Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: i think this is hilarious (DKM related)
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-20-2010 at 07:20 PM
i think this is hilarious (DKM related)

followed a link from the Refuse Resist post by BD and eventually ended up on the DKM myspace page. here's the most recent comment, and i find it hilarious...

Quote:

20. Apr 2010 22:32

So is the next album you guys make gonna be a pure piece of watered down shit like the last two? I looked at the track listing to Live on Lansdowne and started laughing it was so pathetic. Except for "Caught in a Jar" you didn't play any other songs from Do or Die, Gangs All Here, Sing Loud Sing Proud (Okay you did throw Forever in there). My only conclusion is that you're gonna play the songs you know the new mainstream audience will know, and that's really fuckin pathetic. What will it be next? Eyeliner and a rock opera like greenday? Have fun on warped tour.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
MattyA

[*] posted on 4-20-2010 at 07:43 PM

Yeah, I saw the track listing for the new live CD/DVD and I thought the same thing. I do like the songs but I think they could have had a better list of songs. Sick of hearing Tessie & Shipping Up To Boston. Their 1st live CD was great, I would think it would be hard to do more than one live album, especially when the first one has so many of your best songs on it.
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-20-2010 at 07:50 PM

I liked the new live album. And I am a fan of all of the albums they have put out from start to finish. If I had to guess they are sick of playing a lot of those songs, because they have been playing them for years and years. I remember talking to the former bass player from Strung Out (RIP) and he was telling me his favorite thing about touring on a new album was playing new songs. While he loved all the old ones it was the newer ones that he enjoyed playing the most. I can understand this, I mean think of how many fucking times DKM has played song of of Do Or Die. They also need to play the hits, and are lucky enough to have hits because they have a lot of fans and real fans as well. What is pathetic is this fucking douche bag comparing DKM to Green Day.

BKT.

barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 4-20-2010 at 09:09 PM

The Singles Collection # 2 is by far my favorite album they have put out.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-20-2010 at 09:39 PM

I haven't heard the new live record but I believe the concept is that "Live on St. Patrick's Day" is the live representation of their first 3 studio albums and "Live on Lansdowne" is the representation of their second 3 studio records. At least..... that's what it seemed to be when I looked at the track listing.

The kid that made that comment is 20 years old. He was 8 the first year Dropkick Murphys did Warped Tour. Zoink!!! No one ever accused their audience of being smart. Not smart like Russian street dogs at least.

MattyA

[*] posted on 4-20-2010 at 11:54 PM

I was a little upset that they didn't put the Bruce Springstein song that they covered on the album.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 4-21-2010 at 05:55 AM

Dropkick can do no wrong. they have the right attitude toward the whole thing, both artistically and business wise. people love to be jealous and find faults in others who are successful, and especially the "I was there from the beginning when they were good" punk rock type fags. For a culture that thinks of itself as foward thinking and free minded, they sure are fucking narrow alot of the times. I think shopping at Old navy is punk now, GFY
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 4-21-2010 at 05:57 AM

You know what else...........Al is a better frontman for that group than Mike. yeah, I said it
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-21-2010 at 06:12 AM

As far as no wrong...their Thin Lizzy cover selection on that last album was LAME and cliche. Thin Lizzy has volumes of material that would make amazing DKM versions...and they pick that sorry old hat? Whats next, Sabbath Paranoid?
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-21-2010 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
You know what else...........Al is a better frontman for that group than Mike. yeah, I said it

Singer or frontman? Mike was really good. But as I've grown older I realize he was really just copying Johnny Peebucks from the Swingin Utters.

I thought Al's presence with the Bruisers was great. He basically used to plant himself front and center and stand there like a king looking out on his court. There was something very cool about that when I was 16.

In my humble opinion, Marc Orrell was the best natural entertainer that band ever had. The guys they have now are still great but Marc was something else. James is pretty stone cold cool too.

