Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: weird observation about bands and record labels
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 06:40 PM
weird observation about bands and record labels

Merauder had this issue earlier this year, and now WISDOM IN CHAINS is right now. Not one BESTBUY, HOTTOPIC or every single local record store in my area carry it. throughout the nation not a single BEST BUY or HOT TOPIC got one delivered to any store. Dude from bestbuy even showed me the website info of the release. Not one order. The only way to get it is through the website. What the fuck happened to buying a cd at the store? Merauder the band ended because the record did so bad. Its a shame because it was that good. Hate to see a band like WIC have any issues because of this.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 06:50 PM

I'm pretty sure you have to sell multiple thousands of records to get into Best Buy. Hot Topic I think it's based on region. I could be wrong, but I think there are certain chains that are good for hardcore and punk and others that won't touch the bands because they know it'll sit around forever.

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 06:53 PM

Did you check any indie retailers?
Personally, I wouldn't expect to find Merauder or WIC at Best Buy OR Hot Topic.

The situation you're experiencing has less to do with bands and labels than it does the music industry as a whole and mainstream retail outlets specifically.

Bottom line... the music business sucks.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 07:40 PM

unrelated.... why dont they have the REFUSE RESIST or any THORP/SAILORS GRAVE titles in stock at Armageddon Shop in Providence??

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 09:17 PM

Distribution is a two way street.
Just cause our distributor is getting it out, doesn't mean a store is taking it in.
If you don't see something you want at your local indie retailer, ASK THEM to get it!
Not every buyer at every store is as down as we'd like them to be!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 09:20 PM

There's this one thing called the internet (and an even older thing called mailorder). Why are we looking for HC CD's in Bestbuy?
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 09:44 PM

There's shit in Best Buy I would expect to see even less that Merauder.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 09:57 PM

I have no doubt CD's creep in their through distribution channels but I'd never expect to find anything newly released there like it was the new Taylor Swift.
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 10:16 PM

Big Brother is trying to silence the truth in good music through terrible distribution.

I don't think Merauder broke up, they are touring with Entombed and working on new material from what I've read.

Weirdest best buy cd experience.......I have found every Against All Authority stocked at best buy.
Barnesey

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 10:28 PM

It's all up to the buyer for the store. If they don't wanna stock it, they don't. Really, it's not worth dealing with these major chains. You get so many fees, returns, etc. in the end, you're not making a dime. As far as Indie retailers, if you don't ask for it, they're not going to stock it unless they like the band or know it will sell. With cd's, I'm surprised anyone is even pressing them any longer. They'll be going the way of the 8 track soon.

Live Fast Die Young
Push It To The Limit \'Til The Coffin Calls
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 10:30 PM

My favorite record store is soulseek.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 10:39 PM

BEST BUY in my area has had a good history of carrying decent shit. Many of it surprised the heck out a few times. Shit they had COLD AS LIFE back in 99 and I bought it even though I already had the cd. Just to support. I got both my RIGHTEOUS JAMS cd's there as well. And plenty of others.

I aint trying to rep the stores I am simply stating that things are a bit different especially when I would think bands like MERAUDER and WIC should be blowing up. It's crazy they are not and i would attribute it too the accessibility of the cd in many stores.

and the MERAUDER thing was a statement by Jorge in myspace about them playing shows outside the US that they had committed to and then it was over for them. I hope they figure something out and stay together as I am a fan, but he was pretty straight up about selling all the shirts and extra shit they had on hand and ending it, but what do I know.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Barnesey

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
BEST BUY in my area has had a good history of carrying decent shit. Many of it surprised the heck out a few times. Shit they had COLD AS LIFE back in 99 and I bought it even though I already had the cd. Just to support. I got both my RIGHTEOUS JAMS cd's there as well. And plenty of others.

I aint trying to rep the stores I am simply stating that things are a bit different especially when I would think bands like MERAUDER and WIC should be blowing up. It's crazy they are not and i would attribute it too the accessibility of the cd in many stores.

and the MERAUDER thing was a statement by Jorge in myspace about them playing shows outside the US that they had committed to and then it was over for them. I hope they figure something out and stay together as I am a fan, but he was pretty straight up about selling all the shirts and extra shit they had on hand and ending it, but what do I know.

