorant FTN types that close off to it right away and get one track minded about it all. Much love to all who serve in any branch of military or public service.
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
Quote:
Quote:

I don't want anyone thinking I am some kind of pawn, you can keep that shit to yourselves. I have been around the block long enough to know theres more to it than that. I am not some mindless drone serving the "Evil Administrations Corporate Interests".
I do what I do for personal reasons. Although I do agree the powers that be have made poor decisions, i find it hard to consider myself a tool when I deploy to a region of the world that has just seen apocolyptic like disaster and we are there at the behest of those same leaders to simply transport life saving supplies in and wounded out to one of our floating hospitals. Remember, not all we do is war Barcode, just ask any sailor that responded after Katrina. Alot of younger sailors I have spoken to that have been involved in emergency response humanitarian assistance type missions have a whole different view of what it is they do and who it is they do it for. I hope you are able to experience something that gives you the much deserved self worth of serving in the US Navy and leaves little doubt about your choice to serve. I do understand the inner struggle, I dealt with mine in my own way and not everyday is a bed of roses as you and I well know. Try to find some nobility in it, it's their, forget those ignorant FTN types that close off to it right away and get one track minded about it all. Much love to all who serve in any branch of military or public service.

I didn't mean to imply that you were a mindless drone. Only that you are not the one over there making the big decisions. I meant no offense by it man. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't mean to imply that you were a mindless drone. Only that you are not the one over there making the big decisions. I meant no offense by it man. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

Not at all Joe, this was for my shipmate Barcode.
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 10:24 AM

ok

upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 05:00 PM

I'm a bit late, but hat's off (literally) to all you men and women in uniform. I've lost 6 friends in Afghanistan to date. This shit's real, and it ain't gonna' go away. Stay safe.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 07:22 AM

interesting article about the search for dead soldiers in eastern europe:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080712/ap_on_re_eu/east_europe_...

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 07:59 PM

I found this video on youtube, and this seemed like the appropriate thread in which to share it. It's of a vet who visited the South Vietnam National Military Cemetery in 1994. My Dad and I went there on our trip. He made a point to visit the cemetery to honor all of the South Vietnamese soldiers who died, and because he's upset over the cemetery's condition and he feels that those soldiers deserve better. We took photos when we were there, but they don't do it any justice compared to this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZufxFbLH5BE
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top