Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A question for Americans.
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 01:30 AM
A question for Americans.

I am curious so I have to ask a question and it is not meant to be a shot at America as I have many good friends that are American.

Why do you constantly feel the need to help out other countries before you help out your own? A generalized question indeed, just looking for the boards thoughts and opinions on this matter. I see the amount of time and money and the insane amount of effort that has gone into helping Hattie and it seems far superior then anything you have ever done to help your own citizens. Your country has fallen on hard times, people in America have lost everything from houses, to families to lives. Those are the people you should be helping. Just my two cents.

BKT.

MikeResist

Mood: Everything

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 01:39 AM

You're right in a sense. We responded faster to Haiti then we did when hurricane Katrina hit. We should have had a fast response but then again we had George W Bush as president.

BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 01:41 AM

You have also spent more time and money on Haiti then you have spent on the victims families of 911. Its fucking insane.

BKT.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 02:18 AM

I have no fucking clue. I think its guilt.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 02:22 AM

This thread is spot on :D It's easy to bring up Katrina and blame Bush but there's so many other instances where Americans are left behind while helping others. You can look on the streets in any major city or all the people who lost houses when the banks fucked everyone over. Obama gave billions to the banks, the people are homeless, the government will never see the money again.

It's a fucked up system that I wish would just crumble once & for all so it can be replaced. America needs a Revolution and 2009 was the closest it got in a very long time but fizzled out far too quickly.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 07:12 AM

It's all a PR move. We're compassionate didn't you know!!

Plus, the tin foil hatter in me thinks it's easier to hide where the money is not going when you're not sending it to somewhere else. It's terrible what happened there, but you could rebuild that whole island for $17.50 and we're going to send a billion.

The whole thing needs to be broken down and started over, but it wont and we'll keep pretending like Democrats and Republicans are different because one likes Jesus more or spends OUR fucking money different.

wez138

Mood: TMMB's.

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 08:18 AM

Blame world trade.

Living a life kept shut by a dream,
I'm reaching out to grasp my reality.
Hands of time wrap tight around my neck, and hit me so hard,
leaving me eyes black.
staring at a ceiling,
wondering why i never left,
penning words in a notebook,
wondering why haven't slept.
sanity is tapping in a cell
inside my fucking head.
begging for redemption
after hearing what was said.
the nights, they will not sleep
cause the days, have played for keeps.
frontsidedisaster

Mood: Teenage Head

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wez138
Blame world trade.

New World Order. It's real, fuckers. Wake up or enjoy your cage.
ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 08:50 AM

It's advertising at it's worst. Everyone "contributes" which translates into getting you into a store to buy more shit, then "donate" at the register. And, it gets the name of every big company who is donating time and money to "helping" cheaper advertising because it ends up in the news which everyone knows is so reliable over here. Ulterior motives are what keep the horrible economy barely afloat. This country is not that nice.

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 08:53 AM

I don't know why so much is handed out to others. I understand the compassion side of things but we need help here first and foremost. On the flipside if we didn't do as much we would be looked at as assholes. Lose and lose.
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 10:17 AM

yup we lose lose... damned if we “try” to help, damned if we ignore everyone else
world police and babysitters...

see but the thing is our politicians don't give a shit about anyone except the lobbyist giving them the money to have mistresses in Haiti...
they only go to Haiti for the drugs the booze and the women and “it’s so tragic”
if you don’t think so ask the people on that cruise ship…

and all the Sally Struthers aid agencies are no better...
all of our so-called great nonprofit groups,
yeah big fat paychecks get cut to the directors before any aid is sent anywhere
the nonprofit part is the joke… the employees are making a profit, the business isn’t

and since I live in the land of Katrina now...
all I can say is I really feel badly for the Haitians having to deal with our help... cause it's not going to be much help at all
oh they might have a cute photo-op of so and so star digging a child out of ruins
but what’s going to happen when we leave again?
All you have to do is come drive around NOLA, and see the damage that is still here.
We were already almost a 3rd world city before it hit…
And now it’s warzone in some places…
School buildings, fire houses, entire like 20 story buildings are all crumbling…
But where is the money to fix it?
How about in multimillion dollar campaigns to be the next mayor…

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 10:46 AM

I wasn't aware that this was the international perception.

Haiti isn't a US issue as much as it's a global issue. There was a team from Israel on the ground in Haiti before the there was US representation there so it isn't like the US is leading the way. Maybe we are financially - I don't know - but we're also the richest nation in the world so shouldn't we help them out? That country is beyond poor and we're not really helping them out on the regular. Maybe people are finally becoming aware of how tough they have it down there. They're essentially our neighbor and we haven't done much for them until the corpses started building up.

