Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: So much for years of service
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 11:47 AM
So much for years of service

In a few more months I will have lived in this nowheresville shit stain of a town for 6 years. For all but the first couple weeks of that time I have worked for an independent company in the natural foods industry. When I started, it was just another dinky joint filled with slack ass hippies and various other slack jawed, vacant eyed employees (aside from a couple people, of course). I worked hard to actually organize different aspects of the store, reset displays, eliminate slow sellers and bring in new items that sold better, repeatedly do damage to my back in the course of a day, and various other things that provided the store with noticeable improvements. We had an amazing record of growth, 3 years straight where sales increased by 25% annually.

Eventually, it came time to expand. The decision was made to move out of the rundown building we were in and move to a new location. The owners didn't want to deal with another bad rental situation, so they built a new building that they owned outright. It's twice the size of the old place and brand new. Having never done anything on that scale before, not everything ran according to their plans. We ended up having to be closed completely for more than a month between moving out of the old space and trying to get the new space up and running.

During that time, I was there anywhere from 10 to 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, while also working another job in my off time. I was one of the only people not an official manager to be there that much and participate in that much of the move. For that matter, I set entire sections of the new store up on my own, sometimes having to take down and start over when a last minute alteration to a nearby section was implemented. Outside of my department, I was there working more than any other person in the store, management included. The only person there more was my direct boss. During this time, the owners pulled me aside and personally told me that they saw and appreciated the work I did and promised me all sorts of things in return. A guaranteed large raise and a promise that I was going to be taken care of, amongst those words.

Almost two years later and not one of those promises has been kept. After a year, I stepped down to part time and went full time at my other job. I did this in part because the other job is a place I LOVE, filled with great people I enjoy being around, but also because it had been laid out to me off the record that I was being bypassed for the positions I had been promised and had not received any raise at all even though I was still taking on new responsibilities and such. During all this, my direct boss got fed up with the direction the owners were taking with the store and quit.

Thursday, my new boss (who is nothing more than a voice for the owner and actually has not one bit of experience in this field) called me at my other job to tell me that the owner and general manager have decided they can't afford to keep paying me the rate I have earned in my years of service. Apparently, the 11 - 12 hours a week I now work there is far too expensive for them to pay for. They want to cut my pay rate by 6 dollars an hour, basically 2/5ths of my pay. Not because I've done anything wrong, not because of poor job performance, just because they say it's too much money.

Fucking bastards.

Veritas odium parit
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 12:23 PM

sounds like sales aren't covering the new building.
or they're greedy.
are you in a position where you can tell them peace out?
if not, tell them, "if you want to pay me 40% less, I'll work 40% fewer hours."

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 09:03 PM

I'm trying to sort things out so I can get the fuck out, but haven't figured it all out yet. I figured my dropping down to part time would save them a nice chunk of change, but apparently not enough.

Veritas odium parit
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-4-2010 at 04:03 PM

Kill them all.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 02:34 AM

It doesn't pay to bust your ass for people these days. Most of them don't appreciate the hard work. You're just a number.:grind:
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 10:08 AM

I turned in my notice on Thursday, my last day is the 27th. They were "gracious" enough to agree not to make the pay cut and let me work the rest of my time there at the rate I earned. It feels weird to do this. I'm scared shitless that I'm hanging myself out to dry, but at the same time it feels really good to not let them walk all over me and treat me like shit. I still have my great job at the tattoo shop and my boss there is in talks with me about other responsibilities I can take on and ways I can make more money working for him. I just had another opportunity offered to me as well, but I'm not sure I can deal with that one yet.

Also found out that my old man just had almost the same thing happen to him after fourteen years working for a company. He was their sales manager and made almost all his money off commission selling houses and lots in subdivisions built by that company. They stopped buying property and building houses and decided not to tell him until he had sold the last bit that was left. No more shit to sell, no more job. Nice how loyalty is a one way street for these fuckers.

Veritas odium parit
wez138

Mood: TMMB's.

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 06:53 PM

Did you sign a contract after cutting your hours down?

It's a crying shame how many company's around today don't offer any job security and sell the staff off at a drop of a hat, it seems to me they played you like a fiddle just to keep you sweet until the relocation was final. Just be proud you worked hard and tried your best,and yes this doesn't account for the years of hard work you've put in and worst of all, the empty promises. But at-least you can hold your head high and walk tall.

Living a life kept shut by a dream,
I'm reaching out to grasp my reality.
Hands of time wrap tight around my neck, and hit me so hard,
leaving me eyes black.
staring at a ceiling,
wondering why i never left,
penning words in a notebook,
wondering why haven't slept.
sanity is tapping in a cell
inside my fucking head.
begging for redemption
after hearing what was said.
the nights, they will not sleep
cause the days, have played for keeps.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 10:32 AM

There's no contracts in this business. It's all listed as "at will" work, which the law says entitles them to do whatever they want for the most part. As far as the relocation, we moved about two years ago and so they had more than enough time to settle in and make good on any of the bullshit promises they fed me. The fact that they hadn't done ANYTHING in regards to those promises made me make the jump to switching to part time. I should have taken the hint when shortly after I did that I kept hearing that they were asking my direct supervisor when my last day was.

Veritas odium parit
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 11:47 AM

At least your boss at the tattoo shop seems to be looking out for you as best he can. That's a huge bonus in my eyes.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
At least your boss at the tattoo shop seems to be looking out for you as best he can. That's a huge bonus in my eyes.
Truth. Great guy, great shop, amazing place to work, just hoping I can get by on that job by itself.

Veritas odium parit
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 10:19 AM

Man, I almost never look at the hate forum... sorry to see this saint. Sounds like the health foody store you worked for is going the direction Whole Foods has been going for years and most other large retail chains have been for a long time.

My cousin and aunt both worked for Wal-Mart and moved from Wisconsin to Ohio to open a new store for them. My cousin opened the store, busted her ass to set that shit up. As soon as the place was set up and opened she got canned. And of course they are anti-union, when I was 18 I worked for Wal-Mart for a minute and I remember them specifically warning us not to talk to union reps. Same thing happened at Whole Foods when I worked there and employees at other stores were trying to unionize... we were warned off from talking to union reps and told to tell management if any came in.

Loyalty don't count for shit in today's world. Especially not in the corporate or aspiring corporate world. I'm lucky to have the job I have. I'll never be wealthy or anything, but the guys I work for and with have my back because they are more than just employers and collegues... they are friends.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 08:33 PM

Thanks Dave. I've been outta that place for a little over two weeks now and it still hangs over my head. I'm finally starting to unwind a bit and leave the stresses of it behind, but I'm in the middle of trying to see how my finances are gonna hold up without it so I'm still unsure how's it all gonna go down from here on out. I've got a safety net back up plan I can dive for if things don't work out, but I'm still trying to see what I can do without resorting to that yet.

It's weird, I've been dealing with the shitty work ethic some of the younger generation has just through these jobs I've been working and I can almost understand the mentality they have where they will come in with their best face on to get hired and then do a half assed job and disappear. I don't think I could ever do that, but when employers treat people the way most of them seem to these days, it almost seems like that's all they want.

Veritas odium parit

Go To Top