Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: treadmill and running/jogging
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 08:15 PM
treadmill and running/jogging

I just basically jogged and briskly walked a mile on a treadmill in under 15min. I wasn't pushing myself much, totally recovered in minutes. So I probably could've done more running running in less time. I jogged half a mile and brisk walked the beginning and ending quarters.

Just wondering, what do some of you aveage? Especially CR83, I figure you know this stuff and what "should" be for a 30 year old.

barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 11-23-2009 at 09:53 PM

About 14:30 is satisfactory for naval standards for 30-34 on a mile and a half.

I'm assuming somewhere around 10-11 minutes would be the standard for a mile at that age.

I'm 22 and my time is usually in the 8's, with my best being 6:30.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 05:47 PM

I'm gonna have to push myself and see what I can do as my best. There's no real reason I should be able to do it, considering I don't really run at all and don't do much other than baguazhang circle walking and qigong(chi kung).

mattybar

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 06:38 AM

i'm 32 and have been running on a treadmill once a wek for about two years now i guess.

i usually do about 3 to 5km each time and it takes me on average about 6-7 minutes for each km.

i try to vary the speed though so i might do the first kilometre at 10.5, then down to 6 for a minute to get a drink of water, then another kilometre at 11, break, next km at 11.5 and so on.

it's good to do little bursts of sprinting in there too, so go at a steady pace for 5 minutes, then really up the speed so you're actually running as fast as you can handle and keep that for as long as possible, then back to the steady pace to recover.

make sure you stretch your legs and back before and after running.
i often get a feeling of pressure on my lower back when running on the treadmill.
when i run outside in the park or on the street though i feel it in my shins and if it's cold in my chest.

how long have you been doing cki kung out of interest?
i've dabbled with it a couple of times (8 pieces of brocade or whatever it's called) but never stuck it out long enough to really feel the benefit.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 04:41 PM

I've been doing qigong for close to 10 years now. At first it was stuff picked up from a book, but then I started doing Ba Gua Zhang and a more "internal" style of Shaolin kung fu. Ba Gua involves a ton of steady walking in a circle with qigong breathing, as well as forms done on the circle.

mattybar

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 01:39 PM

a guy at my work does Ba Gua.
i keep meaning to ask him about it.

i been doing Wing Chun for about 3 years now but i really slacked off this year.
Only been about 8 months out of the year but i'm gonna start training twice a week again in the new year.

one of the guys at my Wing Chun class was really into tai chi and qi gong.
he did some charity work to raise money for victims of that huge fucking earrthquake in China last year and it was basically him doing a display of a load of hard qi gong... wire tied round his neck with ten people pulling on it, spears and knives dug into his throat and chest but not breaking the skin.

really fucking intense.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-17-2009 at 12:06 AM

Cool. Yeah, I'm not the best Ba Gua student, honestly. I try to do something every day but it's never super intense... though I'm trying to get my shit together in that regard. Once I get some steady cash flow again I'm going to join a boxing gym and then I do seminars with my Ba Gua teacher. He lives in California, so one of us has to fly for it. But it's free, which you really can't beat. Love of the art and all.

Hard qigong is a trip man. Ever seen dudes swinging weights off their junk? There's a guy in China commonly referred to in my circle of friends as "Iron Crotch," he and his students pull big trucks and airliners from time to time.

CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 07:56 PM

TOTALLY snoozed on this thread, sorry Dave.

Averages for running are really tough. There just isn't the perfect answer. Let you body really tell you what is good and what isn't. As long as your joints don't hurt, keep pushing yourself.

The main thing I would want to know is, what are you trying to get out of your workouts? Build muscle? Lose fat? From there we can figure some things out for you.

Just let me know man and again, sorry I snoozed on this.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 11:47 PM

It's all good CR. I'm just trying to get into a general good physical condition. Trim off a few pounds, lose a little belly fat and build a little muscle.

CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 12-24-2009 at 02:58 PM

Check your u2u's Dave. Thanks!

Go To Top