I've often thought about what would have happened if Mike had remained their singer. There are some things I can imagine being great with him and some things I can imagine being terrible. On the plus side he has a natural Boston accent to his voice. On the minus side he is so out of key on some of those Street Dogs' records that it's virtually unlistenable. I know Ken never would have let that happen on their records but it still shows some limitations.

Mike quit about 8 - 12 weeks after "Do or Die" was released. I suggested to Ken at the time that they go back to the studio and retrack the vocals with Al singing and reissue the record thus ending the Mike thing completely. He thought I was nuts. But if they had done that then the comparisons wouldn't even exist today. I'd like to think that 21 year old me was right with that suggestion.

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-21-2010 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
Quote:

I thought Al's presence with the Bruisers was great. He basically used to plant himself front and center and stand there like a king looking out on his court. There was something very cool about that when I was 16.

I agree completly. I am still in the school of thought that The Bruisers should have kept going (yeah, I even liked Molotov, I know some didn't and that Jeff wasn't in by that point but I still love those songs). I have seen Al with DKM a few times and he just seemed more of a frontman with The Bruisers and now it is a "shared" spotlight of sorts with DKM which it should be to a point in ANY band but I think Al just makes a great out and out, front and center type of frontman.

Sidenote: BEST show I ever went to has been and will always be Bruisers and Blood for Blood at the Elivs Room in Portsmouth, NH.

OTHER sidenote, Bruisers / Al are from PORTSMOUTH NH (such as myself), NOT BOSTON!!! ;)

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-21-2010 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XnMeX
Quote:
Quote:

I agree completly. I am still in the school of thought that The Bruisers should have kept going (yeah, I even liked Molotov, I know some didn't and that Jeff wasn't in by that point but I still love those songs). I have seen Al with DKM a few times and he just seemed more of a frontman with The Bruisers and now it is a "shared" spotlight of sorts with DKM which it should be to a point in ANY band but I think Al just makes a great out and out, front and center type of frontman.

Sidenote: BEST show I ever went to has been and will always be Bruisers and Blood for Blood at the Elivs Room in Portsmouth, NH.

OTHER sidenote, Bruisers / Al are from PORTSMOUTH NH (such as myself), NOT BOSTON!!! ;)

They're from Newburyport, you damn liar!

There was something GNR-like about the OG Bruisers. Al up front, a giant greaser on lead guitar, a frightening hardcore guy on rhythm guitar, a fall down drunk on bass. All 5 identities in the band came together in a very unique way. I'm glad to have been a fan when I was a kid and to have seen them live.

DKM is just a different animal. It's like a damn carnival up there. Someday I'm gonna show up with a unicycle and ride it across the stage and juggle while they're playing.

So that others may appreciate, the Elvis Room held about 75 people legally. Although they would put up to 225 in there.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-21-2010 at 06:12 PM

Quote:

I've often thought about what would have happened if Mike had remained their singer. There are some things I can imagine being great with him and some things I can imagine being terrible. On the plus side he has a natural Boston accent to his voice. On the minus side he is so out of key on some of those Street Dogs' records that it's virtually unlistenable. I know Ken never would have let that happen on their records but it still shows some limitations.

To me, it's Ken who is often unlistenable. I preferred it when he mostly stuck to background vocals. That voice should never be the lead vocal.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 4-21-2010 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
DKM is just a different animal. It's like a damn carnival up there. Someday I'm gonna show up with a unicycle and ride it across the stage and juggle while they're playing.

That would be something to see.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-21-2010 at 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
Quote:

To me, it's Ken who is often unlistenable. I preferred it when he mostly stuck to background vocals. That voice should never be the lead vocal.

Of course, different strokes for different folks. It's all an acquired taste. To me Ken at least stays in key. But they all (and we all in bands like them) have Muppet voices so I guess it's not that big of a deal to the people that like the stuff.

There were times where I wish Ken was the lead singer after Mike left. I enjoy his voice quite a bit. It's grown a lot over the years.

Go To Top