Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: saving your itunes music question
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 03:33 PM
saving your itunes music question

I saved my music/itunes to 11 dvd discs back in January and I noticed that when I bought my mac and transferred the music from disc to the new computer I was missing nearly 10 gb's of music. Pretty much all H, I, J and some scattered throughout. Anyone have any idea how to save everyhting and not have this issue again. Also what may have went wrong so I can avoid this again?

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 04:44 PM

saving your music collection is as simple as dragging as many files will fit on a disc from your computer, to the disc, then burning it. honestly, it sounds like human error if you're missing h-j.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 05:57 PM

iTunes needs to get its act together. As a customer that doesn't know jack shit about technology I would expect to login at any computer and be able to access the downloads that I've purchased from them.

Uploads are another story though.

MikeResist

Mood: Everything

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 06:18 PM

Anything you've downloaded through iTunes can be redownloaded at any time using your login, Im pretty sure. Have no idea how to do it though. lol

SS76
Posting Freak

Mood: RAMALLAH

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 07:04 PM

I bought a Western Digital 160gb portable hard drive for like 60$ at walmart. So far I have 2,695 albums and about 7 gb left. I update it about once a month(drag the music files into the little icon) , and keep it at work in case anything happens to my computer or home for that matter. Peace of mind.

Silence is golden but violence is platinum.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 10:07 PM

I'd definitely suggest getting a 1TB external hard drive and backing your stuff up that way. Putting your shit on discs is a waste of time and space. An external hard drive could back up literally everything you've got.

Also, iTunes does need to get it's shit together. Like, they need to let you know how to move stuff from your iPod to a computer. Something they don't do now, don't make available through iTunes and thus you have to get another program entirely to do it.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 10:14 PM

I'm a total novice with the itunes.
it pisses me off at times.
we have 2 ipods with stuff on them here, but they were loaded on the old computer that crashed, so when we plug them in they will just erase right?
she doesnt want to risk losing her stuff so she just charges it on the i home thing and leaves it be without ever adding stuff
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
I'm a total novice with the itunes.
it pisses me off at times.
we have 2 ipods with stuff on them here, but they were loaded on the old computer that crashed, so when we plug them in they will just erase right?
she doesnt want to risk losing her stuff so she just charges it on the i home thing and leaves it be without ever adding stuff

^^^^^^ Ya I know that happend with me becasue the ipod had the total library on it but when I hooked it up to the library that was new and had some stuff missing it completely wiped them out.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
Also, iTunes does need to get it's shit together. Like, they need to let you know how to move stuff from your iPod to a computer. Something they don't do now, don't make available through iTunes and thus you have to get another program entirely to do it.

this part is deliberate, holmes. it's supposed to stop you from filling up your ipod at your boy's house, then dumpin everything on your computer.

you can still do that, though, by enabling 'disc mode'
http://www.ehow.com/how_6048162_enable-ipod-disc-use.html

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 07:46 AM

I dig my new pc and the ipod touch she got me.
i actually have the thing playing all day at work now.
once a month or so i just erase the whole damn thing and reload new songs now.
I ended up ripping close to 700 cds to our external hard drive in recent months.
with the new pc i am being more careful as to what i do with it.
eventually i will just find out all the stuff that is on their ipods and re download / rip it and just reload so they can be normal ipodders...
antihero jay

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 09:05 AM

You can download a piece of shareware called "sharepod" just search for it. It allows you to take all the music off of any ipod and put it on your computer.

Connecting the old ipod to a new computer shouldn't be a problem if you dont open itunes. The ipod will only erase what it contains if you tell it to sync in itunes with the new computer which doesn't have the same music as is on the ipod. It won't just automatically do it.
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 09:07 AM

i hate itunes, i said it before and ill say it again, the only thing its good for it putting music on or taking music off my ipod.

If i want to listen to music on my PC i have been using Winamp, for a decade or something. http://www.winamp.com

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 09:48 AM

what is there to "hate" about iTunes?

my dad can even operate it and he barely can turn on the pc w/o my moms help.
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 02:46 PM

I'm old and set in my ways, i like my winamp......:D
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 03:57 PM

for clevo's original question, i agree with BD that it sounds like "human error" if you're missing H-J. if you were missing random shit, i'd be more likely to think it's iTunes.

also, i think it's good clevo is backing up on cd/dvd. i've heard a lot of stories of multiple external hard drive failures, so an extra back-up on dvd is good to have. and it's a waste of space, but a small one... about the same space as an extra external HD back-up.

as for the others saying itunes needs to get it together, i agree but BD is right. it's meant to prevent "unauthorized" (i.e. unpaid) downloads. but it's a pain in the ass, and it has encouraged me to download via other means even when i'd pay for it. for instance, my old laptop crashed, and i noticed i lost all my music purchased via the itunes store. lots of bullshit later, i learned that - i think - you can re-download music 1-3 times (don't remember which), probably the same number as how many computers you can "authorize" with a single itunes account. when it's equally simple to download for free or to support the label via itunes, i'll go for the latter. when it's many times more difficult to use it AFTER paying for it legitimately, it creates huge incentives to do it for free and fuck over a lot of other people in the process.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral

this part is deliberate, holmes. it's supposed to stop you from filling up your ipod at your boy's house, then dumpin everything on your computer.

you can still do that, though, by enabling 'disc mode'
http://www.ehow.com/how_6048162_enable-ipod-disc-use.html

See, I can understand that particular issue... however, when your hard drive crashes and you lose your shit or don't have some alternate means of backing things up even after a catastrophic crash of your system... you should be able to use your iPod as a backup device. They just refuse to provide that information for you. Sucks hard.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 10:55 PM

But a simple google search fixes it...

Go To Top