Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Attn: MA..anyone work in HVAC or know anyone who does??
Rudd75

[*] posted on 4-5-2010 at 09:46 AM
Attn: MA..anyone work in HVAC or know anyone who does??

I need a job asap! I graduated school in Jan and need a job badly! looking for some insider information...
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 07:26 AM

I don't know anyone, but do you know how to make my heat turn off? I replaced the thermostat and the heat is still constantly running. NO clue why or what to do.

Furly
Posting Freak

Mood: Not your band.

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 09:08 AM

don't buy oil, or pay your gas bill. :)

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Furly
don't buy oil, or pay your gas bill. :)

That WOULD work, but it's a condo... We are wondering if it is just us or the whole building but we are afraid to say anything right now because we can't afford to fix it if it is somthing that falls on us and in the mean time we are wasting oil the association is paying for so I am sure they would make us get it fixed ASAP at any cost. We would get it checked by a profesional but can't afford it right now.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 01:05 PM

Wait...what do you have heating the place...a furnace? Is it in your unit or is it a common furnace serving multiple units?
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 01:07 PM

If it's just in your unit and you don't need the heat you could always see if the furnace is on its own breaker and just cut the power till you could have someone look at it. I'd imagine you'd want to do that before summer though if it's also blowing your AC coil.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 04:39 PM

Your thermostat may not be working. If you can get your hands on a multimeter or an ohmeter it's easy to test it.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 05:54 PM

Furnace is on a shared breaker. Already replaced the thermostat...

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 08:04 PM

If it's your solo furnace though it wont be affecting your neighbors or be the whole building. There's got to be a way to kill the power to it besides the breaker...honestly I'd just google "furnace wont shut off"...I bet you have it off within 30 minutes of reading.
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 07:05 AM

I did google searches and all I could find was thermostat problems and that got me to where I am right now. ALL of the radiator units in my condo wont shut off, not just in one particular room. Still not sure if it is just our unit or the whole building though for the previously listed reason.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 08:00 AM

I'm lost.

Where is your heat coming from. A furnace? Base board radiation? Both?

Are they both running?

If so is there a common boiler for the whole buildings radiant heat?

What previously listed reason, it's getting hard to follow what's goin wrong with multiple heat sources being mentioned now, especially since I wouldn't imagine you have a boiler in your unit.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 09:04 AM

My money's still on your thermostat. They are wired in series with the line going to your furnace, meaning that they directly break the line to it. Even if anything else in that circuit isn't right, it should still break the line if it gets too hot. I know you said you installed a new one, did you test it before you put it in? I'm an electrician, and believe me new stuff is often junk and sometimes doesn't work. Did you wire it in series or parallel? Also, according to code it should definitely be on a circuit by itself, albeit on a 2 pole breaker. There may also be a disconnect next to the furnace that you can use to shut it off as well. Another possibility, though quite unlikely is that the thermostat is placed in an odd location that's not getting an accurate reading of the ambient temperature (i.e. on a outside wall, close to a drafty door or window).

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 05:38 PM

I don't know much about that stuff. It has baseboard radiators. What kind of heat I am even unsure about, my fiance said it is oil heat. "Still not sure if it is just our unit or the whole building though for the previously listed reason." I don't know if my neighbors heat is running because if it is just our unit and I say somthing they will make us fix it ASAP and we can't afford that right now.

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 06:49 PM

ok, found our furnace room and it has 9 swithches with hour meeters on them but I don't know which one is ours. lol fuck.

newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 07:09 PM

Honestly Monty, if you're not comfortable around it, you shouldn't go messing around with it too much. It can be pretty dangerous. Without out being there in person to have a look, and based on the info I have from you I can't really be of any more help. I will say a service call will definitely cost you money, whereas asking your neighbor might not and can narrow down the problem. Let me know if you get any more info.

Go To Top