Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hank III - Rebel Within
Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 10:45 AM
Hank III - Rebel Within

This one's on Demonoid if anyone wants to check it out. It's supposed to be a web rip, but it sounds great IMO.

As for the album itself, I'm actually not that impressed. I think "Damn Right Rebel Proud" was a lot better personally. In fact, I'm not so sure why that album seems to get slagged on by a lot of people. It's not nearly as good as "Straight To Hell", but I actually think it was a pretty solid album in its own right. This new one is just kinda bland to be honest. I was really expecting more. But it is his last album for Curb Records, so it will be very interesting to see what he does next.
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 01:14 PM

I agree with you. I got the album a while back and was over it pretty fast. Same old songs, same old lyrics and nothing really all that memorable on the album at all. Seems to me Hank is going to have a tough time topping Straight To Hell.

BKT.

Spoiler
Posting Freak

Mood: All that scene philosophy never meant a goddamned thing to me

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 01:32 PM

I've liked everything III has ever done,but I don't think he'll ever be able to top Straight To Hell.

Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoiler
I've liked everything III has ever done,but I don't think he'll ever be able to top Straight To Hell.

Yep, that is the one to beat and I'm like you, I don't think he'll ever do it. I think the absence of Joe Buck is definitely noticed as well. This new album doesn't flat out suck or anything, but it's just really really bland. Like BKT posted, it's just the same ole, same ole and the songwriting overall is just more bland this time around IMO. I mean, a song like "Drinkin' Over Mama"...c'mon, that's just scraping the bottom of the barrel IMO. And "Karmageddon" sounds like some horrible attempt at sorta rewriting his grandpa's "Kaw-Liga" in some weird way. Regardless, it doesn't work at all. And even the stuff that I do like, such as "Tore Up & Loud" is just basically "Long Hauls & Close Calls" Pt. 2.

Pretty disappointed in this one overall which sucks as I was really really looking forward to this album. I'll still buy the damn thing on vinyl though to have for my collection.
Spoiler
Posting Freak

Mood: All that scene philosophy never meant a goddamned thing to me

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle
Quote:

Yep, that is the one to beat and I'm like you, I don't think he'll ever do it. I think the absence of Joe Buck is definitely noticed as well. This new album doesn't flat out suck or anything, but it's just really really bland. Like BKT posted, it's just the same ole, same ole and the songwriting overall is just more bland this time around IMO. I mean, a song like "Drinkin' Over Mama"...c'mon, that's just scraping the bottom of the barrel IMO. And "Karmageddon" sounds like some horrible attempt at sorta rewriting his grandpa's "Kaw-Liga" in some weird way. Regardless, it doesn't work at all. And even the stuff that I do like, such as "Tore Up & Loud" is just basically "Long Hauls & Close Calls" Pt. 2.

Pretty disappointed in this one overall which sucks as I was really really looking forward to this album. I'll still buy the damn thing on vinyl though to have for my collection.

"Drinkin over Mama" is actually an old song that goes way back to the Lovesick,Broke and Driftin'" days. He has just never recorded it until now.Same thing with "six pack of beer" from Damn Right,Rebel proud....that was an old one too.
Any of his stuff is better then 98% of the bullshit their calling country these days.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 10:40 PM

Straight To Hell is just one of those records that is so good you never get sick of it, and is pretty much the Hank 3 benchmark. I liked the last one he did almost just as much though.
The old stuff is great too.
It is all genuine.
I really feel a lot of that stuff.
I am listening to this one here and it just doesn't stand up to the last 2. In fact it is kinda boring. I might have to give it a couple trys.
but like Spoiler said, it's better than most of the stuff being put out called country these days.
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 12:19 AM

Damn thats disappointing to hear that it doesn't really live up to his other stuff.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle
Quote:

"Drinkin over Mama" is actually an old song that goes way back to the Lovesick,Broke and Driftin'" days. He has just never recorded it until now.Same thing with "six pack of beer" from Damn Right,Rebel proud....that was an old one too.
Any of his stuff is better then 98% of the bullshit their calling country these days.
I knew about "Six Pack of Beer" and also "Long Hauls & Close Calls" was an older song that I think was originally called "Devil Is My Friend" or something along those lines. I didn't know "Drinkin' Over Mama" was an older one though, I had never heard it before. I guess it's "ok" for what it is, the music is pretty cool when it kicks into hellbilly mode, but eh, overall I'm not that crazy over it. I'm just disappointed that I can't seem to get into this album. I definitely do not hate it or think that it totally sucks by any means and I agree that III is totally heads and shoulders above 99% of the shit that gets passed off as "country" these days, but I damn well know he has a much better album/songs in him than what ended up on "Rebel Within". As a matter of fact, I actually like some of the live versions I've heard of the songs from the album more-so than the studio versions; big case in point, the title track. I think the live versions I've heard of it are way superior to be honest. I'm going to have to search out a version of "Drinkin' Over Mama" and check that one out as well.

Oh well, I really hope this one grows on me at some point in time. I'm actually a big fan of "Damn Right Rebel Proud" and I know a lot of people give that album a lot of shit, but I think it's fucking solid and I like it about 85% as much as I like "Straight To Hell" to be honest. One thing I actually really liked about STH was the second disc. In-between all the sound effects and random weirdness were some really cool fucking tunes. "In My Darkest Hour" fucking KILLS. I really thought that was a killer idea throwing that in with the album as a bonus. I actually made myself a version with just the songs, minus all the sound effects and random shit and I listen to it quite often. (on a pretty unrelated point, I did the same thing with Type O Negative's "Slow Deep & Hard" album - made a version without a lot of the really slow, drawn out passages - it fucking RULES)!

The Assjack album he put out last year was sort of "meh" for me as well. I ended up getting in to roughly about half of the stuff on it. I think I dig the "This Ain't Country" album that Curb refused to release better.

Regardless, I'm damn sure interested in where he's going to take his career and what kind of shit he's going to start releasing now that Curb Records are no longer in the picture. Should be one hell of a fun ride. I bet he'll put a LOT of stuff out now too. I remember reading an interview with him where he said after he got off of Curb that he wanted to put out at least 2 albums per year. So that will really kick ass.

Go To Top