Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Uppercut / Killing Time show was amazing
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 03:09 AM
The Uppercut / Killing Time show was amazing

That is all.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 03:09 AM

oh, and you'd probably like to know that freddy madball came out for the second song and sang 'fools die'.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 09:10 AM

Sweet show. There were even a few fights! haha

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 09:36 AM

To me, bands like Uppercut and Killing Time define hardcore. As a young scenester commin' up in the late 80s and early 90s, I listened to their records every day; they provided me with a personal soundtrack for most of the last half of my life. Obviously, one's enthusiasm for a band has a lot to do with one's emotional attachment to the music, so last night's show was just as much about the memories as it was the songs.

But that very fact makes me wonder if younger people in attendance appreciate it as much. Moron, That's Life, how did you feel about the show? Were you really feelin' it, or was it more of just an interesting historical foot note to see some legendary old-timers on stage?

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 09:57 AM

I know I wasnt feeling it on the same level as you, but I was into it. Moreso that just viewing it as "Im witnessing history" thing.

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 09:59 AM

I thought it was funny that Killing Time would play one song where the entire place would light up, and then the next song everyone would just stand there. Then the next song bodies would be flying around again. Either people have obvious preferences for particular songs/albums or lots of people (including me) didnt know all of the songs they played.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 10:15 AM

Brightside = mosh
The Method = not so mosh

To be fair, The Method has plenty of good songs, but Brightside is a classic NYHC album. I always thought Anthony had one of the best voices in hardcore, and he certainly did not disappoint last night.

Hearing Am I Clear from Uppercut was great. "I guess you could say this next one is like our Freebird." Although, I could have lived without them sneaking that Mind's Eye song in there. I could NOT get into that band's album!

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 01:57 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I gotta move to NY.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 06:19 PM

Ya ditto on the NYC thing. Nothing in clevo even compares to NYC. I'm with you on the KILLINGTIME brightside thing. I can recite almost all words from that album. I never even bought the method. I heard it a few times and it was ok but for some reason I never picked it up. Dude Anthony's voice is wayyyyy awsome. He's got that "I'm going to blow out my voice box by the end of the show" type growl.
blackoutnyhc

Mood: your mom scream in ecstasy

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
Ya ditto on the NYC thing. Nothing in clevo even compares to NYC. I'm with you on the KILLINGTIME brightside thing. I can recite almost all words from that album. I never even bought the method. I heard it a few times and it was ok but for some reason I never picked it up. Dude Anthony's voice is wayyyyy awsome. He's got that "I'm going to blow out my voice box by the end of the show" type growl.

OK. Now I know that the Happy Hour 7" disappointed alot of people, but the Method IS an amazing record. The band, in fact, likes it better than Brightside. It's really just as powerful as the debut- just a tiny bit more intricate. But songs like "Personal Hardcore" and "Used To It" rip in the same way as that old style. Listen to Used To It and tell me it doesn't get the blood boiling like the Brightside album.

Although the reviews were pretty excellent on it, THE METHOD never really got it's due, primarily becuase fact that KT broke up (again) about 2 days after it came out and played like 1 show on it. Plus NYHC at the time was in one of those "low" periods where the harder stuff was being rejected in favor of the more Epitaph-y sounds.

I too was at the show last night. I can honestly say that I haven't seen them tighter since the early 90's. For me it was great to see alot of faces I haven't seen in forever. I cannot wait for part deux on Sunday- we're filiming it same way we did the Sheer Terror DVD.

Oh, and Freddy was great during Fools Die.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 10:28 PM

blackoutnyhc is right. if i seperate myself from my emotional attachment to brightside, and listen to both albums back to back, i do think the method sounds better. i like the slightly less intircate music on brightside, but anthony's voice (and the recording quality) is killer on the method. but no matter how good the album is, it isn't brightside. by the time the method came out (what, ten years after the fact?), almost every song on brightside had become a classic nyhc anthem, and that's a tough act to follow.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 10:50 PM

I never heard The Method cause I could never get a copy around here. Maybe I'll have to buy it online and check it out now.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
blackoutnyhc

Mood: your mom scream in ecstasy

[*] posted on 5-28-2005 at 01:03 PM

Yeah. I don't think I'm betraying anything confidential when I say they fell into the awful trap of writing songs, breaking up, getting back together and not releasing anything substantial for a long time. Had they done a record every year or so like SOIA and toured a bit they would have kept the momentum going- but they weren't really a "career" band. Regardless, the Method is still awesome. Emusic has it for download and if you're a subscriber you can get the tunes pretty inexpensively. Obviously I cannot condone taking it from a P2P.

---------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/blackoutrecords
http://www.blackoutrecords.com

May: Cranked Up! This is A Weapon
June: The Finale - Things Can Still Get Better
July: Crime In Stereo- The Contract EP
July: The Commericals/ Shadow Agency- Split EP

Go To Top