There is also a major difference between 9/11 and Hurrican Katrina and what happened in Haiti. There are at least 75,000 dead bodies sitting in Haiti right now and we've never experienced a calamity like that. We've been much luckier.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 11:37 AM

Honestly, With all the donations being proclaimed from around the world to Haiti, they should be a strong country. Billions are supposedly being sent.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 11:45 AM

Helping people within our country doesn't further our economic interests. Giving money to 9/11 widows, survivors, etc isn't going to open up any new markets for our companies to make money in. Financial and logistical aid is a tool of economic imperialism.

[img]All you have to do is come drive around NOLA, and see the damage that is still here.[/img]

The whole Gulf Coast was pretty much abandoned. I was living in Mississippi a couple years ago, and the main strip of Biloxi was looked like Katrina had just happened.
SS76
Posting Freak

Mood: RAMALLAH

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
Helping people within our country doesn't further our economic interests.

That's the exact sentence I was going to write.

Silence is golden but violence is platinum.
MikeResist

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 12:29 PM

With great power comes great responsibility.

Teehee.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 02:33 PM

I'm probably going to sound like a real dick here, but I can't stand reading about the sums of money our governments give out. The U.S., Canada, and several European nations give out ridiculous sums of money every year, and all you hear is how they should give out even more. Why is it our tax dollars should go everywhere but home? Billions of dollars are given out to third world countries every year, and that money is needed at home. We have legions of homeless and poor people here that need help. Education and healthcare are in desperate need of funds and are turned away every year, but we can fund these same things in other nations. How is it fair that the government gives away the tax dollars that WE give them to help out everybody instead of ourselves? I'm sick of it.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
wez138

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 03:14 PM

No matter how you view it or feel about its never going to change, they will always make some statement or some cause to give money away,and yes i might seem like i'm clutching at straws but how the fuck do we know how much and what for have they given away to some just cause. They say x amount, but who really knows?

There's always enough money to fund a war but never enough to feed the poor.

I never try and let it get to me though because i always think of it as not my money anyway, as long as i have food in belly and a roof over my head (which sounds like i dont care about anything or anyone else) its just not true,I'd just rather live my life not letting there games of power affect me because like i say it was never really mine/our money in the first place.

leaving me eyes black.
staring at a ceiling,
inside my fucking head.
begging for redemption
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 04:00 PM

I wanna know how our country can give out soo much money it doesn't have but if I am behind on a few bills I can't even get certain jobs because my credit is too bad.

I wonder what our countries "credit score" is...

BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
I'm probably going to sound like a real dick here, but I can't stand reading about the sums of money our governments give out. The U.S., Canada, and several European nations give out ridiculous sums of money every year, and all you hear is how they should give out even more. Why is it our tax dollars should go everywhere but home? Billions of dollars are given out to third world countries every year, and that money is needed at home. We have legions of homeless and poor people here that need help. Education and healthcare are in desperate need of funds and are turned away every year, but we can fund these same things in other nations. How is it fair that the government gives away the tax dollars that WE give them to help out everybody instead of ourselves? I'm sick of it.

Well said dude. Well said.

BKT.

MikeResist

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 05:11 PM

We're still considered a "world power" If this quake hit the US and there were 250,000 people dead or missing and millions out of homes, we'd be pretty pissed if other countries didn't come to our aid. It sucks that we're in debt and we can't afford to get the homeless off the streets. I guess I'm naive and I still hope there is good in people and that's why we help.

wez138

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnRefuse
It's advertising at it's worst. Everyone "contributes" which translates into getting you into a store to buy more shit, then "donate" at the register. And, it gets the name of every big company who is donating time and money to "helping" cheaper advertising because it ends up in the news which everyone knows is so reliable over here. Ulterior motives are what keep the horrible economy barely afloat. This country is not that nice.

You name me a country that does not exploit situations for its own agenda and i'll sit down and listen to a U2 album from start to finish and "enjoy it".

leaving me eyes black.
staring at a ceiling,
inside my fucking head.
begging for redemption
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 09:00 PM

North America has tried to get in with Haiti in the past, the government supported Coup in the 90's is an example of this and they never made it. Now under a national disaster they are sending in the aid so in a few years they can say "remember when..." and try to use this influence and aid to finally get what they have been after for all these years.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
wez138

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Six66Mike
North America has tried to get in with Haiti in the past, the government supported Coup in the 90's is an example of this and they never made it. Now under a national disaster they are sending in the aid so in a few years they can say "remember when..." and try to use this influence and aid to finally get what they have been after for all these years.

Madonna's after a new black baby?

leaving me eyes black.
staring at a ceiling,
inside my fucking head.
begging for redemption
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 09:16 PM

I'm a fan of Wycleff's first solo record.....
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top