Usually a chain store like Best Buy goes by what the previous sales have been for the band's previous releases. If they didn't sell enough, they will not bring it in. Even buyers at smaller chain stores like Newbury Comics, Amoeba, Dimple, Music Millennium, etc go by that system. Regain Records uses KOCH distribution so these bigger chains' buyers are definitely aware of the releases and have chosen not to bring them in. Alot of people want to point fingers at a label or distributor for "poor distribution" but alot of it lays in the buyer's hands. All you can do as a distro is make them aware of the release and try to sway them to buy it if they're unsure.

Live Fast Die Young
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 01:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks for clarifying, I thought I read something to that effect but wasn't sure how legit it was. The world definetly needs more merauder.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 09:42 AM

Wanting an indie band like that to be in Best Buy is wishing them bad luck. I know that sounds strange on the surface but look at it this way..... Best Buy isn't gonna order 5 copies, put one in your local store and have the other 4 in random stores. They're gonna order 2000 copies to fill their stores with a copy. So the label will have to come up with money they likely don't have to get those 2000 copies in print and sent to the stores. Then no one will buy it because most people don't shop in those bic box stores for indie music so they will return the CD's to the label 3 months later. Then the label is out the money to press 2000 CD's and they have 2000 more CD's than they need. The band has royalties withheld for returns. It's just an ugly mess.

I think Hot Topic is a bit different in that people look for indie bands there. But not NYHC.

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 09:47 AM

Less Hot Topics to fill than filling Best Buy stores as well. It is a more focused aucience as well. Where a Blood for Blood cd in a Hotp Topic (yeah, sounds funny) would be in the mix with Insane Clown Posse, Otep, Cradle of Filth, and Disturbed... in a best buy it is in the mix with.... EVERYTHING. A BIT more focused. lol

MikeFromInhuman
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 10:14 AM

Newsflash - Best Buy doesnt carry I Scream Records releases, neither does Hot Topic....trust me I fucking know!

And MERAUDER didnt break up.

barc0debaby
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 11:29 AM

Cool!
Barnesey

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XnMeX
Less Hot Topics to fill than filling Best Buy stores as well. It is a more focused aucience as well. Where a Blood for Blood cd in a Hotp Topic (yeah, sounds funny) would be in the mix with Insane Clown Posse, Otep, Cradle of Filth, and Disturbed... in a best buy it is in the mix with.... EVERYTHING. A BIT more focused. lol

Hot Topic still orders the numbers Rob is talking about. I've worked for distributors before that just didn't end up filling Hot Topic orders because the label felt they would be hit with returns. Rob hit the nail on the head.

Live Fast Die Young
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 05:28 PM

Barnesey and Mark are right on the money when it comes to the chains.

Add to what Mark said about Best Buy the fact that IF they decide to take your CDs, you then have to pay them to do so. Literally; there is a per-unit fee specific to certain retailers that must be paid if they take your stuff. So you're paying extra for the right to get your CDs into a chain where very few people will be looking for your releases only to then have to deal with massive returns. Not fucking worth it (in many cases).

Hot Topic at least has a good knowledge of their market and their customers. They know what will sell and will stock regionally. We've done a few exclusive tshirt designs with them in the past that have done really well.

thedog
Posting Freak

Mood: Deals Gone Bad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman
Newsflash - Best Buy doesnt carry I Scream Records releases, neither does Hot Topic....trust me I fucking know!

And MERAUDER didnt break up.

i didnt order it from them, but they have it listed online....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Everything+You+Know+-+CD/9558864...

\"thank you very little\"
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 10:40 PM

Most of the cool record store I used to go to have closed. There's one or two good ones left, but it requires me to go downtown which I hate doing. Ever since I discovered the joy that is online shopping I never looked back. I don't have to leave the house and I can buy directly from the band or the label. Cuts out the middleman a lot of the times, it's cheaper even with exchange rates and shipping, and most of all I know the money is going to the right people.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’

Go To Top